Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Aug 19, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #392 of 1,192
Returning to an earlier issue in the thread, my dragonfly cobalt has now failed completely due to the USB component loosening from the housing to the point where it retracts into the housing rather than engaging. I ordered mine very early post release, it has had moderate use but no rough handling. I think this will indicate a serious manufacturing flaw and would advise against buying this product until a formal response from audioquest is forthcoming. In Australia the local distributor has warranty liability.

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #393 of 1,192
Returning to an earlier issue in the thread, my dragonfly cobalt has now failed completely due to the USB component loosening from the housing to the point where it retracts into the housing rather than engaging. I ordered mine very early post release, it has had moderate use but no rough handling. I think this will indicate a serious manufacturing flaw and would advise against buying this product until a formal response from audioquest is forthcoming. In Australia the local distributor has warranty liability.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #394 of 1,192

Sorry to hear that, You get what you paid for... wait, I take that back.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #395 of 1,192
I sincerely hope and trust that Audioquest will respect their warranty. It would be suicide if they didn’t, especially with initial production runs always being more liable to problems

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #396 of 1,192
Picked up my DFC this morning and have already run some quick A/B comparisons against the DFR, both running from iPhone XR through CCK2 into B&W P7s. Initial impressions: the low end seems less boomy and more controlled on the cobalt which also reaches slightly lower down so overall a noticeable improvement. Cannot assess the mid frequencies properly given the time constraints and this will need more listening later this evening. The highs are noticeably clearer, I think the window cleaning analogy used by one reviewer is very apt, the DFR opens a window into the sound but the DFC cleans it better. Maybe saying the DFC removes all the glass from the window and lets you “see” with absolutely no distortion is an exaggeration but the general idea is there as the DFC definitely sounds a little clearer. I have also noted that 3D imaging has improved with the soundstage having become more three dimensional (ie deeper) with the DFC.

Now these are noticeable differences with a direct A/B comparison of both dragonflies and as is usually the case when specifically listening out for differences in a comparison you tend to notice them more than you would ordinarily. Personally some may not want to upgrade if they already have a DFR but I would definitely say that the sonic differences are there and, to my mind, worth the extra cost, especially if you don’t have either of the two and are considering being a first time buyer and evaluating an difference of $100 or equivalent. Whether the same is the case to someone that already has a DFR and would have to pay the full price for a new product is subjective. Either way I would strongly recommend anyone to go for an A/B comparison before buying.

Regarding the construction the USB connection seems very solid, on par with my DFR however the headphone socket seems ever so slightly loose. Nothing worrisome but given previous comments I thought it worth my while to note this.

Overall quite pleased and looking forward to some more serious listening later today with much better headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #397 of 1,192
Hi everyone, I need help to chose between xDSD and DFC.

I can get both for the same price. previously I sold my mojo and hoped mojo 2 will come soon but nothing until now :p

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #399 of 1,192
Picked up my DFC this morning and have already run some quick A/B comparisons against the DFR, both running from iPhone XR through CCK2 into B&W P7s. Initial impressions: the low end seems less boomy and more controlled on the cobalt which also reaches slightly lower down so overall a noticeable improvement. Cannot assess the mid frequencies properly given the time constraints and this will need more listening later this evening. The highs are noticeably clearer, I think the window cleaning analogy used by one reviewer is very apt, the DFR opens a window into the sound but the DFC cleans it better. Maybe saying the DFC removes all the glass from the window and lets you “see” with absolutely no distortion is an exaggeration but the general idea is there as the DFC definitely sounds a little clearer. I have also noted that 3D imaging has improved with the soundstage having become more three dimensional (ie deeper) with the DFC.

Now these are noticeable differences with a direct A/B comparison of both dragonflies and as is usually the case when specifically listening out for differences in a comparison you tend to notice them more than you would ordinarily. Personally some may not want to upgrade if they already have a DFR but I would definitely say that the sonic differences are there and, to my mind, worth the extra cost, especially if you don’t have either of the two and are considering being a first time buyer and evaluating an difference of $100 or equivalent. Whether the same is the case to someone that already has a DFR and would have to pay the full price for a new product is subjective. Either way I would strongly recommend anyone to go for an A/B comparison before buying.

