Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jul 17, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #65 of 1,192
Doesn't work with either iOS or Android though, does it?

If I'm not mistaken, the Sabaj DA3 consumes 5 times the power of the DFB, and one of the benefits of the DFC is it's lower power consumption. Even if it works with iOS or Android, it might not be a good portable solution.

I think the DA3 does work with some Android phones, and I haven't yet found information on it's compatibility with iOS, but a lot of my search results are in a foreign language right now.

I'm not saying that the DA3 isn't an excellent DAC (without regard to price), but it's got a different use case than the Dragonfly Black, Red, or Cobalt. The DA3 looks like a better laptop/PC companion than a smartphone DAC.

I'm more interested in the Cobalt for the power savings and portability, which are very much more in Dragonfly's favor.

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #72 of 1,192
If I'm not mistaken, the Sabaj DA3 consumes 5 times the power of the DFB, and one of the benefits of the DFC is it's lower power consumption. Even if it works with iOS or Android, it might not be a good portable solution.

I think the DA3 does work with some Android phones, and I haven't yet found information on it's compatibility with iOS, but a lot of my search results are in a foreign language right now.

I'm not saying that the DA3 isn't an excellent DAC (without regard to price), but it's got a different use case than the Dragonfly Black, Red, or Cobalt. The DA3 looks like a better laptop/PC companion than a smartphone DAC.

I'm more interested in the Cobalt for the power savings and portability, which are very much more in Dragonfly's favor.

This ^^^

All too often I see people comparing products where the use-case scenarios are quite different.

I've had the 1.2 for a long time and love the form factor, but certainly if I can have better sound with lower power draw from my mobile devices in the same kind of form factor I'm interested.

Regards the form factor, I see some people lamenting the full-sized USB - I absolutely prefer connecting the Dragonfly to my phone via a cable, rather than direct. I worry a lot less about traumatising the connector on both sides that way and find it more manageable for pocket carry that way. My laptop and PC still have full-sized USB-A ports, rather than USB-C and I prefer connecting direct to those devices. So for me, in my use, it is ideal already. For someone with USB-C connectors on their laptop I can see how a direct connection would be preferable - I do think it would be nice if there was the option to buy the Dragonfly with a USB-C connector for that use-case for those where this is applicable.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #73 of 1,192
This ^^^

All too often I see people comparing products where the use-case scenarios are quite different.

I've had the 1.2 for a long time and love the form factor, but certainly if I can have better sound with lower power draw from my mobile devices in the same kind of form factor I'm interested.

Regards the form factor, I see some people lamenting the full-sized USB - I absolutely prefer connecting the Dragonfly to my phone via a cable, rather than direct. I worry a lot less about traumatising the connector on both sides that way and find it more manageable for pocket carry that way. My laptop and PC still have full-sized USB-A ports, rather than USB-C and I prefer connecting direct to those devices. So for me, in my use, it is ideal already. For someone with USB-C connectors on their laptop I can see how a direct connection would be preferable - I do think it would be nice if there was the option to buy the Dragonfly with a USB-C connector for that use-case for those where this is applicable.

I don’t see what the big deal is. It comes with a dragon tail for USB C.

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #74 of 1,192
I don’t see what the big deal is. It comes with a dragon tail for USB C.

Sure, it's fine, but different strokes etc. I definitely prefer being able to connect direct to my non-phone sources, so I can see why those with USB-C ports would want that. Given USB-C uptake is finally starting to become ubiquitous I think it reasonable for some people to want this, would like to see the option available. While the option isn't there people who feel strongly about this will simply put their hard-earned elsewhere, totally fair enough. Options aren't bad to have right?

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #75 of 1,192
Sure, it's fine, but different strokes etc. I definitely prefer being able to connect direct to my non-phone sources, so I can see why those with USB-C ports would want that. Given USB-C uptake is finally starting to become ubiquitous I think it reasonable for some people to want this, would like to see the option available. While the option isn't there people who feel strongly about this will simply put their hard-earned elsewhere, totally fair enough. Options aren't bad to have right?

Options are great! But I guess since I use my iPhone for portable listening, I’ve never been able to connect directly, either with the Cobalt or Red. So I guess I can’t miss what I’ve never had.

I was just pointing out that it’s nice that they include a dragon tail for Android users so you don’t have to go out and purchase another accessory in order to use the Cobalt. But even with USB A, iPhone users still have to purchase the camera connection kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back