Dr. Studio vs Solo Hd?
Nov 26, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #61 of 73
I got both from Best Buy and returned the Solo HD's. My rig: Macbook pro>Rolls HA43>Studios and Solo hd's

My Playlist:

Not Afraid- Eminem (Solos B Studios B+)

Hypnotize- Notorius B.I.G (Solos A Studios B+)

Kashmir- Led Zeppelin (Solos B Studios A)

Wonderful World- Louie Armstrong (Solos C+ Studios B)

Heigh Ho- Charlie Barnet (Solos B Studios B+) 

Purple Haze- Jimi Hendrix- (Solos A Studios A+)

Matchbox Blues- Leadbelly (Solos B Studios B)

Lake of Fire- Nirvana (Solos C+ Studios B-)

I am not a audiophile by any means, so I can't tell you about the lows and highs. But I can tell you what my ears heard. This is a simple rating system based on how I thought each song sounded. The Studios seemed to have a little extra detail. Also the reason I am guessing hypnotize sounded better was the extra bass on the Hd's. Hopefully this will help someone who is in my spot in the future.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #62 of 73
Alright, let's assume that I am a newbie aspiring audiophile, had up to somewhere around $600-$800 to blow on headphones and amp, have a pair of Sony MDR-V600's, which, while extremely comfortable and very non-ear fatiguing, and actually produce some soundscape, are thin and leave me lacking that warm, rich, simply amazing, resonant, clear bass that I just heard at Best Buy on the Solo HD's while maintaining relative clarity of mids and highs (consider my limited reference points here and be kind if you can), which I compared to some Sony MDR-XR500's (which I found somewhat dull and muddy sounding), though the bass was better by far than the MDR-V600's. I also just went to the Apple store and tried some V-Moda Crossfades, Klipsch Image One's, and Skullcandy somethings (can't remember now, cost about $150), all of which did nothing for me at all. I also tried the Monster Beats Studios and in comparison to the Solo HD's found them somewhat more flat and clinical sounding and heavy but still comfortable and better than the MDR-V600s by a long shot, though not my cup of tea.

However, I kept going back to the Solo HDs and at the end of the day, as to this woefully ignorant ear they sounded and felt really, really good, and their clear, potent, undistorted bass just did it for me completely, and so I thought I would buy some, but then read this thread and decided to learn what other options the opponents of these headphones would consider superior. Assume I have no possible way to get to a place where I could actually try something for myself and had to rely on your opinion for this multi-hundred dollar purchase, as no store around here carries the sort of high-end stuff that hopefully someone will recommend. I read on another thread that someone thought the Sony MDR-XR700's were superior to the XR-500's and the Beats, but I suspect that at this price range other cool options become available.

Let's say that I wish to avoid perpetual ignorance and avoid foolish purchases, and wish to draw on the experience, wisdom and elite ears of this group so as to better myself. I saw no specific recommendations on this thread, but merely hints of that there was good stuff to consider beyond these.

What headphones or earphones would you substitute for those who want a deep, rich, bass-heavy option like the Solo HD's who listen to multi-layer electronica/ambient/trance/dance with mostly female vocals (think Caroline Lavelle as reference point), source mostly Pandora and from iTunes (many AAC, some high-res MP3's, some AIFF, etc.) on iPhone 3GS but don't want to sacrifice mids and highs? I realize that the source is going to throw some people here, but do the best you can and assume that soon enough I will get something much, much better on the source end, as money is not as much of an issue as good sound at this point in my life (finally!).

Big soundscape is very important to me, as is something that can't be heard externally by a nearby sleeping person. Low ear fatigue and comfort are also important: consider 1-2 hour listening sessions somewhat regularly. I guess I should post questions about what amp to drive them on another forum, but that is an important question, if one would be inclined to answer it in relation to recommend headphones, as I realize that an iphone can't drive many headphones all that well. Also, if you to take on the amp question, two outputs with independent volume controls would be a plus if possible, realizing that will probably cost in price and/or performance. Portability is not an issue.

In summary, assume this person wants to learn, despite liking the Solo HD's a lot is not a troll, wishes to have their ear and horizons expanded, and will take your advice seriously: what have you got? I am grateful for whatever advice you can provide. I have spent a lot of time looking through this site a well as www.headphone.com, and don't find anything that quite answers this specific question.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #63 of 73
About 5 hours of searching later, I may have answered my own question: TMA-1s, which apparently don't need any separate amp to drive them due to their low impedance. M-50's obvious competitor, but recent reviews here seem to favor TMA-1s for what I primarily listen to.