Regarding the construction the USB connection seems very solid, on par with my DFR however the headphone socket seems ever so slightly loose. Nothing worrisome but given previous comments I thought it worth my while to note this.

Overall quite pleased and looking forward to some more serious listening later today with much better headphones.

How did you do the direct A/B comparison? Did you account for the fact that DFC is playing louder than DFR at the same volume setting, so that everything would sound clearer with a better soundstage if you do not compensate for the difference in volume, because it's how our brains perceive the higher volume?

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #401 of 1,192
heya ElectricL did you manage to check the background hiss on the DFC 846 combo? Im interested in the same combo for my travel needs.
Hi

Like I said earlier, I'm no audiophile. Listening to Tidal on my phone (op7 pro) there is an audible hiss on some songs and in the very quiet parts in the music you can here some hiss. It's not much and nothing that bothers me. Listening toTidal on the PC it's much cleaner and the hiss is even lower, you can barely hear it. I was very impressed with the sound when streaming mqa. The sound was full with nice separation and crisp highs. No eq whatsoever.

The Cobalt seems to put out a more precise sound, I feel there is better definition to the sound like a picture that is more in focus on the Cobalt and a picture that is slightly off but still sharp on the Red, if that makes sense.

I have a weird issue though. When I first plug in the Cobalt to my phone through the dragonfly USB adapter the volume is so low, I have to turn it all the way up to hear anything. I reboot the phone and everything is back to normal. At first I thought it might be an issue with Android but the DFR doesn't do this. Even after a reboot if I unplug the Cobalt and plug it back in this happens. Very frustrating and annoying. Anybody with a similar issue?

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #402 of 1,192
How did you do the direct A/B comparison? Did you account for the fact that DFC is playing louder than DFR at the same volume setting, so that everything would sound clearer with a better soundstage if you do not compensate for the difference in volume, because it's how our brains perceive the higher volume?
I have both and there is no difference in the volume whatsoever which leads me to think even more that the one tested was a dud. Furthermore even when lowering the volume on the DFC by one “notch” and listening carefully the improvements are still there to be heard

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #403 of 1,192
Hi

Like I said earlier, I'm no audiophile. Listening to Tidal on my phone (op7 pro) there is an audible hiss on some songs and in the very quiet parts in the music you can here some hiss. It's not much and nothing that bothers me. Listening toTidal on the PC it's much cleaner and the hiss is even lower, you can barely hear it. I was very impressed with the sound when streaming mqa. The sound was full with nice separation and crisp highs. No eq whatsoever.

The Cobalt seems to put out a more precise sound, I feel there is better definition to the sound like a picture that is more in focus on the Cobalt and a picture that is slightly off but still sharp on the Red, if that makes sense.

I have a weird issue though. When I first plug in the Cobalt to my phone through the dragonfly USB adapter the volume is so low, I have to turn it all the way up to hear anything. I reboot the phone and everything is back to normal. At first I thought it might be an issue with Android but the DFR doesn't do this. Even after a reboot if I unplug the Cobalt and plug it back in this happens. Very frustrating and annoying. Anybody with a similar issue?
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I’m using an iPhone so I don’t get the issue you describe, I wish I could help.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #404 of 1,192
Was working perfectly, I had it from 2016 March
But why did u ditch it then? To be honest I would have just kept it rather than “downgrade” unless it was to increase portability in which case your best bet is the dragonfly as there is little difference between the mojo and the ifi in terms of form factor

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #405 of 1,192
I have both and there is no difference in the volume whatsoever which leads me to think even more that the one tested was a dud. Furthermore even when lowering the volume on the DFC by one “notch” and listening carefully the improvements are still there to be heard

My Cobalt behaves the same, no volume differences from the Red at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back