Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jul 9, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #842 of 1,192
Just ordered DFC for galaxy S10. It will be delivered next week.

As a preparation I have purchased and installed USB Audio Player Pro. Just to check I have connected my FIIO BTR3K in USB dac mode with in Galaxy S10, it detected BTR3K.

But strangely I am only able to listen to Tidal MQA files with BTR3K dac mode, none of my google music or any mp3/AAC files are audible. They are being played but no sound is coming from my headphone. Only MQA files are audible.

By the way, when BTR3K is connected without USB audio pro, it plays all files without any issue.

Will it be a problem for DFC also? Why in the DAC mode the mp3 files are not audible with UAPP?

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #844 of 1,192
Cobalt = Red - Noise + around 1.5 times higher power consumption
I have and use both
Thanks for the info, will keep this in mind when using Red with andro.

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #846 of 1,192
Can anyone give a quick rundown on the main competitors to the Audioquest/Dragonfly products?

Notable ones:
1. Chord mojo
2. ifi xDSD
3. ifi Hip DAC
4. EarStudio ES100
5. Fiio Q1 Mark 2
6. Fiio BTR5
7. Fiio E12A
8. Fiio Q5s
9. Ifi nana iDSD BL

I am aware those with BT capabilities might be different due to features, but these are some of the notable portal ones I am aware of. There are quite a number more in the market but it usually just boils down to a few key ones and the choice is really based on personal preference.

For example, Chord Mojo May sound a little bit better than the Dragonfly Cobalt but the convenience of the DFC is far superior. Mojo is a bit dated too though it still an excellent product.

Fiio BTR5 is super small, packs a punch, may not be as good as the xDSD but again, convenience and how close it is to the xDSD makes it a great value purchase. That’s why the Fiio BTR5 is selling like hot cakes.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #847 of 1,192
Notable ones:
1. Chord mojo
2. ifi xDSD
3. ifi Hip DAC
4. EarStudio ES100
5. Fiio Q1 Mark 2
6. Fiio BTR5
7. Fiio E12A
8. Fiio Q5s
9. Ifi nana iDSD BL

I am aware those with BT capabilities might be different due to features, but these are some of the notable portal ones I am aware of. There are quite a number more in the market but it usually just boils down to a few key ones and the choice is really based on personal preference.

For example, Chord Mojo May sound a little bit better than the Dragonfly Cobalt but the convenience of the DFC is far superior. Mojo is a bit dated too though it still an excellent product.

Fiio BTR5 is super small, packs a punch, may not be as good as the xDSD but again, convenience and how close it is to the xDSD makes it a great value purchase. That’s why the Fiio BTR5 is selling like hot cakes.
Since you mention the ES100 and BTR5, I would add the Qudelix 5k to the list. Preorders just started shipping a few weeks ago (June 16, 2020) but I really like my 5K much better than the ES100. Still a lot of bugs to work out but a great first product from a new company started by the guy who, i think, designed the ES100.

In my opinion, the bluetooth receivers are really no match for the DFC in terms of SQ and the Cobalt sounds much more dynamic and has much better soundstage and separation than either the ES100 or the 5K. As mentioned above, they have different feature sets and use cases.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #848 of 1,192
Since you mention the ES100 and BTR5, I would add the Qudelix 5k to the list. Preorders just started shipping a few weeks ago (June 16, 2020) but I really like my 5K much better than the ES100. Still a lot of bugs to work out but a great first product from a new company started by the guy who, i think, designed the ES100.

In my opinion, the bluetooth receivers are really no match for the DFC in terms of SQ and the Cobalt sounds much more dynamic and has much better soundstage and separation than either the ES100 or the 5K. As mentioned above, they have different feature sets and use cases.

Yes, agreed on using the BT function which wouldn’t match the DFC. I have tried using the BTR5 in wired mode and it’s really good. Since I have the DFC, while I can tell the difference, it’s really not far off when it’s compared Apple to Apple, on wired connection. However since I do not have a balanced cable with 2.5mm jack, I can’t text the balanced output on my BTR5 which I read it’s a lot better than the single ended 3.5mm output.

The DFC wins in details retrieval, greater resolution while the BTR5 is a bit warmer. So for those who feel that the DFC is a lot more expensive as compared to the BTR5 and would like a lower cost option with Bluetooth, the BTR5 is my highly recommended option. Fantastic value for money. Fiio does create some incredible products.

Gear used for this is the JH13V2 Pro.