If people have other ideas, I am all ears, as it were.

If not, then all is well.

Thanks,

Daniel

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #64 of 73
I think it's strange that people think the OP is a troll since EVERYONE and their cousin wants something with beats branding...

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #65 of 73

Quote:
I think it's strange that people think the OP is a troll since EVERYONE and their cousin wants something with beats branding...

No, people just find it annoying when people come here asking for recommendations and when we give better alternatives they dismiss them because of something frivolous like looks. All circumaural headphones look dorky when worn. Whomever told you otherwise is delusional.

And people only want them because that's what the media wants them to get.

Quote:
About 5 hours of searching later, I may have answered my own question: TMA-1s, which apparently don't need any separate amp to drive them due to their low impedance. M-50's obvious competitor, but recent reviews here seem to favor TMA-1s for what I primarily listen to.

If people have other ideas, I am all ears, as it were.

If not, then all is well.

Thanks,

Daniel

Fanny Wang? They're basically meant to have a unibody headband and spank the Solos in sound quality, and I have to agree. I'm the only one that's heard them here so far though...I think.

But I have to ask...where the heck is your BB? My BB has Solos that sound pretty...mediocre for the price. The bass is far from resonant and clear. It's rather muddled and bloated in respect to the recessed mids and sibilant treble.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #66 of 73
I actually could care less about branding or looks, they could be called Hillbilly-UltraDelux-Blasteromatics-For-dumb-Idiots, come in a dirty sack wrapped in a dead possum, and be furry and green with pink polkadots, hanging pompoms and a propeller on top for all I care, as I will be listening to them at home nearly always. I have no audiophile friends who will compare them to anything, am not in any audiophile scene, have no image at all to uphold or defend to anyone particularly, and simply care about the sound and fit and isolation: that's it.

Again: what have you got to recommend? Sounds like you agree somewhat with the TMA-1 plan. Other good options? Any reason to consider in-ear such as Klipsch X10i's or something like that? I have little experience with high-end earphones.

Regarding the BB: it is in Huntsville, Alabama, sound source: the stock Dr Dre Beats black demo unit with video screen, playing Black Eyed Peas, something that sounded like Take 6 or similar, and a two other now-forgotten tunes which I suspect could have be tweaked or carefully selected to highlight the beats in some special way: no way to try them with my own sound source there, which was disappointing.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #67 of 73

Quote:
I actually could care less about branding or looks, they could be called Hillbilly-UltraDelux-Blasteromatics-For-dumb-Idiots, come in a dirty sack wrapped in a dead possum, and be furry and green with pink polkadots, hanging pompoms and a propeller on top for all I care, as I will be listening to them at home nearly always. I have no audiophile friends who will compare them to anything, am not in any audiophile scene, have no image at all to uphold or defend to anyone particularly, and simply care about the sound and fit and isolation: that's it.

Again: what have you got to recommend? Sounds like you agree somewhat with the TMA-1 plan. Other good options? Any reason to consider in-ear such as Klipsch X10i's or something like that? I have little experience with high-end earphones.

Regarding the BB: it is in Huntsville, Alabama, sound source: the stock Dr Dre Beats black demo unit with video screen, playing Black Eyed Peas, something that sounded like Take 6 or similar, and a two other now-forgotten tunes which I suspect could have be tweaked or carefully selected to highlight the beats in some special way: no way to try them with my own sound source there, which was disappointing.

So...why is your source an iPhone if it's just at home? If you're willing to spend up to $800, you can get a lot nicer gear than the TMA-1 (Well, I can only make assumptions since I haven't heard them, and nobody wants to let me borrow a pair.) Laptop or desktop? Well, either way, you can get a USB DAC and an amp for $300ish give or take a hundred.

Then again, you might be better off, wallet-wise, if you just get the TMA's and never listen to anything better haha. The more research you do here, the more you'll want to spend.
wink_face.gif
I came in here looking to see if Skullcandies were any good, and now I'm planning a system that costs about $2000 altogether. No matter which way you go, your ears will thank you though. You won't get complete realism with any headphone under $200, or basically any price, but the higher up the ladder you go, the closer to reality you get.

