Don't Crucify Me! Gilmore Lite (DT880,..) Sounds Like a Very Fine 'TRANSISTOR' Radio!
Apr 3, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #76 of 117
I thank all the gentlemen (and ladies, if any) on this site for civilized and constructive and honest criticism! Thanks again! I am allergic not only to the
'Transistor Radio'-like (euphemism) on the headphones, because it just next to your ears, but even more so to the audio-mob mentality. Period.
This reminds me soccer games in Europe. Let's assume that Tottenham
is playing against Manchaster Utd. You'd better not be among e.g. Manchester's fans if you're a Tottenham's fan. Why? They might kill you if
you say something against their team or just shout loudly: Go Tottenham
in their presence!

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
... some engineers/diy'ers and people who know about the insides of stuff have said things agaisnt this amp in the past...the criticisms are out there; one just has to go find it.

Homework:
Let's find those engineers and DIY-ers!
Shall they dare to speak out loudly like me? That's a tricky question, isn't it?

Adam

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #77 of 117
don't take that comment seriously; i heard it over the zhaolu thread; one person commented that the gilmore seems to hvae more $ in it's enclosure than in amp parts.... you guys are overblowing a failure on a decent little amp (even if it's not the best in its price category).

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #78 of 117
I would hope that members would be allowed to have negative opinions on some equipment, being that audio sound quality is such a subjective topic in the first place.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #79 of 117
Thanks to all open minded gentlemen even highly critical!
As I said, it's a pleasure to read your critical responses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well if you want we can keep discussing this matter via a couple of PMs more, as it is not appropriate for me to do it in public, but for your information he is not too far from the reality...and even using other headphones...

What could one say, ooops ... what could one PM.
By the way, the best time to PM is the PM time.

Adam
580smile.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #80 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
This reminds me soccer games in Europe. Let's assume that Tottenham
is playing against Manchaster Utd. You'd better not be among e.g. Manchester's fans if you're a Tottenham's fan. Why? They might kill you if
you say something against their team or just shout loudly: Go Tottenham
in their presence!

That's not what's happening here. And talk about hyperbole!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #81 of 117
Quote:

don't take that comment seriously; i heard it over the zhaolu thread; one person commented that the gilmore seems to hvae more $ in it's enclosure than in amp parts.... you guys are overblowing a failure on a decent little amp (even if it's not the best in its price category).

Of course someone used just another euphemism (shall I put a definition of euphemism here?).
Of course, the guy was joking a little, but just a little, I ain't tripping!

This thing looks beatiful:
1. Light
2. Small size
3. Beautiful blue light
4. Beautiful metallic look

... and unfortunatley the engineers of GL 'transformed' the (beautiful) metallic look
to the (not acceptable) metalic sound.

This metallic sound would not be acceptable even if I were listenig to Metallica!

See you on the Non-metallic
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #82 of 117
I go to berkeley, you don't need to tell me what a euphemisim is
tongue.gif

as i've said before; i dont' recall how it sounds from the meet so i cannot offer any subjective opinion on it....

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #83 of 117
Quote:

don't take that comment seriously; i heard it over the [size=xx-large]zhaolu [/size]thread; one person commented that the gilmore seems to hvae more $ in it's enclosure than in amp parts.... you guys are overblowing a failure on a decent little amp (even if it's not the best in its price category).

That's the problem right there.

Go with a Bada PH-12 then, it's the best amplifier in the world for $450.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #84 of 117
Boy, we got gpalmer, radrd and sovkiller all in this thread, it's like an old school reunion here! Hey guys!
eggosmile.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #85 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Boy, we got gpalmer, radrd and sovkiller all in this thread, it's like an old school reunion here! Hey guys!
eggosmile.gif

Hey Buddy! Always great to see you posting!

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #86 of 117
Quote:

(even if it's not the best in its price category).

That's a matter of opinion. Not for every piece of music/headphone combination, but I still prefer the GL to every other amp at its price point that I have heard.

Which is why I brought it along for the last bay area meet, resulting in this:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=16

Extended listening, and comparison with other similar equipment and the REAL thing (i.e. live music) are the keys to evaluating music gear IMHO.

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #87 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
That's a matter of opinion. Not for every piece of music/headphone combination, but I still prefer the GL to every other amp at its price point that I have heard.

Which is why I brought it along for the last bay area meet, resulting in this:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=16

Extended listening, and comparison with other similar equipment and the REAL thing (i.e. live music) are the keys to evaluating music gear IMHO.

now i wanna hear it again. my "best in price" thing was based on my opinion with the HD650 (classical music) against similarly priced amps at the saratoga meet in Feb...but it was a short listen to each on and probably not the best od conditions....i'll make sure to give it a good listen the next time okay?
now (everyone) stop quoting me
wink.gif
i don't want to continue posting on this thread.... i want to leave it up to the experienced.

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #88 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I thought the "transistor radio" comment was an exaggeration by the original poster or perhaps a poor characterization of what he was hearing. I agree that it doesn't make sense to say that the sources referenced sound like a transistor radio, but I also find it hard to believe that any source (other than a transistor radio) hooked up to a Gilmore Lite and the DT880's actually sounds like a transistor radio.

Dunno about anyone else, but to me the term 'transistor radio' connotes more than a "transistor" sound... it indicates a flat mono-ish AM radio sound from a single cheap speaker, which translates in my mind to "crap." This shows the uselessness of terms like this IMO.
Quote:

... and unfortunatley the engineers of GL 'transformed' the (beautiful) metallic look

This metallic sound would not be acceptable even if I were listenig to Metallica!

Quite honestly, I think your beef is with the DT880 rather than the GLite. Would it be correct to say that your DT880 is not even broken in yet? Also, you clearly seem to prefer a warmer sound, so what are you doing with a DT880 in the first place?
confused.gif
It has been repeated many times around here that the DT880 is (A) lean sounding, (B) has a dryish midrange, and (C) can sound bright or "metallic" up top (IMO only with the wrong gear and not properly broken in). Didn't you pay attention to the criticisms before buying, in order to make an informed choice?

I recommend you keep the GLite and ditch the DT880. Grab yourself a pair of HD650s and let someone else who prefers the sonic signature enjoy your 880s. If you do decide to keep the DT880, then get a tube amp for it since you seem to want some warmth.

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #89 of 117
Quote:

Of course someone used just another euphemism (shall I put a definition of euphemism here?).
Of course, the guy was joking a little, but just a little, I ain't tripping!

This thing looks beatiful:
1. Light
2. Small size
3. Beautiful blue light
4. Beautiful metallic look

See you on the Non-metallic
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

I'm starting to think you're on some crusade against the gilmore design. Will ya just sell the darn thing and move on? This thread is getting pointless and stupid. It seems all that you're complaining about is how everyone is attacking you for saying something taboo, yet in reality we're just attacking you because you are being stubborn and persistant. We've offered numerous ways to help you and numerous options, yet you aren't taking heed of ANY of them. Just move the heck on, i don't care how you do it.

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #90 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
This thread is getting pointless and stupid.

If you haven't noticed that is an underlying theme with his posts.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, you don't like how an amp sounds in your system so why not just sell and move along? On a semi-related note it would seem that maybe it wasn't the best idea ever to buy a transparent amp and then carp about the lack of warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back