Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Dec 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #406 of 597
Not that anyone's waiting with bated breath, but I thought I'd update. I received the 7X, spent five days with them, and today they went back to Mitch for an adjustment. I'll pass on elaborating, except to say the sound was not at all what I expected, so much so that I have to assume something is amiss.

I just didn't want to promise to follow up with a review then disappear. Will provide an update when they're back.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #407 of 597
Not that anyone's waiting with bated breath, but I thought I'd update. I received the 7X, spent five days with them, and today they went back to Mitch for an adjustment. I'll pass on elaborating, except to say the sound was not at all what I expected, so much so that I have to assume something is amiss.

I just didn't want to promise to follow up with a review then disappear. Will provide an update when they're back.

Was your issue solely related to fit or was there, perhaps, problems with the wiring/electrical/internal build of the 7X?

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #408 of 597
Damn, that is really disheartening to hear. If I don't like them, I'll have to take the $120 hit and return them =/

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #410 of 597
Welp, I'm really disappointed. I placed a rush order and paid extra for UPS 2nd day air shipping so that I could get my 7X before I leave for vacation in Mexico on Monday. I double checked with Mitch to make sure this would happen, and he assured me it would. 

But, it turns out they will be delivered Monday evening, and I leave 8AM Monday morning. So a completely wasted rush order. Mitch was really nice about it and even called me this morning rather concerned about it. Oh well, such is life. Now all I'll have to listen with on the beach is my ASG 1.2 =/ Totally bummed.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #411 of 597
Welp, I'm really disappointed. I placed a rush order and paid extra for UPS 2nd day air shipping so that I could get my 7X before I leave for vacation in Mexico on Monday. I double checked with Mitch to make sure this would happen, and he assured me it would. 

But, it turns out they will be delivered Monday evening, and I leave 8AM Monday morning. So a completely wasted rush order. Mitch was really nice about it and even called me this morning rather concerned about it. Oh well, such is life. Now all I'll have to listen with on the beach is my ASG 1.2 =/ Totally bummed.

Wow that sucks, but on a positive note, I remember reading someone losing their miracles on the beach. So in a way, it's a good thing!

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #412 of 597
Yeah, that's what I was telling myself—it's an omen that I'm gonna get robbed or something haha. So maybe it is a good thing. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #413 of 597
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like bringing customs near any form of water (especially salt water) would be a bad time unless you kept them in at all times.

Oh well, can't wait on your report of how they sound! How long are you on vaca?

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #414 of 597
Quote:

When you get back, you can complain about how they don't fit--something to look forward to!

Welcome to custom iems!

P.S. Taking expensive customs to the beach would be a terrible idea.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #415 of 597
Maybe Mitch was saving you from yourself, lol.  And the fit is almost all about the impressions and how deep they are taken.  In my numerous talks with various manufactures, professional impressions range from great to horrid, requiring filling and being a mess, requiring the lab tech to fix it.

Anyways, looking forward to your thoughts once you can hear the 7X.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #416 of 597
Haha yeah I agree, beach listening is probably not a good idea. But it would sure be nice to block out whiny babies on the long plane ride, and listen poolside. But I digress, I'll stick them in my ears when i get home the 18th, given that there aren't any fit issues. I've seen too many people having ciem fit issues around here lately.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #417 of 597
Quote:
I've (thankfully) thinned my IEM collection down in recent months.. so I don't have much to compare to.. my listening now is primarily with the T50RP Paradox & HD600 headphones.  My 4.A custom is being worked on at Heir & the GR07 MKII is out on loan.  The H-100 has few similarities to the 6X signature, so comparisons there aren't all that relevant.

I feel I've got a very good handle on what's neutral, balanced, warm, etc., so I'm comfortable evaluating it on its own terms.  My source was the iPhone 4 (unamped), as well as with the Leckerton UHA-6 MKII & Objective 2.. I also used it with the UHA-6S MKII's DAC & the ODAC+O2.. and the Tube-DAC-11's DAC (and solid state output).  All these are quite neutral, transparent, uncolored sources/amps, IME.  All music used was well recorded/mastered from a variety of genres.

