Does Ultrasone S-Logic work?
Dec 7, 2010 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

astroid

1000+ Head-Fier
I love a wide soundstage , it may be artificial but the K501 are my ultimate cans for soundstage. I have a few quid spare and am thinking about trying some Ultrasones , the Zinos appeal (love or hate with them it seems) but i am struggling to understand how an offset driver can really create a 'revolutionary' soundstage?

So are they as effective as Ultrasone claim?

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 13
It works very well for me yes. Marketing is always marketing though of course. It´s up to yourself if you find it revolutionary.

As for wide soundstage what I like with the Ultrasones is that they as in pro 750/900/ED 8 are more deep then wide. I have only listened to closed variants and they don´t have the largest but most accurate soundstage of those I tried so far. One of the few headphones you really feel you can picture the arena in front of you and the closest to my 5.1 speakers.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 13
Do what I did and get the hfi-15g to try out the S-Logic. I fell in love with the 15g after that. Then picked up the zinos and have nothing but hate for them now since a stray hair got into the driver housing and its near impossible to remove the cushions to remove that one strand of hair. S-Logic worked for me, made it feel like my speakers were on and since the 15g is so light, they just kinda disappear.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I love a wide soundstage , it may be artificial but the K501 are my ultimate cans for soundstage. I have a few quid spare and am thinking about trying some Ultrasones , the Zinos appeal (love or hate with them it seems) but i am struggling to understand how an offset driver can really create a 'revolutionary' soundstage?

So are they as effective as Ultrasone claim?

It's really not that revolutionary but it does create a pretty good stereo image.

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 13
I found the S-Logic stage on the Pro650 very strange and unnatural, much moreso than people say about the K701 (which has an unnaturally wide soundstage). Something about the Ultrasone's sound characteristics just didn't jive with me, and it wasn't just the recessed mids and harsh treble, either. I would definitely try to get a demo before you make any purchases, as the polarization regarding Ultrasones is very real here (i.e. you will probably either love or hate the presentation).

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 13
YMMV. Some people on here were nuts about it (see the "There's something about Ultrasone" thread) and some people, such as myself, only found the soundstage to form a big circle, but in my head, though the deeper cupped ED8s seemed to fix this somewhat. Some people get good mileage by placing their headphones as far forward and down as possible.

If you want a wide soundstage, you either have to buy the HD-800s, one of the various Sony's with distant, angled drivers, get AKGK1000s and a big amp, get a good balanced rig* with the right headphones (maybe with those K501s) or get a Stax rig and a good source. All options are somewhat expensive.

*I say this because my rig produces a wide soundstage with headphones that nobody would say have such, but it's insanely expensive by normal standards, so it should!

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
YMMV. Some people on here were nuts about it (see the "There's something about Ultrasone" thread) and some people, such as myself, only found the soundstage to form a big circle, but in my head, though the deeper cupped ED8s seemed to fix this somewhat. Some people get good mileage by placing their headphones as far forward and down as possible.

If you want a wide soundstage, you either have to buy the HD-800s, one of the various Sony's with distant, angled drivers, get AKGK1000s and a big amp, get a good balanced rig* with the right headphones (maybe with those K501s) or get a Stax rig and a good source. All options are somewhat expensive.

*I say this because my rig produces a wide soundstage with headphones that nobody would say have such, but it's insanely expensive by normal standards, so it should!

Well the idea with the displaced drivers Ultrasone use is to NOT have to push it as much forward and down as possible to enable the outer ear.  suppose you speak generally about headphones with non angled/displaced drivers?

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 13
I agree with currawong's 2 font sentence. Imo what ultrasones do is replicate what would happen with stereo speakers in a room, it doesn't produce the same exact soundstage on a recording. To do that requires a really good setup with no weak links to compromise the echo detail that reveals recording soundstage, and different recordings have different soundstages.

But I do think s-logic does a great stereo speaker presentation, but since it tries to replicate stereo speakers it interferes with hearing inherent soundstage. Not a problem at all in my experience unless you are looking at $1000+ dac and amps, or you for some reason want to analyze the soundstage in recordings. Then I would recommend studio headphones often said to have small soundstages over ultrasones.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Well the idea with the displaced drivers Ultrasone use is to NOT have to push it as much forward and down as possible to enable the outer ear.  suppose you speak generally about headphones with non angled/displaced drivers?

Yes, sorry, I didn't write that well -- I meant with ordinary headphones.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 13
It's all very much HRTF dependent....SL+ being a more universal iteration of their SS technology than SL, as far as I can tell and IME
basshead.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #13 of 13
I think it dose, it has a fairly unnatural sound, as if everything is blooming out rather than just playing, I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back