Doing Flac justice on a budget
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xK1LLSW1TCHx127

New Head-Fier
First of all, is this even possible? All of my Flac files are Rock (Boston, Rolling stones, Dire Straits, Killswitch Engage). I've been looking at Grado Sr60i since it's probably the highest I could go right now thanks to college (saw them on OCN used for 60), but I think closed headphones would be much better for me since i don't want sound leaking in or out. Also, heard the bass on these is a little bit lacking. Headphones would go through a little bit of gaming (not competitive so movie-like sound is much better) and quite a bit of classical, dubstep and trance/house. This would be my first pair of headphones and all the reading I've done here has only made it harder to choose some cans. I'm nowhere near an audiophile but I do appreciate good sound, I'm the kinda guy  who'd take a friend's music,try to equalize it, lower the volume and tell my friend to enjoy and appreciate the sound instead of blasting it.

Been considering AKG k-240, Samson SR850, Audio Techinca m30, superlux 668b, Panasonic RPhtf600 and JVC Harx700 and the sr60i if found cheap. I'm really bad about keeping track of my IEMs so i think i'll stay away form those.

I'm in no hurry to buy, but thanks for all the help guys and gals, I realize it's probably a little annoying to get a million noobs like me looking for help but some of us have done as much testing and reading as possible and really need help making a smart choice  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
First of all, is this even possible? All of my Flac files are Rock (Boston, Rolling stones, Dire Straits, Killswitch Engage). I've been looking at Grado Sr60i since it's probably the highest I could go right now thanks to college (saw them on OCN used for 60), but I think closed headphones would be much better for me since i don't want sound leaking in or out. Also, heard the bass on these is a little bit lacking. Headphones would go through a little bit of gaming (not competitive so movie-like sound is much better) and quite a bit of classical, dubstep and trance/house. This would be my first pair of headphones and all the reading I've done here has only made it harder to choose some cans. I'm nowhere near an audiophile but I do appreciate good sound, I'm the kinda guy  who'd take a friend's music,try to equalize it, lower the volume and tell my friend to enjoy and appreciate the sound instead of blasting it.

Been considering AKG k-240, Samson SR850, Audio Techinca m30, superlux 668b, Panasonic RPhtf600 and JVC Harx700 and the sr60i if found cheap. I'm really bad about keeping track of my IEMs so i think i'll stay away form those.

I'm in no hurry to buy, but thanks for all the help guys and gals, I realize it's probably a little annoying to get a million noobs like me looking for help but some of us have done as much testing and reading as possible and really need help making a smart choice  
smily_headphones1.gif

More than disturbing others, you will probably feel uncomfortable listening to everyone surround you. Get Monoprice 8323 and your money will be saved

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
More than disturbing others, you will probably feel uncomfortable listening to everyone surround you. Get Monoprice 8323 and your money will be saved

I've bought two of the Monoprice 8323, they both suffer connection issues, inside the cup were the cable plugs in.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Would be helpful to know what source(s) the headphones are going to be plugged into?

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 5
It'd be powered by the onboard sound on my PC (realtek HD, I have the decent sounding codec running if i remember correctly) and a Galaxy S (wolfson audio chip that actually sounds really good for mobile audio, can get model numbers if necessary) Thanks for helping guys, this is really great thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back