Double Helix Cables Thread
Nov 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #136 of 2,056
biggrin.gif
 indeed, it is the peptide

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #137 of 2,056
Massive pics post!

A huge thanks to Peter for putting on the Halloween contest again this year... not too often that you run into somebody in the audio industry willing to go to such great lengths regarding conducting giveaways for their fans. I was fortunate to be the winner of the Goliath, pictured here... well, as it turns out, that is by no means a misnomer. This thing is massive... in fact, I have it from Peter himself that he doesn't commercially produce any 16-wires, so this is truly a rare DHC custom piece! Awesome 
biggrin.gif

Quick rundown on specs: 16-wire, semi-flat braid, Peptide OCC copper litz for with Audez'e connectors and a 4-pin XLR. Also, did I mention that it's enormous?

Enough talk, it's cable-pr0n time:

A little overview

Curves 
wink.gif

It's a little hard to get a sense of size from the photos, so here's the Goliath next to my DHC 8-wire Macromolecule:

Actually dwarfs the Macro! 
blink.gif

Down the barrel of a loaded gun.

An up-close glimpse at the splitters.

Down the tracks.

As per the contest page, you really could strangle a zombie or two with this thing. Which, as demonstrated in my posts a few pages back, happens to be exactly what I'm looking for in my audio gear!

The only tragedy of this story is that erm... Well, I can't exactly put it to use yet, as my current system is single-ended D: However, I'm hoping to move towards balanced across the next few months (maybe Mjolnir/Gungnir if I'm sticking with Schiit stacks? Or do I wait on Schiit statements...), so hopefully the Goliath can get some playtime sooner rather than later. Till then, it makes a nice self-defense weapon. Thanks again Peter! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #138 of 2,056
It sure looks silly next to that smaller cable.  There are smaller 16 wire braids out there but I haven't a clue how to do them.  I'd get a Mjolnir first.  Especially if you have any reservations with tubes - the Mjo will be their top non tube amp for the forseeable future.  And I can't really picture a nastier solid state amp.  It's nastier than my B22, which is practically impossible to achieve.  

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #139 of 2,056
Massive pics post!

The only tragedy of this story is that erm... Well, I can't exactly put it to use yet, as my current system is single-ended D: However, I'm hoping to move towards balanced across the next few months (maybe Mjolnir/Gungnir if I'm sticking with Schiit stacks? Or do I wait on Schiit statements...), so hopefully the Goliath can get some playtime sooner rather than later. Till then, it makes a nice self-defense weapon. Thanks again Peter! :beerchug:

Get an adapter so you can wear that as a belt for now.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #140 of 2,056
I modeled it after this belt my wife saw on Neiman Marcus.  

Fraggler can make you a ultra-short 4 pin female to dual 4 pin mini xlr male adapter so you can wear this like a bandolier to your next meet.  

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #143 of 2,056
Quote:
Massive pics post!

A huge thanks to Peter for putting on the Halloween contest again this year... not too often that you run into somebody in the audio industry willing to go to such great lengths regarding conducting giveaways for their fans. I was fortunate to be the winner of the Goliath, pictured here... well, as it turns out, that is by no means a misnomer. This thing is massive... in fact, I have it from Peter himself that he doesn't commercially produce any 16-wires, so this is truly a rare DHC custom piece! Awesome 
biggrin.gif

Quick rundown on specs: 16-wire, semi-flat braid, Peptide OCC copper litz for with Audez'e connectors and a 4-pin XLR. Also, did I mention that it's enormous?

Enough talk, it's cable-pr0n time:

A little overview

Curves 
wink.gif

It's a little hard to get a sense of size from the photos, so here's the Goliath next to my DHC 8-wire Macromolecule:

Actually dwarfs the Macro! 
blink.gif

Down the barrel of a loaded gun.

An up-close glimpse at the splitters.

Down the tracks.

As per the contest page, you really could strangle a zombie or two with this thing. Which, as demonstrated in my posts a few pages back, happens to be exactly what I'm looking for in my audio gear!

The only tragedy of this story is that erm... Well, I can't exactly put it to use yet, as my current system is single-ended D: However, I'm hoping to move towards balanced across the next few months (maybe Mjolnir/Gungnir if I'm sticking with Schiit stacks? Or do I wait on Schiit statements...), so hopefully the Goliath can get some playtime sooner rather than later. Till then, it makes a nice self-defense weapon. Thanks again Peter! 
beerchug.gif

Wow thats cool ill post some pics of the grand prize i won when ever it comes in, also will be writting a review/ compaison to my xlo interconnects. cant wait till they come in.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #144 of 2,056
Just ordered my Symbiote for ES5, thanks to Girls Generation. Been thinking about a cable for a while now, and just couldn't find the right one for the ES5. Very excited to try this one. Not excited about the wait, but I am sure it will be worth it. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #145 of 2,056
Congrats, they'll serve you well. Burn in period is around 100 hours until it evens out. Sound will vary in between. Did you get regular or SE?
Quote:
Just ordered my Symbiote for ES5, thanks to Girls Generation. Been thinking about a cable for a while now, and just couldn't find the right one for the ES5. Very excited to try this one. Not excited about the wait, but I am sure it will be worth it. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #146 of 2,056
Edit: I see you ordered it yesterday.  Nicely done.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #147 of 2,056
Thanks!

And I snagged the regular. I hemmed and haw'd over it and still question it. But I know the regular will suit me fantastically for now. Can't wait. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #148 of 2,056
So the Double Helix "True Helix"  grand prize interconnects from the halloween giveaway have arrived(20 min ago) here are some pics. Thanks to Peter for bearing with me as i was probably being a fuss about lengths and other stuff. and some stuff Peter said about his true helix cables and his spore cable,"The Spores reduce inductance at the expense of capacitance, while the True Helix does the opposite.  They are different ways of attacking the same problem - how to best handle the signal as it travels down the cable - physical separation and isolation vs. an ideal arrangement of the 2 wires in fairly close proximity.  I will say that the True Helix has superior dampening.  The wires are absolutely immobilized with high tension strands of silk.  Vibration is a non-issue and braid conformity is absolutely uniform.  At every millimeter of the cable's length the wires are literally tied together like they are trapped in a spider's web."

The pair on my Synthesis nimis

Close up of the plug (dont mind the book)

full view of one the the interconnects

Because ive only had them for a little while i cant really give them a good review (will make one later after a couple good listening sessions), what i can tell right now though is from the xlo interconnects i have, they sound a bit bigger and maybe a little warmer.
Dac-->true helix-->eico or nimis-->audio note speakercable-->dynaco a-35 or 25 (i know not you standard headphone set up, acctually no headphones(may use my hd 600 later)),

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #149 of 2,056
Nice setup!  Glad I could finally deliver them to you, making them required a few game plans to be changed as I went along.  

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #150 of 2,056
Hi there scootermafia!

I'll toss some extra bones into your Paypal account to fast track my cable! 
etysmile.gif
  Ever considered a fast track plan, kind of like Westone provides? Could earn you a few extra bucks for us impatient sorts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back