Jul 14, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #849 of 1,192
Received the DFC yesterday, and using it with Samsung Galaxy S10 exynos version mainly.
It is working surprisingly well! I already had the UAPP installed. As soon as I connect the DFC with the supplied dragon tail adapter the UAPP pops up, detects the DFC. I have also purchased the bit perfect MQA in app module. So the MQA files of Tidal plays via UAPP, with the purple light indicator, and with my Andromeda it sounds amazing, there is absolutely no noise.
To use other apps like spotify, youtube, amazon prime music I just have to click "no" to the pop up by UAPP. Everything is probably up scaled to 48 kHz (blue color), but no popping and clicking sound (as reported in Samsung forums), and sounds surprisingly well!
It is working with my Microsoft Surface Pro, Dell desktop with excellent sound quality. It is very loud and powerful, I have to use it with very low volume with Andromeda. The sound-stage, clarity is very good.

I also am not having any rattling or quality issue. My unit seems to be built quite well. The leather case also quite good; I have realized if I press the side of the case to make it open and flip, it comes out quite easily.

I also have the BTR3K from FIIO, in terms of sound quality in wired or wireless mode, DFC is way ahead, there is no competition. But for Bluetooth functionality and convenience it is an excellent device.

Overall DFC is an excellent investment, I would highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #850 of 1,192
Here by the way a quite outstanding combination, I am surprised myself how good it is!

iPad Pro with Qobuz, Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt and the LCDi3. Had tried it with the iSine. That was nothing. The iSine20s are simply terribly tuned. Nothing fits and without EQ or cipher with DSP it sounds awful. For the i4, the Cobalt doesn't have enough power, so they don't really flourish. So let's try the i3 and see, it fits!

Beautiful sound, excellent bass, extremely clean, absolutely not exaggerated, excellent. Absolutely clear in the middle, slightly emphasized and with a very nice transition from the bass range. It doesn't interfere with that. The trebles a dream. Extremely clean, clear but not poisonous or sibiliant at all. Add to that the openness of the i3, spacious, wide stage. Yes, everything excellent!

The ciphers are even slightly more bass and trebles are a bit reduced. But this solution is definitely massively better than the BT cable. This is definitely a throw-away, sorry Audeze. But this is far below the dignity of the i3. Therefore I prefer this solution. Since I don't have an adapter USB-C to the cipher yet and these are available in Switzerland, the Cobalt is an extremely successful solution, even better than Cipher. I can absolutely recommend it to everybody!

IMG_0196.jpeg

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #851 of 1,192
Does this have enough power to drive full size planar headphone like the Dan Clark Aeon Flow 2 for example?

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #852 of 1,192
No, the power is too small for an AEON. You can hear, it gets quite loud too, but it lacks dynamics and bass. Especially the AEON needs massive power to give its best. Especially for a nice bass it needs many many watts!

For me it sounds best with the iCan, which is bursting with power! Cobalt is good for the i3, it hardly needs any power, the Clear is still good, the Nighthawk is very good. But AEON and ZMF can be forgotten. He has clearly too little power.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #853 of 1,192
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #854 of 1,192
Received the DFC yesterday, and using it with Samsung Galaxy S10 exynos version mainly.
It is working surprisingly well! I already had the UAPP installed. As soon as I connect the DFC with the supplied dragon tail adapter the UAPP pops up, detects the DFC. I have also purchased the bit perfect MQA in app module. So the MQA files of Tidal plays via UAPP, with the purple light indicator, and with my Andromeda it sounds amazing, there is absolutely no noise.
To use other apps like spotify, youtube, amazon prime music I just have to click "no" to the pop up by UAPP. Everything is probably up scaled to 48 kHz (blue color), but no popping and clicking sound (as reported in Samsung forums), and sounds surprisingly well!
It is working with my Microsoft Surface Pro, Dell desktop with excellent sound quality. It is very loud and powerful, I have to use it with very low volume with Andromeda. The sound-stage, clarity is very good.

I also am not having any rattling or quality issue. My unit seems to be built quite well. The leather case also quite good; I have realized if I press the side of the case to make it open and flip, it comes out quite easily.

I also have the BTR3K from FIIO, in terms of sound quality in wired or wireless mode, DFC is way ahead, there is no competition. But for Bluetooth functionality and convenience it is an excellent device.

Overall DFC is an excellent investment, I would highly recommend it.

Did you need to update any sound settings in Windows for the Surface or the Dell ? I've tried mine on three different Windows machines and I cant get decent volume out of it any which way I try.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #855 of 1,192
Did you need to update any sound settings in Windows for the Surface or the Dell ? I've tried mine on three different Windows machines and I cant get decent volume out of it any which way I try.
As soon as plugged the dragonfly the sound source has changed to dragonfly cobalt 1.0. When I opened Tidal it actually changed the volume to very low, thankfully. Actually I find the volume to be very loud. I wish I could control the volume with finer level. I have the windows 10 professional installed in my surface pro 7 with all the latest updates. The DFC was literally plug and play. Though my experiences are limited to IEMs like Andromeda, FH7 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back