Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #946 of 1,192
has anyone used DF cobalt with Sennheiser hd 660s? In theory there is enough juice but i m affraid of the harsh treble. I never listened to hd 660s but read that it s brightet then hd 650 and i m wondering if the pairing with ESS dac will sound too disturbing to my ears.
i alsoread that cobalt tames bright headphones but it didn t happen with Beyers which are treble beasts.
I am also interested in this pairing. I bought the Cobalt and I am looking for a good headphone and the 660 S is one I am looking at.

A person who has had both told me that they have a perfect synergy, but I would like to hear other opinions.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #947 of 1,192
I am also interested in this pairing. I bought the Cobalt and I am looking for a good headphone and the 660 S is one I am looking at.

A person who has had both told me that they have a perfect synergy, but I would like to hear other opinions.
I m right now considering either the hd 660s or the lcd1, which would be on the safe side, quite neutral.

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #948 of 1,192
I m right now considering either the hd 660s or the lcd1, which would be on the safe side, quite neutral.
I’m haven’t heard the LCD1 but having heard the lcd2 and having owned the lcd-4z I would say to beware because if the lcd-1 follows the traditional Audeze house sound it will be dark, not neutral. Listen to them first if you can

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #950 of 1,192
For me, dark is ok, i cannot tolerate bright treble it seems.
I cannot stand overly bright either, but there is a distinct difference between neutral (not bright) and the dark sound of the Audeze's. I hate bright headphones and used the LCD-4z but always felt something missing from the top end so that in the end I had to swap them out regardless of the fact that apart from that "dark" signature (which is purely a question or personal taste) they were exemplary HPs.

I cannot say what the LCD 1s sound like as I have honestly never heard them, however I would serious suggest you give them a listen before you buy as there is a definite difference between what I would personally define as neutral or not-bright and the typical Audeze house sound.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #951 of 1,192
I cannot stand overly bright either, but there is a distinct difference between neutral (not bright) and the dark sound of the Audeze's. I hate bright headphones and used the LCD-4z but always felt something missing from the top end so that in the end I had to swap them out regardless of the fact that apart from that "dark" signature (which is purely a question or personal taste) they were exemplary HPs.

I cannot say what the LCD 1s sound like as I have honestly never heard them, however I would serious suggest you give them a listen before you buy as there is a definite difference between what I would personally define as neutral or not-bright and the typical Audeze house sound.
Which headphones do you use or prefer to use on Cobalt?

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #952 of 1,192
Which headphones do you use or prefer to use on Cobalt?
The best headphones I used with the cobalt are the KSE1200 but that is down to the headphones not the cobalt itself as they aren’t really comparable to the SE846.

I am now using the DFC exclusively with the SE846s (as my super portable system) and I’m very happy with the setup as I am driving the kse1200 from a mojo as my “transportable system”.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #953 of 1,192
I use Cobalt from an Android smartphone with UAPP.

Is it normal that with fairly sensitive IEMs - 111 dB - it has to go beyond 50-60% to get a good listening volume?

Or do I need to set some settings to get full power?

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #954 of 1,192

Is it normal that with fairly sensitive IEMs - 111 dB - it has to go beyond 50-60% to get a good listening volume?

Can’t say I’m afraid, I’m using it on an iPhone and with the SE846s I’m on about 30 % approximately

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #955 of 1,192

DFC eats your phone battery real fast though.
Use Colbalt for laptop now.
Use Mojo with Note9. Batteries are separated and much better for both units.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #956 of 1,192
DFC eats your phone battery real fast though.
Use Colbalt for laptop now.
Use Mojo with Note9. Batteries are separated and much better for both units.
The cobalt does chew through the battery but if you consider the size and cost the DFC is excellent (and this is from someone who openly acknowledges the superiority of the mojo SQ wise).
The DFC has other characteristics which the mojo cannot match. Different horses for different courses.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #957 of 1,192
I used BTR5 in USB DAC mode with charge ON and it consumed more battery than the DFC. The battery consumption with the Cobalt does not seem so excessive to me.

The sound quality is truly head and shoulders above. It sounds more natural and effortless, more detail and a soundstage and three-dimensionality that the BTR5 absolutely did not have.

I had also thought about the Mojo, but I didn't want to keep up with its battery which often starts to give problems earlier than expected and is expensive to replace.

However, I would be curious to read other comparisons, as well as with Mojo also with something like IFI Nano iDSD BL, Topping NX4 DSD, E1DA 9038D ...

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #958 of 1,192
I used BTR5 in USB DAC mode with charge ON and it consumed more battery than the DFC. The battery consumption with the Cobalt does not seem so excessive to me.

The sound quality is truly head and shoulders above. It sounds more natural and effortless, more detail and a soundstage and three-dimensionality that the BTR5 absolutely did not have.

I had also thought about the Mojo, but I didn't want to keep up with its battery which often starts to give problems earlier than expected and is expensive to replace.

However, I would be curious to read other comparisons, as well as with Mojo also with something like IFI Nano iDSD BL, Topping NX4 DSD, E1DA 9038D ...
The mojo is a clearly superior DAC imho, it is ever so slightly warmer and resolves transients far better which is typical of all chord dacs. It is more musical and the music simply sounds more realistic.
But it is much larger than the DFC and costs a lot more and frankly the DFC is perfectly good enough as a DAC in its own right that, added to its form factor, makes it an excellent product.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #959 of 1,192
I am very happy with the Cobalt SQ.

I'm a little worried about the driving power, I bought a 660 S and now I'm not sure if I can drive it at its best.

If it's not powerful enough for the 660 S I'll have to resell it and probably go to an IFI device, although I've read about it that they sound maybe a little too warm, I'll have to evaluate.

I will still keep the classic Mojo in mind anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back