Don't Crucify Me! Gilmore Lite (DT880,..) Sounds Like a Very Fine 'TRANSISTOR' Radio!
Apr 4, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #91 of 117
A lot of us should just /ignore AdamCalifornia's posts; his threads are usually the stupidest on Head-Fi.

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #92 of 117
My emphasis in bold and underlying in the below interesting quotation!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I also find it hard to believe, not based on personal experience, but what I've read on the forums, that
a Gilmore Lite would make a decent source that doesn't sound like a transistor radio itself sound like a transistor radio.

Let me get the heart of this:

'Gilmore Lite would make a decent source that doesn't sound like a transistor radio itself sound like a transistor radio.'

Look what he is saying: I've read on the forums, and he uses the plural form!

In my original post, in the Corollary I said that GL transforms 'good sound'
into 'transistor radio'-like sound! Check for exact wording, I don't remember now!
I was also talking about the 'contaminating milk' (because when I don't drink a pitcher of beer I drink a shot milk) in the original post!

How about the Engineers, DIY-ers, which I mentioned above?
Will they ever say this loudly? This is a no-brainer again.
The answer is NO! There are too many inter-connections, lobbying, etc here.
This is tabooooooooooooooooooo here! Don't be naive!
But what is the most funny here that also the designers and engineers of GL know that! They've got the measurements.
They know what's going on. They know that they did not get it right. Do you expect them to come up and confess it? Nope!

By the way, does anyone of you know why GL can perform very welll with a very good source, say Zanden for $55,000? I think I know.
All audio engineers, and perhaps good DIY-ers, would tell tell you this in a split of a sec.
I give you a hint, Zanden would output to GL fabulously rich milk (sound), which would be hard to contaminate.
Small GL as a 'contaminator' is not able to mess up the sound substantially because the sound is too 'solid'.

Another perspective:
There are two ships. One is a huge one carrying some goods. The other is the GL, call it 'destroyer', very small one.
Can the GL-destroyer knock down the big one? NO! But it can make a dent on its side.

That's why GL (sound contaminator or destroyer) makes only a dent on the very good sources' sound.
Now if GL-destroyer hits another comparable size ship or a boat it can knock it down. Can't it?
This means that in terms of the sound, it can contaminate the sound of weaker sources badly, by making it e.g. metallic.

Now, these were just analogies. You put the proper numbers here!
Do you know what I am talking about? I can do this, perhaps some other time.

I still don't feel that you all understand what the word 'euphemism' means!?
Could anyone give me a beer or at least the definition of the word 'euphemism'?

Have a non-metallic dream,

Adam
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #93 of 117
An engineer would point out that somone talking only in euphemisms rather than facts doesn't know what they're talking about. No, a great source feeding a crap amp will not sound good. Thats idiotic. If that were true, all anyone would ever buy is a great source and the cheapest crappiest amp possible, because it cannot "be corrupted". At which point I'd string it to a pair of tin cans and call it a day. Your logic blows. If anything the opposite is true. Any bad piece in the chain will cause it to sound like crap.

Most engineers/DIY'ers would agree garbage in = garbage out. Same for posters on online forums. Welcome to my ignore list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia

'Gilmore Lite would make a decent source that doesn't sound like a transistor radio itself sound like a transistor radio.'

into 'transistor radio'-like sound! Check for exact wording, I don't remember now!
I was also talking about the 'contaminating milk' (because when I don't drink a pitcher of beer I drink a shot milk) in the original post!

But what is the most funny here that also the designers and engineers of GL know that! They've got the measurements.
They know what's going on. They know that they did not get it right. Do you expect them to come up and confess it? Nope!

By the way, does anyone of you know why GL can perform very welll with a very good source, say Zanden for $55,000? I think I know.
All audio engineers, and perhaps good DIY-ers, would tell tell you this in a split of a sec.
I give you a hint, Zanden would output to GL fabulously rich milk (sound), which would be hard to contaminate.
Small GL as a 'contaminator' is not able to mess up the sound substantially because the sound is too 'solid'.

