Double Helix Cables Thread
Nov 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #151 of 2,043
Recently ordered a new braided interconnect from double helix, I'll post some pics when it comes in. I can't wait though, I'm suffering with a best buy interconnect that makes a poor connection right now :p

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #152 of 2,043
What would you recommend for the Shure SE535ltd-j red??
Just got a pair and read about some baldur cable. (Am new to iem cables. Coming from a UM2 and SM3 without removables)
Using apple lossless in nano with alo lod to rsa shadow

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #156 of 2,043
Quote:
Silver plated copper*
Your personal preference really.

The silver plated copper has a smaller diameter, is a touch more flexible, and is shinier.  I like it for portable cables.  I still love the copper peptide for everything else (just love the way copper looks).  

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #157 of 2,043
Double Helix Macromolecule Peptide 8 wire for Audeze LCD-3

Hi, I just also received delivery of my Double Helix Macromolecule 8 wire peptide for Audeze LCD3 with Vintage Audio 3 pin XLR cables from Peter at Double Helix.

Many thanks to Peter at Double Helix for his valuable advice and patience.... His response to my questions and concerns were literally instantaneous.....One of the best pre-sales I've ever experienced....

Above is the picture of my set-up.... the silver dragon on the right to give you an idea of the size of the Macromolecule Peptide.

Build quality of Peter's work is really excellent !!

I recently upgraded my AUDEZE LCD2 to an LCD3.

LCD-2 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon V2
When I had my LCD-2 I upgraded the stock cable to a Moon Audio Silver Dragon V2 cable and achieved a very good result. It did a great job of introducing a little more mid-high energy and cleaned up the slight puffiness in the bass. It also did a great job of opening up the sound-stage with increased levels of micro detail and air.

LCD-3 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon V2
When I received delivery of my LCD, I compared the sound between the LCD3 stock cable and the silver dragon V2. I was reasonably happy with the tonal balance and bass weight of the stock cable. However, with the Silver Dragon, I found the slight emphasis toward mid-high sometimes little too far for it to sound balanced and tonally satisfying (despite the increased levels detail I got from the silver). I kept going back and forth between stock and the silver dragon as my preferences varied with different music material and also combination of rectifier, driver, and power tubes..... ( on a Woo WA22 Balanced amplifier. I sometimes felt the organic nature and presence of the LCD sound was slightly compromised. With this experience I went on the hunt for a copper after market cable.....

LCD-3 with Double Helix Macromolecule Peptide 8 Wire.
I hope I have chosen the best copper headphone cable available..... I did also give careful consideration to silver plated copper.... but have gone for an all copper cable instead...
Having only just received the cables today, I'll have to do a fair bit of listening between the two or three cables before posting my thoughts..... What I have also done as part of this change-over is to swap out my DIY Sharkwire Silver XLR interconnects (between DAC and AMP) to a pair of XLR Macromolecule Peptide interconnects. I'll be doing my comparison of just the headphone cables (Double Helix Molecule peptide and MoonAudio Silver Dragon V2) with the XLR Macromolecule interconnects.

Dec 2012 - First impressions.... seems to have noticably more of bottom end presence and extension...I like the bass, full and rich.....  sweeter and lusher sounding... Will post my thoughts on this cable once I've logged a few more hours of listening...... but I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far...... happy ears ahead... :)

LCD3 with Double Helix -  Later Impressions.......Feb 2013 - after 500+ hours of burn in....
These cables have definitely more resolution and micro-detail than the Audeze stock... more upper treble energy but equalled also with more lower bass detail and extension. The sound stage seems deeper and wider with an effortless presentation. The ambiance of the recordings are definitely more present. Music impact and decay is very enjoyable... a very addictive and palatable listening experience. There's just lots of music detail..even at low volume listing levels... you can kind of feel the sub-bass energy... How does it compare with the silver? Not as cold/ short sounding and does not have that slight mid/hi emphasis and slight lack of bass energy I found with silver.. The macromolecule does not loose out in detail retrieval, To me, I definitely prefer it. It sounds richer and more balanced across the entire frequency range.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #158 of 2,043
From my experience with the peptide, it takes around 50 hours to settle in and around 100 to be done settling in. In between, sound will vary/go back and forth.
Quote:
-snip-

First impressions.... seems to have noticably more of bottom end presence and extension...I like the bass, full and rich.....  sweeter and lusher sounding... Will post my thoughts on this cable once I've logged a few more hours of listening...... but I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far...... happy ears ahead... :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #159 of 2,043
Thanks for the advice... Yes I intend to run in the cables for at least 150 hours before doing A-B comparisons between the silver and Litz peptide... I have probably over 500 hours on the silver since last year.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #160 of 2,043
Hi all,

Do you think there would be any difference sonically between the 2-strand DHC Symbiote SE litz OCC and the normal 4 strand version?

I like the size (and cost) benefits of the 2 strand, but don't want to sacrifice sound quality. Btw, I'll be using it with UM Miracles.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #161 of 2,043
Only Peter could tell you really. I would say it probably won't make a big difference, but 4-wire to be safe. It's all up to you.

Quote:
Hi all,

Do you think there would be any difference sonically between the 2-strand DHC Symbiote SE litz OCC and the normal 4 strand version?

I like the size (and cost) benefits of the 2 strand, but don't want to sacrifice sound quality. Btw, I'll be using it with UM Miracles.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #162 of 2,043
That is just plain sexy.

Quote:
Actually dwarfs the Macro! 
blink.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #163 of 2,043
Quote:
What would you recommend for the Shure SE535ltd-j red??
Just got a pair and read about some baldur cable. (Am new to iem cables. Coming from a UM2 and SM3 without removables)
Using apple lossless in nano with alo lod to rsa shadow

Symbiote, absolutely. I have the same SE535s right now with a custom DHC Symbiote set-up.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #164 of 2,043
Just wanted to give Peter,a big Thank You ,for getting my cables out quickly,during the holiday season.
I asked him to make me a 6' cable for the he-6's,..4-pin XLR,and,an adapter for my Emotiva speaker amp.
They are IMHO,beautiful ,,and ,if they sound half as good ,as they look...I'll be happy..
Should have them next week.,will post more impressions,after I do some listening.
Excellent job,Peter

Mike

See here:

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #165 of 2,043
[/RIGHT]got the cables & adapter today,hooked them up to my Emotiva speaker amp.
They sound fantastic,bass seems a little deeper,and treble is clean & crisp

I,m more than happy with this cable---I should have contacted Peter,long before this.

Tnx,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back