Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal
Oct 23, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #196 of 614
Got the U2 with 3xTCXO upgrade, fantastic ! Presentation is like 'glass' is only way I can describe it vs USB...not very
scientific, I know.

Any of you find the optical connection can cut out if you move it ?
My Hugo 2 port end does not have that issues...
Just trying to find out if others are a bit loose on the U2 port. I know you won't normally move them around
but I set it up at different locations and when moving it a bit more can cut out a few seconds..not the optical
cable, tried 2 already.

Am going to also get a coax cable and test out vs optical - see if its even possible to tell the difference.

I doubt you can tell the difference between this DDC and ones 5x 10x etc...in blind tests.
Indeed, my experience with the U2 pro (Crystek CCHD-957 Oscillators) also improves the sonic presentation in terms of clarity and transparency.

My ears/brain could not detect significant difference between coax spdif and optical. However I am keen to know about your finding as well as it could be component dependent (was using basic spdif coaxial & optical cables).

I do not have the chance to experiment anymore as I have returned this nice and affordable little DDC because it does not pair quite well with my DAC (too much jitters causing locking issues)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #197 of 614
Indeed, my experience with the U2 pro (Crystek CCHD-957 Oscillators) also improves the sonic presentation in terms of clarity and transparency.

My ears/brain could not detect significant difference between coax spdif and optical. However I am keen to know about your finding as well as it could be component dependent (was using basic spdif coaxial & optical cables).

I do not have the chance to experiment anymore as I have returned this nice and affordable little DDC because it does not pair quite well with my DAC (too much jitters causing locking issues)
I did notice drop-out over optical for a second or so since using it.
I will probably have to go over to coax if it matches or seems better than optical..

With output port testing it's in this zone of 0.00001% difference probably and the imagination factors in more than facts probably.
Anyway, after this I'm a DDC convert.
Hugo 2 does not have galvanic isolation and from what i read any noise pollution reduces holography/spatial imaging..and that is what is most stand-out with the difference.

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #198 of 614
Hugo 2 does not have galvanic isolation and from what i read any noise pollution reduces holography/spatial imaging..and that is what is most stand-out with the difference.
Yes, for this reason on the optical connection you don't need to worry about. However when you switch to coax which introduce some leaks, make a plan for redirecting ground loops. For battery powered DACs like Hugo (if there is no connected HP amps or other devices), it is similar to optical. In both cases use USB cable with ferrite clamp (s), thats all. Even a cable coming with U2Pro is fine.

When using external power supply with Hugo (or extra mains powered connected devices), get an external power supply for U2Pro. For testing it can be regulated DC 5V/1A, typical USB phone charger. USB cable should be audio quality (with thick wires) and as short as possible. A cable supplied with U2Pro is thick, looking professional, has a ferrite choke, but a measured resistance is about 1 Ohm, which is very bad for such short cable. Ferrite chokes on the cable can make sound worse, as the whole idea is to close current flow with a low impedance path between PC/laptop and a DDC. In practice you will need to test different cables. In my opinion you should use a cable with ferrite chokes only if on the plain cable there are occasional driver lockups.

You need to fix optical socket solder joints in the local cellphone repair shop. Intermittent contact is probably a reason for drop offs. Also test different sampling rates. What you wrote is not right. SoXified 176Khz should sound very close 192kHz and better than Hugo internal oversampling engine.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #199 of 614
Wish I could have tested the highest level clock U2 next to the mid-level one - to see if its even possible to hear a difference.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #200 of 614
..anyone know what happened with Lolito OP guy ?
got banned...

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #201 of 614
To bad. This member had no bad attitude, sad.
Two days ago I was restricted from the other thread, my last post is saying that Holo DACs are not NOS.

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #202 of 614
To bad. This member had no bad attitude, sad.
Two days ago I was restricted from the other thread, my last post is saying that Holo DACs are not NOS.
Are you into the electronics design side of things ? Seem to go deeper than most.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #203 of 614
Are you into the electronics design side of things ? Seem to go deeper than most.
Only on a begining of my life, education, degree and few first 7-10 years of employement. It started as a hobby and ending as hobby. :)

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #205 of 614
What is fem-to driver version about? :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #208 of 614
I thought you knew what you were downloading, so you could tell us.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #210 of 614
Hi guys, interested in this device for smsl d1se. Maybe somebody has more impressions and comparisons with and without this unit?
I say go for it, all the way, 100%. And get an iFi SilentPower iPower 2(5V) to power it with. Both of these products are the real deal, with super clean, impressive output. And they're cheap! Refund if not happy as happy as we are, of course. ; ) Nothing but happy with the U2 Pro providing clean signal to my Bifrost 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back