"Downgrading" from LCD-2 to mid-tier closed-backs for more bass?
Jul 27, 2018 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Markdude

New Head-Fier
I recently got an Audeze LCD-2 (latest version I believe) and sent it to Sonarworks to get a custom calibration file made. They sound great and I figured they'd be my "endgame" purchase, but they've made me realize that even though I want neutrality across most of the spectrum, I suppose I'm a bit of a basshead. The sub-bass extension is impressive (especially for an open headphone), but I'm still craving a bit more thump (I'd guess in the 50-100 Hz range). If I use the Sonarworks bass boost function cranked all the way up (which looks like a 6dB low shelf from ~150 Hz down) I get pretty close to what I'm wanting, but I still crave a little bit more.

I've started researching headphones again and it seems to me like something closed-back and possibly with dynamic drivers is probably the route to go for the low end I desire. I know that I'd be sacrificing soundstage and imaging detail, but honestly I think I'd be OK with that. After researching countless FR graphs and reviews (and reading/seeing many contradictory things), I really feel like I'm chasing my tail, and I also am questioning myself since it seems like I'd be 'downgrading' to a lower-tier headphone with some of these options.

Here's some of the options I'm considering (but I'm open to other suggestions). I'd probably send the new headphones to Sonarworks if they don't have a profile already made (or even if an average profile already exists, I might still send something in for a custom one if it's one of the cheaper options).

Oppo PM-3
Audeze Sine
AKG K553 Pro
AudioQuest NightOwl (I know these are controversially dark but maybe Sonarworks can brighten them up)
Final Audio Sonorous (not sure which version)
Bowers & Wilkins P7 wireless version (but with cable -- it's my understanding that the FR is better on the wireless version)
Focal Listen Pro (I can buy a set directly from Sonarworks with custom calibration, which is a plus)
Denon AH-D7200
MrSpeakers Aeon Flow (closed)

Do any of these seem like they'd be a good choice for more impactful bass without compromising much of the rest of the frequency spectrum (especially since Sonarworks can presumably help out there)?

Or should I stick with the LCD-2 and perhaps look into something like a different headphone amp that has an analog bass boost? I'm a little wary of that option since I presume it could add noise, and the idea of boosting the hell out of something that just isn't sufficiently there to begin with doesn't seem ideal.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Check out the Modhouse Argon...supposed to have pretty fantastic bass AND excellent soundstage...I haven't been able to send my T 20RP off for modding yet, but from what I read it might be something you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back