Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #226 of 587
Been looking at one of these for a new in-car audio setup. Upgrading the BMW HiFi amp with a Bimmertech PP86DSP (ala audiotec fischer), which PnP to the factory head unit, but has a separate optical input. The unit will switch between the input depending on the active signal.

My current setup is iPhone tidal app -> BT to a Tune2Air WM3000B which integrates with the factory usb/aux input. The new amp should hopefully improve the SQ to an extend, but still, it's BT.

I'm hoping to improve the SQ even more by: iPhone tidal app -> lightning midi cable (usb-b) -> U2P (with an external 5v power source, likely linked to the switched power of the amp) -> toslink cable -> PP86DSP. The beaut thing is that my phone will still be connected to the Tune2Air via BT and the steering wheel button would still work to skip tracks, but volume won't work obviously.

Question: Any potential issue with this setup? and what is the best streaming quality I can expect with Tidal? Would I get up to the master quality or HiFi?
I do something similar in my car with an old school Alpine PXA processor (optical in), but I have it hardwired with a extension lightning cable + CCK and use Qobuz + local hi res files on an iPad mini, sounds awesome!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #227 of 587
If anyone is looking for a cheap LPS solution for this thing, I have been using the Topping P50 (with a DIY USB to DC Gotham cable) with very good results.

For extra cheap, a power bank battery also works pretty well (though I prefer the Topping LPS by a slight margin).

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #228 of 587
Got this tonight, went from PC - USB - Douk U2 - Optical - Bifrost 2 and I thought it sounded flat and muddy compared to unison usb. Was feeling let down but I also had a coax cable so I tried Douk U2 - Coax - Bifrost 2 instead. Def an upgrade over Unison USB. I kept going back and forth between the Unison and the Douk 2 Coax and had noticeably better detail and clarity. The upgrade in details is worth the price imo. I suppose iit would sound better with a LPS. Not sure why optical sounds so much worse than Coax.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #229 of 587
The left and right channels are reversed when using i2s on the Gustard X26 Pro.
Does anyone know how I can switch them?

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #232 of 587
Need some input regarding how to make the U2P work in my application. I have been enjoying Apple Music a lot recently. For convenience, I am using iPad (7th Gen., Software version 15.2) as my source via a Lightning to USB camera adapter. But it wouldn't send USB signal to the U2P. I also tried with my iPhone 11 with the same result. In contrast, the chain of iPad --Lightning-USB--Schiit Eitr--Airist R2R DAC works well. The U2P is meant for a second setup so that I won't need to move the Eitr a lot.

Any suggestions for problem-solving with iPad as a signal source? Thanks.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #233 of 587
Need some input regarding how to make the U2P work in my application. I have been enjoying Apple Music a lot recently. For convenience, I am using iPad (7th Gen., Software version 15.2) as my source via a Lightning to USB camera adapter. But it wouldn't send USB signal to the U2P. I also tried with my iPhone 11 with the same result. In contrast, the chain of iPad --Lightning-USB--Schiit Eitr--Airist R2R DAC works well. The U2P is meant for a second setup so that I won't need to move the Eitr a lot.

Any suggestions for problem-solving with iPad as a signal source? Thanks.
I think the USB chip is XMOS so it may not be compatible natively with iOS. Might need to do a workaround or a bootcamp windows sideload or something like that but I know nothing about iOS lol.

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #234 of 587
I think the USB chip is XMOS so it may not be compatible natively with iOS. Might need to do a workaround or a bootcamp windows sideload or something like that but I know nothing about iOS lol.
Thanks. But Amazon product specifications says: "Compatible with 32/64 bit Win 7~10 systems (needs driver), Mac OS 10.6 and Native Linux with UAC2 (no driver needed), Android with OTG function". Some user reviews mentioned the use of the U2P with iPhone. I just cannot figure out why this is not working for me.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #235 of 587
With u2 pro- upgraded clocks connected to D1se by coaxial(because D1se i2s input does not work, i tried all i can, smsl asked the unit to send back for repair, i refused this), and the sound become softer and smoother, background become greyer, sound more comfort overall, but imho loosed resolution 10-15%. I use linear power supply and good cables with the unit, so.... i can't tell that i prefer the changes, converter changed sound signature of the dac, and the sound become more similar to Topping d90, which i sold previous. D1se has its own character when connected by usb, and coaxial input moved away all things that i like from this dac.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #236 of 587
Thanks. But Amazon product specifications says: "Compatible with 32/64 bit Win 7~10 systems (needs driver), Mac OS 10.6 and Native Linux with UAC2 (no driver needed), Android with OTG function". Some user reviews mentioned the use of the U2P with iPhone. I just cannot figure out why this is working for me.
Have you tried the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with power going to the iPad?

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #237 of 587
Thanks. But Amazon product specifications says: "Compatible with 32/64 bit Win 7~10 systems (needs driver), Mac OS 10.6 and Native Linux with UAC2 (no driver needed), Android with OTG function". Some user reviews mentioned the use of the U2P with iPhone. I just cannot figure out why this is working for me.
Are you using a seperate power supply?

Just guessing I will try it with my iPad when I get home.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #238 of 587
It works with my iphone X -> 3rd party lightning camera cable -> USB -> U2P -> optical out to my amp. But it needs the separate power supply in order to work. The apple devices will not send enough power via USB. (iPad pro via usb-c might but definitely not iPhone)

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #239 of 587
It works with my iphone X -> 3rd party lightning camera cable -> USB -> U2P -> optical out to my amp. But it needs the separate power supply in order to work. The apple devices will not send enough power via USB. (iPad pro via usb-c might but definitely not iPhone)
Could you post a link to the lightning camera cable you are using? I had the 5v power supply on to the U2P when I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back