Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #361 of 1,192
Today I received my DragonFly Cobalt and I am a little bit disappointed.

The sound of DFC is for me too energetic and bright up top. I do not recommend DFC to people who are sensitive to energetic and bright sound.

Chord Mojo in comparison is of course bigger and pricier but its more relaxed sounding and I prefer it to DFC.

I also have the Cobalt and Mojo myself.

I definitely prefer the Cobalt, it has got a more dimensional and open sound even though it suffers a defeat in absolute texture detail. If the Cobalt is a 90Hz monitor, the Mojo is 120Hz.

Perhaps you find the Cobalt too bright because your headphones/earphones are bright to start off with?

If that is the case then I can see why you would find the Mojo relaxing by comparison.

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #362 of 1,192
I tested Cobalt with Audioquest Nightowl and Creative Aurvana SE. I can hear the Cobalt brightness on both.
No such problems on Mojo and Arcam rHead + Schiit Modi 3.
I definitely agree that Cobalt sounds more open compared to Mojo but overall for me Mojo is the better sounding device.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #363 of 1,192

Give it 100hrs to break in. It's early. The soundstage will open up and the treble will feel a little less congested and smooth out a tad. It's never going to sound like your Mojo or my Micro iDSD BL. But considering the form factor it's amazing. Perhaps you can EQ a little bit...?

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #364 of 1,192
Give it 100hrs to break in. It's early. The soundstage will open up and the treble will feel a little less congested and smooth out a tad. It's never going to sound like your Mojo or my Micro iDSD BL. But considering the form factor it's amazing. Perhaps you can EQ a little bit...?

A digital component breaks-in? I can understand mental break-in, but this would be quite the stretch.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #365 of 1,192
A digital component breaks-in? I can understand mental break-in, but this would be quite the stretch.
Its best to ignore these posts. Too much religion. Honestly, I can't hear the difference between most DACs, let alone break-in of electronics. No good can come from engaging.

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #366 of 1,192
I have Cobalt and Mojo. I like C most with my Shure se846, which us known for its ‘darker’ sound and M with my Andromeda wich is slightly brighter. Not looking for more at the moment (except a refill wodka/organge as I write poolside holiday in S-France, lol).

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #367 of 1,192

The sound of DFC is for me too energetic and bright up top. I do not recommend DFC to people who are sensitive to energetic and bright sound.

Chord Mojo in comparison is of course bigger and pricier but its more relaxed sounding and I prefer it to DFC.
Have a mojo and had a red til it broke. Found the red a little bright. The highs were interesting to hear with instruments because it seemed more detailed, but mojo is much better overall. Also use XDSD, and was contemplating DFC, so glad I'm not really missing out

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #368 of 1,192
I wouldn't call myself an audiophile at all, but I do appreciate better sound. I own a DFR and a DFC and they both unquestionably sound better with my 1More Quads than just having them in the headphone jack. I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two. So far, the DFC sounds fuller and louder and clearer, however the soundstage seems narrower? The DFR seems like it has a wider soundstage than the DFC, but it's a weird soundstage where it sounds more like a U than anything. It sounds like stuff behind other stuff rather than across where the DFC sounds mostly on the same level horizontally, but with that it feels like the DFR is wider. Or am I mistaken? I'm not sure. Will that change with burn in?

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #370 of 1,192
The DFR seems like it has a wider soundstage than the DFC, but it's a weird soundstage where it sounds more like a U than anything. It sounds like stuff behind other stuff rather than across where the DFC sounds mostly on the same level horizontally, but with that it feels like the DFR is wider. Or am I mistaken? I'm not sure. Will that change with burn in?

I think it will change a bit with burn in. Only question is when is that? 100hrs? 200hrs? Yes.

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #372 of 1,192
I wouldn't call myself an audiophile at all, but I do appreciate better sound. I own a DFR and a DFC and they both unquestionably sound better with my 1More Quads than just having them in the headphone jack. I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two. So far, the DFC sounds fuller and louder and clearer, however the soundstage seems narrower? The DFR seems like it has a wider soundstage than the DFC, but it's a weird soundstage where it sounds more like a U than anything. It sounds like stuff behind other stuff rather than across where the DFC sounds mostly on the same level horizontally, but with that it feels like the DFR is wider. Or am I mistaken? I'm not sure. Will that change with burn in?

You mean youre hearing depth instead of flat sound?

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #373 of 1,192
I think it will change a bit with burn in. Only question is when is that? 100hrs? 200hrs? Yes.

Please excuse my dumb question (and probably out of topic:
Does it considered “burn in” if I plug-in the DFC/DFR on my turned-on PC without playing any sound? There is light on the LED and it is a very little bit tad temperature on it

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #374 of 1,192
Please excuse my dumb question (and probably out of topic:
Does it considered “burn in” if I plug-in the DFC/DFR on my turned-on PC without playing any sound? There is light on the LED and it is a very little bit tad temperature on it

No you would need to be sending some kind of signal for it to process if you believe in burn in, that led is just indicating what the pc samplerate it set to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back