Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Aug 10, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #347 of 1,192
I don't think you are being fair here, sorry, not trying to be mean, but you really laid into a member who while you may not have agreed with his input, or felt it would have been helpful to you, from what I read he was genuinely trying to be helpful.
Agreed, on reflection. Post edited.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #348 of 1,192
Agreed, on reflection. Post edited.
Cool of you. I do this as well and more often than I care to admit have to go back and correct my posts. We all go over the top at times without meaning to do so, but I personally think it takes a healthy personality to publicly admit it so kudos mate.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #349 of 1,192
I wonder, how all that comparisons DFC vs. DFR have been performed. As Archimago‘s measurements show, DFC is a little bit louder than DFR at the same volume setting. This is already enough to be perceived as being better...

Apart from that, it is clear that the filter change is making a big difference between DFC and DFR. It would be a fair comparison to compare DFC to DFR volume matched, and with MQA, which uses own filters, that are the same on DFR and DFC. This would show the real difference if there is any...

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #350 of 1,192
I wonder, how all that comparisons DFC vs. DFR have been performed. As Archimago‘s measurements show, DFC is a little bit louder than DFR at the same volume setting. This is already enough to be perceived as being better...

Apart from that, it is clear that the filter change is making a big difference between DFC and DFR. It would be a fair comparison to compare DFC to DFR volume matched, and with MQA, which uses own filters, that are the same on DFR and DFC. This would show the real difference if there is any...

There is a real difference. Many in here have stated that, including me. You can choose to believe whatever you want.

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #351 of 1,192
Well, that‘s the thing, I‘m absolutely sure there is a difference, the technical difference in the filter alone is relatively huge. The question is - is there a difference beyond the filter? And MQA can help to answer this question.

Aug 10, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #352 of 1,192
Well, that‘s the thing, I‘m absolutely sure there is a difference, the technical difference in the filter alone is relatively huge. The question is - is there a difference beyond the filter? And MQA can help to answer this question.

Dac differences are subtle you should be aware of that when going in to make a purchase, some members will have you believe it transformed a headphone where I'm more in the camp where it can help your headphone get that last few % in refinement, especially the treble.

Aug 10, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #353 of 1,192
@schsst Archimago's measurements, if I have understood correctly, highlighted a potential flaw that means the DFC might just be driven to clip (and therefore distort) if you listen to very heavily dynamically compressed music at 100% output. If you are concerned about this then setting output to 98% would appear to be sensible for peace of mind.
For the use case that you clearly stated, DAC / Amp for mobile use combined with DAC / Pre-amp at home, then the Dragonflies would be a good choice for an all-in-one solution, in my opinion, based on the many positive reviews of the whole range especially if, like me, you value a small form factor and no battery for mobile use.
In most real-world listening scenarios, most reviews, whether from professional reviewers, who may or may not be critically biased depending on your worldview, or impressions from experienced hobbyists on here, suggest that the DFC represents a step up in performance over the DFR and the DFB. In most reviews that I have read so far (I haven't heard any of the Dragonflies so can't give an opinion, although I am interested in hearing the DFC), where the reviewer has compared across the range, the DFC tends to be preferred. Whether that apparent improvement is worth the additional cost of the DFC over the others is a matter only for you and your wallet.
I would not, and personally will not, be put off by the measurements but understand that for some people measured performance is everything. Try and listen to one in use as a home hifi DAC / Pre-amp and make up your own mind how it sounds. If you are U.S.-based then Todd the Vinyl Junky (TTVJ) is running a loaner programme, with a thread on here that may be of interest.

1) I never mentioned Archimago's measurements, although they are mildly disturbing.

2) A well-designed DAC incorporating a well-designed line output stage will trounce any device that uses a headphone amp to drive the inputs of a preamp or speaker amp.

3) In real-world scenarios, the sonic advantages of the Cobalt over the Black or Red will be lost when used out and about in a bus, car, plane, or just walking. Utter waste of money - not to mention carrying a $300 device around with you brings it's own risks.

4) The OP has stated that his main system is his phone through the DAC while on the couch. In that case, the Schiit Modi 3 for the home system and the Dragonfly Red for the phone is a better solution at the same price as the Cobalt. I own the Red - it's a good DAC, just not as good as a non-portable one. As stated elsewhere in this forum, DAC differences are subtle and I take with a grain of salt the "night-and-day" and "Life-Changing" reviews. If I drop $300 on a poorly implemented device that wiggles I'd try to be overwhelmed by upgrade, also.

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #358 of 1,192
Me too. I don’t get all the hate, especially from those that haven’t even tried it yet.
It's gotta be the price unfortunately. People can return it if they don't like it, but the price for some people blows their socks off. Thousand dollar headphones do the same thing for me. :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #359 of 1,192
It's gotta be the price unfortunately. People can return it if they don't like it, but the price for some people blows their socks off. Thousand dollar headphones do the same thing for me. :)

In the realm of audiophilia, it’s not expensive at all. The Mojo still costs more, the Hugo 2 is $2600, the Woo wa11 is $1400, the Dacportable is $350 and can’t render MQA, etc.

But at the end of the day, if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. I can’t afford the Susvara but I still say it sounds awesome. I can’t even afford an amp powerful enough to drive the Susvara.

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #360 of 1,192
Today I received my DragonFly Cobalt and I am a little bit disappointed.

The sound of DFC is for me too energetic and bright up top. I do not recommend DFC to people who are sensitive to energetic and bright sound.

Chord Mojo in comparison is of course bigger and pricier but its more relaxed sounding and I prefer it to DFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back