Dreading the thought of ending high school
Sep 13, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #16 of 52
This might sound a bit harsh, but IMO life is better if you can embrace change and move on. If you continue to rely on people outside your social circle (ie. old highschool friends in Spain) for emotional strength you're not really doing this. I'm not saying "don't keep in touch"... I still talk to a couple guys I've known for some 20 years every few months or so, but that's a different thing.

I'm sorta a social nomad though, at any given time the people I'll have in my life were unknowns to be a few years prior. Cool people are everywhere if you always have your best foot forward.

Sep 13, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #17 of 52
I just graduated high school, and while it's an adjustment, it hasn't been too bad to me. Graduation can make you grow closer to your good friends and distance yourself from your not-so-good friends. Just find your school's blogging site of choice (mine's MySpace) and IM network of choice (AIM), and it becomes pretty easy to keep in touch with people.

Sep 13, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
i know i may be too young to start thinking of this stuff but, how did you guys handle leaving high school and all your friends to go to uni/college? i mean, i was in a lot of trouble finding true friends. i for some reaosn always hung out with the popular kids but never really felt a part of their little chain of friendship so i met some new people and like them a lot! but now, only 2 more years together and thats it. we wont see eachother as often as we wouldve at high school. im sad
frown.gif
. like, i would love to have more time, or go back in time and meet them sooner. life sucks lol.

College is way better than high school.

There is no comparison.

If your high school friends are worth keeping in touch, you will keep in touch over summer/breaks. It's easy.

-Matt

Sep 13, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #19 of 52
I am Junior in HS as well and have some good friends. I am hoping to stay friends for a very long time, we have emails, AIM, phone, i think its possible to keep in touch with old friends

Sep 13, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #20 of 52
I hated high school... aside from tennis and volleyball it was just a step into college to start my career, and get serious about life.

For me it was a sigh of relief

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #21 of 52
wow, you all have very different opinions and suggestions. thanks for all your support. i guess for me its not the easiest to let go of things. luckily i find some of my friends want to persue the same career as i do. but im not getting my hopes up. its like, when you think about living by yourself, compared to living with your family before moving out, its quiet... you feel somethings missing. like the atmosphere that your family sets in a house or room. thats how i think of it, a class room with different people, people who arent the people i know from HS.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 52
Bah - don't worry about it. People come and go. Plus, it is better to have no company than to have bad company. Hopefully, you will meet nice people in college for sure. I remember being sad because I wouldn't be seeing my high school sweetheart everyday. We broke up a year later and it was painful at the time. Since then I look back at the break-up and leaving high school and I THANK GOD it happened. So many new experiences would never have come about had that never happened.

Since high school I have broadened my horizons. I found there were other women, some better, some a hell of a lot better and some worse. Hell, I even dated a few models. I became a world traveler. I made a lot more new friends. And best (or worst according to my wallet) of all, I discovered Head-fi.
icon10.gif

So in short - high school is not an end but rather the beginning of your life as an adult. You will grow exponentially and, if your lucky, you will enjoy it. Keep your chin up and focus on your future. Life will take care of the rest.
cool.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #23 of 52
Some friends, however, you will cherish them for the rest of your life. Example for me is all my band friends (I'm part of my school band). Being around people that enjoys the same passion as you (in my case, music) will bond you, more so than you may think. The good thing is that this passion will keep you connected for a long, long time.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 52
Interesting story from my experience. Almost everyone I know who went to college or university with their high school friends ended up not being friends with them anymore. Some made the mistake of rooming with their high school buddies and became bitter enemies.

University is a chance for you to make a fresh start and grow & mature as a person. The chances of that happening are slim with your high school buddies around you all the time to fall back on. You never get the chance to really go out there and stand on your own two feet. You don't change and you don't learn what you're made of and what you can do, it becomes too easy to get stuck in the same old rut.

That's why I went as far away from Toronto as I could get, far enough that I could only come home for Christmas and at the end of the school year. The rest, I was on my own and I loved it and made the most of it.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #25 of 52
I really did hate the school I went to, I mean...I was forced to go there and leave all my public school friends behind, I still never had friends of the same calibre. Anyway, they didn't have Japanese at this school
frown.gif

Umm let's see, I enjoyed just being able to hang out during school and not really having to worry about it. While at college it is "slack" I do worry a lot more about making it to class and dread getting up in the morning versus wanting to go to school in HS. I think part of this reason is that I live with/in close proximity to my friends here and in HS the easiest way to see them was during/after school and so I enjoyed going.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 52
College has been the greatest three years of my life thus far. I had a lot of friends, and, like you, hung out with the popular crowd too. They weren't my true friends, though, and I am lucky that I am now doing business with my best friend -- we're cooking up something big.

We both live in the city, share apartments, and both go to NYU. New York City greatly enhanced my life, though living in Cambridge while attending MIT was fantastic as well.

You won't be nearly as upset about losing your friends when you start going to some of the parties
biggrin.gif
I've had some.... awesome... experiences
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #27 of 52
ultimately, it's about accepting change and being okay with change.

yes, high school is over and it was great, but you will be such a different person next year that you will be glad to have your highschool memories with you but as memories.

Keep in mind that the developmental stage of high school and all of the experiences therein are linked with you learning about yourself (physically and mentally) so those experiences are fleeting (I'd say about 4 years worth
biggrin.gif
) at best.

This is not to take away from, in fact it enriches the whole experience.

If I can take from Pindar's Pythian "My soul, do not seek immortal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible."

Didn't mean to get all cheesedick on you!

cheers

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Bah - don't worry about it. People come and go. Plus, it is better to have no company than to have bad company...

Exactly. I believe the loneliest people of all are those who never could open themselves up to new experiences and early on got locked into a marriage that should have never happened, etc.

I had mostly the same group of friends from college until my mid 20s. While good times were to be had all around, it eventually soured - just not on my end, but all around. Too much drama. I should have walked away when I graduated, now I know, but back then I was too scared about having to work from a clean slate... when I was 25 I moved downtown, about 20 miles away, and within a few months had no contact with anyone save one guy. Nothing ended badly, just ended - from what I understand most of the group split (about a couple dozen people). So suddenly I was downtown with one friend to my name. It should have been stressful "what do I do now?" but it was just the opposite. It was so nice to get rid of all that baggage I had to deal with on a daily basis, my phone ringing 100 times a day, always having to take sides on something. Started up playing the guitar again, took vocal lessons, got a dog, read up on things I never had the time to before. Within 6 months I had a couple new groups to hang out with, which I don't know would have happened if I didn't have time to 'decompress'. Just like getting out of a long term relationship. It's best to learn this stuff as early as possible.

IMO it's best to see a situation as it is - (not through 'your' eyes, but in a third person fly on the wall sorta way - and learn to work it to your fullest advantage. When you're in an emotional rut, stuck in the past, it's hard to see what that may be. It's all about going with the flow, looking at life experientially first, personally second.

Sep 26, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #29 of 52
wow i cant keep track of my threads...

thansk for your support guys, im still in a chrisis with friends right now.

wor dof advice for the men out there: talk about your feelings, it works! it sounds "gay" but honestly, its better out and it wont stay in your chest and make you sick. ive talked to most of my friends (real ones) lately and theyve been the biggest help compared to the fakes.

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #30 of 52
I was worrying too but there is nothing to worry about. In fact u should be excited! University is the best thing ever, way better than high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back