Another perspective:
There are two ships. One is a huge one carrying some goods. The other is the GL, call it 'destroyer', very small one.
Can the GL-destroyer knock down the big one? NO! But it can make a dent on its side.

That's why GL (sound contaminator or destroyer) makes only a dent on the very good sources' sound.
Now if GL-destroyer hits another comparable size ship or a boat it can knock it down. Can't it?
This means that in terms of the sound, it can contaminate the sound of weaker sources badly, by making it e.g. metallic.

Adam
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #94 of 117
Quote:

Another perspective:

To paraphrase a line from a movie, whose title I can't recall: I don't know what it is about this fella, but I don't understand a word he says.
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #95 of 117
Quote:

Surely you realize the rediculousness of this claim; you're acting as if you're the ONLY person who owns the Gilmore Lite on these forums, therefore no one else has any say in it because one reader said that he finds it hard to believe.

Grow up and open your eyes; you're not the only person on this forum qualified to say how the gilmore lite sounds like. I would venture to say that there are 100's of Gilmore lite owners on this forum who hear absolutely NOTHING that you claim. GET A CLUE. I'm sitting here, and having heard both the headroom micro amp w/ DM and the Gilmore lite SIDE BY SIDE, I never heard ANYTHING about the gilmore lite that made the sound "metalic"; therefore IN MY SYSTEM it has none of these qualities. Does this make my stance on the gilmore lite an absolute? certainly not. I like you have little experience with headphone amps in this price range. But at least I don't try to impose my views on everyone else by constantly restating myself over and over.

I hate to break this to you adam, but your opinion is not law; in fact, as mean as this is, no one cares about your opinions. Do you have extensive knowledge with headphones, headphone amps, and headphone setups? Have you attended several meets? Your opinion/word on comparing amplifiers in this price range, like mine and like the many new comers on this forum, has little to no true value and should be left to those who have extensive experience with these things.

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #96 of 117
Mark,

If you go to Adam's profile there's a little button there that will allow you to enjoy this thread a great deal more (aka see Akwok's post).

Nate

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #97 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Mark,

If you go to Adam's profile there's a little button there that will allow you to enjoy this thread a great deal more (aka see Akwok's post).

Nate

Wow, that worked wonders, thanks for the heads up =D

Apr 4, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #98 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
A lot of us should just /ignore AdamCalifornia's posts; his threads are usually the stupidest on Head-Fi.

Not me. His are pretty much the only ones I read, and that's because they are stupid. The rest are just re-treads of the same crap we've all been posting about for the past five years. His are crazy trainwrecks that always seem to bring out the best in people. Mostly I just come here for the free entertainment.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #100 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd
Not me. His are pretty much the only ones I read, and that's because they are stupid. The rest are just re-treads of the same crap we've all been posting about for the past five years. His are crazy trainwrecks that always seem to bring out the best in people. Mostly I just come here for the free entertainment.

That is so very true.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #101 of 117
Quote:

This is conspiracy theory at its best.

The gilmore lite is based on a design freely available on headwize since 2001. This design has been built a lot before Justin started selling them. Check the diy forum for the very old threads by BoyElroy or Jarthel. Or go to Headwize, where the first posts about the amp are. The DIYers will indeed be the first to tell you the amp design is good, not because they are submitted to lobbying but because they built it and compared it to other designs.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #103 of 117
Quote:

Come to think of it, you do have a point
biggrin.gif
*unignores*

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #104 of 117
Quote:

Whoa, same here. I've been watching this type of thread for entertainment as well and guessing the number of hours of their lives people are willing to spend just trying to make their pov accepted by others. Human nature-- the necessity to prove oneself right-- is always a wonder to behold. Either that, or some people just have really a lot of free time on their hands.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #105 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Come to think of it, you do have a point
biggrin.gif
*unignores*

Hahaha. Go ahead and ignore me. Seriously, I'm pretty much just a troll at this point. Sooner or later I'll go a little too far and get banned again. No biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back