Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jul 21, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #856 of 1,192
As soon as plugged the dragonfly the sound source has changed to dragonfly cobalt 1.0. When I opened Tidal it actually changed the volume to very low, thankfully. Actually I find the volume to be very loud. I wish I could control the volume with finer level. I have the windows 10 professional installed in my surface pro 7 with all the latest updates. The DFC was literally plug and play. Though my experiences are limited to IEMs like Andromeda, FH7 etc.

Thx for the info. Mine got the "plug and play" part right, it just doesn't put out much sound. I'm suspicious that I got a defective unit.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #857 of 1,192
As soon as plugged the dragonfly the sound source has changed to dragonfly cobalt 1.0. When I opened Tidal it actually changed the volume to very low, thankfully. Actually I find the volume to be very loud. I wish I could control the volume with finer level. I have the windows 10 professional installed in my surface pro 7 with all the latest updates. The DFC was literally plug and play. Though my experiences are limited to IEMs like Andromeda, FH7 etc.

I also just use mine with IEMs (mostly the SE846) and also find it very loud with IEMs (android, surface pro 4 and Windows 10 desktop). On my desktop PC, I usually use Qobuz (exclusive mode) or Roon and have to set the volume at 1 or 2 out of 100. Think it just depends on what you are using with the Cobalt.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #858 of 1,192
Yes you are not wrong. The DFC is best for IEMs. Though it can power some cans, more amping power given to those can really set them singing.

DFC is about best portability with highest SQ in the smallest package IMO. It isn’t the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

IMHO Mojo still rules for the best in SQ in terms of true portable DACs.

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #860 of 1,192
I think it can drive up to 300 ohms but anything more, you will need better amps. I do not have any of such within my gear list but I read that the tops it can do is within the 300 mark and you would have to turn up the volume pretty high to get sometime decent.

Dragonfly is best for IEMs and lower impedance cans IMHO.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #861 of 1,192
I think it can drive up to 300 ohms but anything more, you will need better amps. I do not have any of such within my gear list but I read that the tops it can do is within the 300 mark and you would have to turn up the volume pretty high to get sometime decent.

Dragonfly is best for IEMs and lower impedance cans IMHO.
Sorry I completely disagree. On Windows 10, I can drive my 300 ohm Hd600 very loudly at 30/ 100.

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #865 of 1,192
How do people view these as a direct upgrade to the original Dragonfly? I've been using the original as part of my setup at work (with Shure SE846) and have been quite happy with how simply but effective the setup is. Being able to use the Dragonfly with my Pixel would be a plus but would there be a substantial difference if I upgraded the original dragonfly to the cobalt for my work setup?

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #866 of 1,192
From what I know, if you are already a dragonfly user, it really depends if you want the upgrade to the Cobalt. The main differences are that the Cobalt doesn’t require the jitter bug and it does have a better DAC chip. Power draw is lesser but I only have the Cobalt and I have never tried the older versions. Probably for those who have the black may want to upgrade but if you have the Red, I read that people usually just stick with it. You probably need good gear and good ears to spot the difference since both are ESS DACs and the SQ are usually pretty forward leaning.

Prior to the Cobalt, I was thorn between the Mojo and the Cobalt. I chose the Cobalt in view of ultra portability despite the Mojo having SQ I could never forget. I still don’t regret my decision till today as the Cobalt does have a special place. No batteries, slips inside my bag easily, I can use it in so many ways and all that with good SQ.

However my next would be something more significant and different which will not replace the Cobalt but complement another aspect of my setup.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #867 of 1,192
From what I know, if you are already a dragonfly user, it really depends if you want the upgrade to the Cobalt. Probably for those who have the black may want to upgrade but if you have the Red, I read that people usually just stick with it. You probably need good gear and good ears to spot the difference since both are ESS DACs and the SQ are usually pretty forward leaning.
Cobalt is much more relaxed and natural, also less forward sounding than Red. Depends on your taste which is preferable.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #868 of 1,192
From what I know, if you are already a dragonfly user, it really depends if you want the upgrade to the Cobalt. The main differences are that the Cobalt doesn’t require the jitter bug and it does have a better DAC chip. Power draw is lesser but I only have the Cobalt and I have never tried the older versions. Probably for those who have the black may want to upgrade but if you have the Red, I read that people usually just stick with it. You probably need good gear and good ears to spot the difference since both are ESS DACs and the SQ are usually pretty forward leaning.

Prior to the Cobalt, I was thorn between the Mojo and the Cobalt. I chose the Cobalt in view of ultra portability despite the Mojo having SQ I could never forget. I still don’t regret my decision till today as the Cobalt does have a special place. No batteries, slips inside my bag easily, I can use it in so many ways and all that with good SQ.

However my next would be something more significant and different which will not replace the Cobalt but complement another aspect of my setup.
I completely agree that the Dragonfly has a convenience that puts it on another level. I've been using small DACs but it's difficult to beat the USB form factor and being able to pocket a DAC and easily plug and play with different devices. I use two different laptops at work and it's an absolute dream.

Thanks for sharing your views on the SQ of the Cobalt vs. the Black. I've had the Black for a while now so it might be time for an upgrade!

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #869 of 1,192
How do people view these as a direct upgrade to the original Dragonfly? I've been using the original as part of my setup at work (with Shure SE846) and have been quite happy with how simply but effective the setup is. Being able to use the Dragonfly with my Pixel would be a plus but would there be a substantial difference if I upgraded the original dragonfly to the cobalt for my work setup?
Overall I agree with the description that the cobalt sounds a tiny bit more laid back, but also "cleaner" with it (personal taste) and I think its worth the extra $100 if you can choose. Try listening to it before you buy but if you're in a situation where you have to buy another one I would go for the cobalt.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #870 of 1,192
I'm only using the BTR5 over LDAC BT, not as wired DAC.

LDAC BT is obviously not bit-perfect for the audiophile purists but if just going on what you hear and you like ESS DAC signature you should like the BTR5.

So much better than the BTR3 I had and I also think SQ better than the EarStudio I had too.

Might be placebo/mind games but DFC at its best with Tidal MQA tracks.
You can get close to bit perfect wired by using USB Audio Player Pro in BT mode. It also clears the sound when wired. It does send a Bit Perfect signal through BT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back