Dreading the thought of ending high school
Sep 13, 2005 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

South_Korean

1000+ Head-Fier
i know i may be too young to start thinking of this stuff but, how did you guys handle leaving high school and all your friends to go to uni/college? i mean, i was in a lot of trouble finding true friends. i for some reaosn always hung out with the popular kids but never really felt a part of their little chain of friendship so i met some new people and like them a lot! but now, only 2 more years together and thats it. we wont see eachother as often as we wouldve at high school. im sad
frown.gif
. like, i would love to have more time, or go back in time and meet them sooner. life sucks lol.

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 52
college is the greatest thing ever. Don't worry about it. Also, there's no reason you can't see your friends still, especially if you go in-state.

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 52
yeah but some are making huge plans on going to spain or whatever. gah. i know everyone says how great uni or whatever is, but i come to notice that i wasted so many years with other people. people who were a bunch of fakes and low lifes... boy did i make the wrong choice.

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 52
My favourite time of my life was back in highschool, even though I did everything to fast track and get to university. I relished many of those times and I certainly reflected on parting ways as you are now. It does happen mind you but sometimes things work out! After many years apart, studying in various different countries, my "circle of friends" have ironically enough reunited. We live mostly within 15 minutes of eachother in a large metro (for Canada) and the last few stragglers live about 100 km away, or 1 hour driving. Not too shabby at all! We make attempts to meet up every few months, those in the same city, every few weeks if we can swing it. What is nice is that we have all started families about the same time. So out of the 5 couples (very odd that there was a lot of hook ups within the group) 3 have children and the oldest is 3 and the youngest is well...T minus 3 weeks
wink.gif

Life has a funny way of keeping those close to your heart, close. It may not be tomorrow, or after your first year at school or ever the first decade, but it can happen. For the time being I'm loving it, though obviously we are at a very different stage in our lives now. Once I graduate for the final time in my life, I likely won't live in this country anymore and that could be permanent. This will be taken as a very good thing, positive and desired, yet a big part of me will be saddened and lost. Life just goes on!

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
yeah but some are making huge plans on going to spain or whatever. gah. i know everyone says how great uni or whatever is, but i come to notice that i wasted so many years with other people. people who were a bunch of fakes and low lifes... boy did i make the wrong choice.

It's not too late to correct those mistakes. You're going to meet a lot of great people in college. I met some of my closet friends there (though things have changed after graduation, but that's another story...). At least now you know what type of people are your true friends now.

Point is don't think of this only as the end of your high school life but the beginning of your college life. You'll make new friends.
icon10.gif

Sep 13, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 52
just keep intouch with people. Use email msn or whatever. I have friends who now live in Switzerland and I live in Australia, yet we still talk every week or 2.

Stay close to the selected friends you really like and nothing can disapoint you. In college you'll realise highschool was crap. At work you'll realise how much free time you had in highschool. And in retirement you'll realise how bored you are.

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 52
don't really have too many friends @ my school. will be graduating this year. don't think i'll be missing anything except my family. except for maybe 2 or 3 people, i don't really have any common interests or anything meaningful to talk about.

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 52
I despised HS . . but after leaving, I realized that it had its good points. I go to a local community college, so I see a few familiar faces on campus. I do miss some of my female friends who went to state schools.
frown.gif

Quote:

people who were a bunch of fakes and low lifes

Fakes, posers, etc are usually doomed after HS. Not academically, but socially. There are a lot more mature people in higher ed, and they don't deal with them. I don't.

Sophmore and senior year I met some great mates, some of which I still keep in contact with. Whenever I see a person from the old school, I try to say hi. And people do change, my old enemies ended being really nice to me. The snobby girl who wouldn't give ya the time of day might not mind having lunch with you now. Yada Yada.

College is hit or miss . . . my cousin goes to boston U., and doesn't get along with anyone. He drifted away from his old buds and just hangs out with family. Me, I've met more friendly and diverse people now than in HS. Only real beef is that very few asian girls round here (specifically cambodian, my peeps) go to higher ed. Most just end 12th and find work. It's a b**ch trying to find a date.

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 52
Consider yourself lucky. Ten years ago I left Bangkok w/o saying bye to many of my friends. It has been a struggle for me to track most of them now. Today's technologies really allow people to keep in touch. Back then we didn't have e-mail or instant messenger, so I pretty much lost contact with many of my good friends. I'm still regret about not be able to keep touch with so many of my friends.

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 52
you will not lose your true friends. I'm on my second week of university, and i have to agree its all people said it was, lots of friendly people, and a huge population of all colors and flavors. You will find new friends there for sure. Funny thing i went through the same thing leaving jr high, and yet all through high school, i kept a very close friend even though we went to totally different schools. we got together once a month or something and just hung out. those friends that hold you dear and near will not let distance seperate you, and I can say that me and my friend are closer friends than 99% of my friends at school. A real friend is that someone who calls you up to hang out even though the only connection you guys had was a class together 5 years ago.

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 52
I couldn't wait to get the heck out of high school, the last couple years were sort of ok, but the first 3 were pure hell. Other than my GF, I can count the number of people I still keep in touch with from high school on one hand, and that includes my GF's sister. It's not something I have fond memories of at all, we had some good times but the vast majority of it sucked donkey balls.

University on the other hand was the time of my life, they were the best 5 years I ever had. The friendships and life experiences I had there I'll treasure for the rest of my life. It's hard for me to keep in touch since I went to university in Ottawa and live in Toronto, but we all email each other and we call each other up when we can. Wonderful people who've greatly enriched my life and helped make me who I am today.

Sep 13, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 52
High school ain't that bad, and if you have MSN, you'll be fine. I was gone for a few weeks this summer and MSN kept me in touch with all my friends. (I also found out they had a party without me....damned MSN). Just keep all your friends' e-mail or IM, you'll be fine, don't worry about it.

Sep 13, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 52
High school for me was awful. I was so happy when I got the hell out of there and got away from the people. I still keep in touch with a few close friends, mostly through the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back