Regarding in-ears, if you're just at home, don't really bother (This being said with about $900 in IEM's in my posession). You can get a better bang for your buck with larger headphones. The drawbacks, however, lie within portability. You can't really carry a system with you if you want to listen to music and walk around the house doing stuff.

And honestly, the best headphones I've heard for electronic weren't all that bass heavy. They were Sony SA5000's, and they were amazing because of  their sheer speed, detail, and spaciousness.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #68 of 73
The Fanny Wangs look like a possible alternative. Some review I just read (http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=1484.30) said they had some sort of a peak in the highs which gave some ear fatigue at some point. Thoughts?

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #69 of 73
Aright, MacBook laptop driving something is easy if that would be better. What would you drive the headphones with (consider dual outputs if possible, as my wife has hinted she might want to listen also at times)?

Reviews of the Sonys you recommend seem to highlight aspects such as being very revealing of sound source, not particularly rich on the low end, and quite detailed. They also seem to be open back, which could be a problem at times for my sleeping wife, as I an more of a night-owl than she is and tend to stay up listening to music long after she is asleep. What else comes to mind, just so I have explored options before the money is spent?

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #70 of 73

Quote:
The Fanny Wangs look like a possible alternative. Some review I just read (http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=1484.30) said they had some sort of a peak in the highs which gave some ear fatigue at some point. Thoughts?

That was my review
wink_face.gif
They give a bit of listener fatigue, but it's easy to get used to. And that fatigue sets in after 5 hours of listening, mind you. And I'm pretty sensitive to treble peaks (I'm weird and my mood totally drops into a depressive state when I listen to a certain kind of peak.) Comfort is great though. I've never had physical fatigue from them and I've used them for 12 hours straight at times.

Uhh...dual outputs? I can't think of any at the moment. I mean you can use headphone splitters, but they negatively impact sound.

I don't have any personal experience with USB DAC/amps, but there are a ton of options you can research here.

And basically yeah, that's what I loved about them. Closed, then for electronic, (and I hesitate to suggest this because I don't particularly like them, but I seem to be one of the few. I dislike the V-curve that you seem to be looking for, so don't listen to my preferences to sound. I like my mids more than anything, and put bass quantity last. Really comfy though.) then the D5000 works for the sound you like. So do Ultrasones. (or so I've read, but it seems like nobody is actually reading this thread, so I'm throwing a blind suggestion out even though it's blasphemous here)

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #71 of 73
Lol, beats

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #72 of 73
Dear Stainless824,

Alright, beats cause you to chuckle. You appear to be in good company in this.

I examined your rig and found it intriguing, and you appear to have fine taste, as those components all garner fine reviews. However, the HD800's are open back, I believe, which wouldn't work as well for me, though I realize they routinely are considered one of the very best. Further those components would go beyond what I currently wish to spend. What closed back solution would you recommend for my application that fits closer to my current budget, and, if it needs an amp/DAC, what amp/DAC?

Sincerely wishing to learn and make good choices,

Daniel

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #73 of 73
After reading http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana, which was obviously really helpful, finally went with this rig:

iphone/macbook/iMac > FiiO L3 LOD/USB > FiiO E7/E9 > TMA-1's, cost $450 not including sources. While not as fancy as some, it seemed a good place to start and a real improvement over what I have, though some sneaky laughing part of my brain continues to think I am an idiot and should have been able to find some sort of global iphone EQ app that would have gotten me 90% of the way there at 1/100th of the cost. Regardless, it is done.

Reasoning: TMA-1's are closed back and rated as good for electronica, have good bass but apparently not too much, got generally good reviews and were considered a good deal for the price, compared favorably to HD25's, Beats for better or worse seem to be blasted here, L3/E7/E9 combo seems solid entry level DAC/AMP at reasonable price and has a lot of flexibility and can be portable, can add second E9 to daisy chain off first E9 if wife wants to listen also, and came in under budget. It was amazing how easy it was to suddenly be thinking of $3000+ rigs, but I somehow managed to restrain myself. Who knew headphones were like crack?

Thanks for all the resources, support, knowledge and wisdom this site provides, particularly when trying to find a place to actually try this stuff out for oneself is nearly impossible unless you live somewhere very urban or unusual, so far as I can tell.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back