After letting my ears adjust to the 6X's fit (which was very good for the most part.. there could be some adjustments.. but nothing that seriously impacted sound quality/seal/insertion depth), the 6X' treble had a smooth overall character (in line with what seems to be the DreamEarz 'house sound/tuning'), but cymbals and snares were, respectively, splashy & lacked definition.  Snares hits had a flat, 'washed out' quality to them.. cymbals sounded somewhat strident (alliteration, ma!).  It felt like the upper & mid-treble were well controlled and articulated, but the lower treble/upper midrange was peaky.  Again, I assure you fit wasn't an issue.  I've owned a number of customs and am quite suer when the fit is off or affecting sound quality.  The 6X' midrange was smooth, slightly warm, slightly thick, and dynamic.. it's really well done & the intimate midrange was quite engaging.  What I wanted was a bit more openness & air. This isn't really a knock on the 6X as the midrange presentation felt accurate for the intended purposes (a stage monitor).. it just didn't align with my personal, subjective desire.  The 6X' bass was excellent.. extended deep, was linear, fast, and textured quite naturally.. it reminded me of the UM Miracle's bass in some ways (though the Miracle's bass was more boosted, generally speaking).

Technically.. I felt the 6X delivered for the price.. but the slightly bright, mid-forward tuningwasn't exactly what I was looking for in terms of the signature.

you hit the nail on the head about cymbals,snares the mids seem to vary for me depending on song and the soundstage is probably the best thing about them, the low's are great too and I'm satisfied. I only have issues listening to mars volta/at the drive in because of the cymbals and snares being too harsh for me and the mids seems recessed when listening to mars volta/at the drive in/ tool but I might try an amp out and see if it fixes anything also I might be too use to the hd650's signature I feel its a possibility. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #418 of 597
I've found the DreamEarz Aud 7X to be way superior to the 5X!

Here is my story. I'm a amateur musician (guitar, bass) and a first time In Ear Monitor buyer. I bought several pairs of mid-range ($100-$200) non-custom in-ear buds but my ears are shaped such that they kept falling out. So I gave the best of the earbuds to my wife and decided to go with IEMs. After much research (including here on head-fi) I purchased a pair of 5Xs. This was just before the 7X was announced.

Well the 5Xs arrived and, this being my first time with IEMs, I was not sure what to expect. I found the sound to be quite different from traditional headphones, not as bassy, but much more precise and clear. And far superior to any of the non-custom in-ear buds I had tried. However the fit did not seem to work for me. They actually hurt when I wore them for more than 15 min. So I sent them back. Mitch was very responsive. Everything said on this thread about his great customer service is completely true. By this time Mitch had announced the 7X so I had him upgrade the IEMs.

I expected a better fit but, to be honest, I did not expect I would be able tell much difference with the 7X. So many people on this thread are expert and talk about subtle differences in sound that seem a bit beyond me. But I was surprised to find the differences were not subtle. I popped in the 7Xs and immediately could tell they were better. Much more mid-range sound. The highs were sharper as well. For me it was all toghether a more immersive experience. I thought they sounded great, and well worth the upgrade. Even direct to my IPhone or Mac they are excellent but I bought an Audioengine D1 to run them through (I love it by the way!) and It made them super clear. Now I just want to listen all the time.

Unfortunately the fit was still not right (Mitch had only made small adjustments to the shells) so I ended up getting a new set of impressions and having Mitch re-shell them. He did all this at no charge. Now I have the new shells. The fit seems much better. I need to put them in for a really long session (several hours) to be sure but I'm encouraged.

Overall I am very happy with the Aud 7X and I'm glad I upgraded from the 5X.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #419 of 597
Hey rrosen, glad to hear that you're enjoying the 7x that much more than  the 5x!!  Mitch will certainly figure out the fit of that I'm sure lol he's a really good guy.  Anyway, quick question for you.  Did you find that the 7x was any more or less bright than the 5x?  I like the rich, warm, smooth character of the 5x but would certainly like more midrange, but don't want to add any brightness to the sound.  

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #420 of 597
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by brightness.   I don't think the 7Xs color the mid-range or low frequencies (although there is more mid-range there). The highs are more additive.  Something like a high cymbal comes through clearer and stronger. If you are listening to audio with highs you will hear it more.  You may or may not want this.  In my limited listen the 5Xs were really good.  I personally am happier with the 7X in both mid and treble range but I can see where the 5X sound might have a strong appeal to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back