Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #871 of 1,192
I'm not sure if my Dragonfly Cobalt is defective, but it seems to cause a ground loop with my iems. When I move my head around the humming noise sometimes gets quieter. This doesn't happen with my Dragonfly Red. Any of you guys experience this issue?

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #872 of 1,192
Hey guys,

Has anyone had a chance to test this against a dedicated DAP? Im running music from AK SR25, any direct comparisons here??

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #873 of 1,192
Hi!

I have tried comparing the Cobalt with the AK SR25. The Cobalt is much better sounding though you get a full one stop solution with the SR25.

Comparing with AK SE200 with the latest multiple DAC -1x AK4499EQ + 2x ES9068AS

On the AK4499EQ output, the SE200 surpasses the SQ but quite a far margin. Didn’t try it with the ES output though but signature might be similar.

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #874 of 1,192
Hi!

I have tried comparing the Cobalt with the AK SR25. The Cobalt is much better sounding though you get a full one stop solution with the SR25.

Comparing with AK SE200 with the latest multiple DAC -1x AK4499EQ + 2x ES9068AS

On the AK4499EQ output, the SE200 surpasses the SQ but quite a far margin. Didn’t try it with the ES output though but signature might be similar.
Hey thanks for the feedback.

Can you expand a little more on how the cobalt is better sounding please, and what do you mean sr25 is a one stop solutions?

Thanks again :)

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #875 of 1,192
Hi there

The SR25 can be referenced here:
https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG232020&spos=2&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC36040

The SR25 is a DAP - Digital Audio Player, hence why I mentioned it’s a “one stop solution” all in one. Unlike the Cobalt which is simply an external DAC, where your phone or Mac or computer is the player.

When I did the AB test, I realized that the Cobalt was much natural, with better staging and separation and detailed as compared to the SR25. It isn’t as “in your face”, forward as compared the SR25, which I felt was decent, but I preferred the overall SQ produced by the Cobalt as a whole.

The SR25 sounded a bit more musical as compared to the Cobalt, a bit tighter and condensed.

The SE200 with the AKM output was on a different league as it’s the same DAC used on the AK flagship SP2000. It was highly resolving, gave 3D imaging of the sound, exceptionally good layer separation and superb low noise. The SE200 is technically like a mini Sp2000 at 50% of the price.

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #877 of 1,192
Hi there

The SR25 can be referenced here:
https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG232020&spos=2&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC36040

The SR25 is a DAP - Digital Audio Player, hence why I mentioned it’s a “one stop solution” all in one. Unlike the Cobalt which is simply an external DAC, where your phone or Mac or computer is the player.

When I did the AB test, I realized that the Cobalt was much natural, with better staging and separation and detailed as compared to the SR25. It isn’t as “in your face”, forward as compared the SR25, which I felt was decent, but I preferred the overall SQ produced by the Cobalt as a whole.

The SR25 sounded a bit more musical as compared to the Cobalt, a bit tighter and condensed.

The SE200 with the AKM output was on a different league as it’s the same DAC used on the AK flagship SP2000. It was highly resolving, gave 3D imaging of the sound, exceptionally good layer separation and superb low noise. The SE200 is technically like a mini Sp2000 at 50% of the price.
Amazing thanks you - this really helped.

Is the SE200 new?

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #878 of 1,192
Amazing thanks you - this really helped.

Is the SE200 new?

Yes, the AK SE200 is the first ever DAP to feature 2 different types of DAC in a single player - AKM and ESS Sabre.

If you are into DAPs, it’s highly recommended you give it a try. It’s good. I tried it in comparing it with the Sp2000 flagship and found it to be very close. For the price to quality ratio, it’s a steal.

You can reference it here:
https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG231960&spos=1&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC36100

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #879 of 1,192
Hi everyone, I have the cobalt and use it with my 64audio U12t and Nio. Every time I raise the volume past 75% on my iPhone, the Cobalt crashes. Any ideas? I read that it could be an impedance issue with these IEMs, but I have seen many people use the 64audio line with Cobalt online.

Btw, tried different phones, adapters, and cobalts. Same behavior.

Appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #880 of 1,192
Hi everyone, I have the cobalt and use it with my 64audio U12t and Nio. Every time I raise the volume past 75% on my iPhone, the Cobalt crashes. Any ideas? I read that it could be an impedance issue with these IEMs, but I have seen many people use the 64audio line with Cobalt online.

Btw, tried different phones, adapters, and cobalts. Same behavior.

Appreciate any advice. Thank you!
What do you mean by ‚crashes‘ ?

Sep 13, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #882 of 1,192
Does anyone know if the new Earmen Sparrow is better thab ifi Hip Dac? I can't find comparison about. Thanks

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #883 of 1,192
Hey thanks for the feedback.

Can you expand a little more on how the cobalt is better sounding please, and what do you mean sr25 is a one stop solutions?

Thanks again :)
Hey guys,

Has anyone had a chance to test this against a dedicated DAP? Im running music from AK SR25, any direct comparisons here??
Hi,
My two cents...
Did some AB testing with Agnes Obel "The Curse". With the 3.5mm on the SR25 the Cobalt sound "more open and airy". With the 2.5mm the SR25 takes a lot more texture and punch. For me to be able to use a 2.5mm balanced with the SR25 is the main advantage over the Cobalt. Apart from this the Cobalt is a wonderful small and convenient device. I'm still using it on the go as i don't want to have another device with me (even a small one like the SR25). Home i use the SR25 balanced to immerge in the music with no distraction from my phone.

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #884 of 1,192
What do you mean by ‚crashes‘ ?
Sorry, missed your reply. It crashes by blinking and music cuts out. I found out that if I plug in power into the CCK 3 adapter, then it works better. iPhone 11 Pro Max, CCK 3 adapter, and tried many cobalts and many phones and adapters. Same identical behavior on all variations. Many forum posts on headphones.com too. No resolution though and Audioquest won't own it....

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #885 of 1,192
Sorry, missed your reply. It crashes by blinking and music cuts out. I found out that if I plug in power into the CCK 3 adapter, then it works better. iPhone 11 Pro Max, CCK 3 adapter, and tried many cobalts and many phones and adapters. Same identical behavior on all variations. Many forum posts on headphones.com too. No resolution though and Audioquest won't own it....

Ok, in this case it would be a power consumption issue, probably nothing can be done to mitigate it so you‘d have to use an external power supply with CCK3.
Did not experience the issue myself, but I neither use CCK3, since I have an iPhone 7 as a dedicated DAP nor do I ever go past 75% on volume...
Cobalt is anyway a joke in terms of power consumption. The manufacturer was advertising better and more power effecient components, while in real life it‘s consuming between 50% and 100% more power than a DFR and is getting very warm to a touch after running for half an hour.
I have both a DFR and a DFC, and my power consumption figures are based upon daily usage, not some theoretical specs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back