dr. dre beats? vs hd650?
Jul 4, 2009 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

dhp1161

New Head-Fier
looked thru 3 pages and didnt see anything about these
getting so much hype from them
are they actually good...?

i know the hd650 are a little more expensive but is it like 5x better?

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 32
Yes, but keep in mind that Senn isn't the only competitor.

For $300, you could get a much better setup than the Beats are going to offer.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 32
I'm sure you've seen elsewhere in the posts about "the beats" that you can try them out at Best Buy. They don't give any information about their source or amp, but it might be a good place to start if you're interested. They seem pretty nice for the price, especially if you're into more bass heavy music (also if you're going to be around other people while listening, because they are closed, they have the added benefit of not sounding like a clock radio to everyone around you).

But as far as real quality I agree that there is a huge difference, but again, it doesn't seem like "the beats" are really trying to compete with the HD650's. To me, one says, "shut up, sit down, close your eyes and listen to some music" and the other is a pretty nice set of cans to use anywhere.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 32
dr. dre's and skullcandy cater the same market group, and I can assure you that the majority in this group doesnt even know that headphone amps exist, let alone flac or high fidelity reproduction.

although I dont like the hd650's the comparison is not even apples and oranges, its more like brassieres and salmon...

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 32
The Beats suck.

The Beats are designed for one thing and one thing only: to deliver the maximum amount of bass possible in a headphone. They're aimed squarely at the hip hop/rap crowd, as well.

If you only listen to rap and want as much bass as possible, then buy the Beats. You'll love them - they're just for you.

On the other hand, if you want headphones that can be used with any genre of music and were developed for a clean response across the board, but the Sennheisers. Or AKGs, Grados, Denons, Beyerdynamics, Audio-Technicas, Sonys, Ultrasones, Staxes, or probably a few others I'm leaving out. But that doesn't include Bose, which also sucks, but for different reasons I won't get into. There are plenty of threads here detailing just how awful Bose is if you want to read them.

Amplification? Don't worry about that. An old two channel receiver with a headphone jack will power pretty much all of the headphones you read about here. So will the PreSonus HP4, which goes for about $100. So don't worry about an amp. There are a number of inexpensive options that work fine. You can, of course, spend a bit more on an amp if you want.

If you'd like a good pair of headphones, tell us how much you plan to spend, what kind of music you listen to, whether you'd prefer open or closed headphones, and whether you want ones that go around you ear or sit on your ear. If we know those, you'll get good recommendations.

If you want reassurance about how bad the Beats are, run a few searches for them in the member lists. I think there are something like 100,000 members now - you will find very few members who own them. Keep in mind that there are a number of people here with five or six figures invested into their stereos. They'll buy anything they enjoy, but virtually none own these. There are, however, people with huge investments into amps, CD players, turntables, etc. who own the HD-650. That should tell you something.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 32
But Uncle Erik, popularity, even in niche hobbyist forums, doesn't always mean it's better
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 32
Not completely related here, but I would love to actually hear the Beats at a reasonable volume sometime. All the demo stations I've seen (as in a couple different Best Buys) have the volume turned up so high my head hurts.

I guess that's what most people are in to though. louder is better (blech
mad.gif
)

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beats suck.

The Beats are designed for one thing and one thing only: to deliver the maximum amount of bass possible in a headphone. They're aimed squarely at the hip hop/rap crowd, as well.

Have you actually heard them? They are not extremely bass heavy and are fairly netural considering the name that is slapped along side them. Their main turn-off is the active noise cancelling that to my knowledge cannot be turned off on the stock model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back