Does UE In-ear Reference beat JH13 Pro and UE10 Pro in terms of accuracy?
Dec 18, 2010 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

googleli

Headphoneus Supremus
JH13 Pro is known for its naturalness and UE10 Pro for its flat response. Does UE In-ear Reference beat JH13 Pro and UE10 Pro in terms of accuracy? I currently own the UE18 Pro which is very good but on the fun side - just wondering which of JH13 Pro, ES5 and the UE Reference will be a better compliment. Many thanks. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 11
I can't speak for the others mentioned but I was able to demo both the ue18pro and the reference monitors. I picked the RM. But they had a very similar signature. If I were to spend money on another set of IEMs I'd get something that wasn't so close in sound signature. But that's just me.

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 11
In your review, you said that the UE 18s are both bass and treble heavy but somehow mine seem to be quite treble light, so I'm looking forward to your UE18s review. It seems like most UE 18s owners don't like to talk much about them, as if they are ashame of owning them. The problem with reviews of custom IEMs are a bit like watching master chef or cooking shows, there's no way one could really experience what the judges or the reviewers felt. I somehow feel maybe even with customs, the sound signature varies for different individuals. :cool:

some comparisons are made in this review:

http://www.pnosker.com/reviews/audio/897-ultimate-ears-reference-monitor-uerm-custom-in-ear-monitors-review

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Ashamed? I don't care if I stir up a fight, but I have to say that I favour my UE18 Pro much more than the Westone ES5 which recently comes into my possession. While ES5 has a very pronounced and spatial mid to mid high, when it comes to vocal I actually prefer the UE18 Pro much more. Darker, but with much better timbre and naunces. Westone ES5 is actually better with string instruments on classical, but when it comes to vocal, UE18 Pro has the upper hand. And when it comes to bass, the ES5 isn't even close. Not in terms of quantity, but quality. Sound isolation is about the only thing which the ES5 is better than the UE18 Pro - IMO.

I have heard a universal demo of the JH13 Pro and it doesn't impress me as much as the UE18 Pro still.  I may someday get either the JH13 or JH16, but I am confident that UE18 Pro will stand against them very well, if not better.

Quote:
In your review, you said that the UE 18s are both bass and treble heavy but somehow mine seem to be quite treble light, so I'm looking forward to your UE18s review. It seems like most UE 18s owners don't like to talk much about them, as if they are ashame of owning them. The problem with reviews of custom IEMs are a bit like watching master chef or cooking shows, there's no way one could really experience what the judges or the reviewers felt. I somehow feel maybe even with customs, the sound signature varies for different individuals.
cool.gif

Quote:
some comparisons are made in this review:

http://www.pnosker.com/reviews/audio/897-ultimate-ears-reference-monitor-uerm-custom-in-ear-monitors-review

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
JH13 Pro is known for its naturalness and UE10 Pro for its flat response. Does UE In-ear Reference beat JH13 Pro and UE10 Pro in terms of accuracy? I currently own the UE18 Pro which is very good but on the fun side - just wondering which of JH13 Pro, ES5 and the UE Reference will be a better compliment. Many thanks. 

From universal demos of both the JH13 and UERM, the latter strike me as more natural. I can only speak for acoustic instruments and vocals, since I listen mostly to classical/folk/jazz, but the JH13-D's timbre was ever so slightly off in my book, whereas the UERM-D are spot-on. Moreover, the JH13-D seemed less subtle in portraying delicate passages, whereas the UERM-D is more nuanced to my ears. Striktly referring to the demo versions though, I have no idea how close these are to the full customs.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
From universal demos of both the JH13 and UERM, the latter strike me as more natural. I can only speak for acoustic instruments and vocals, since I listen mostly to classical/folk/jazz, but the JH13-D's timbre was ever so slightly off in my book, whereas the UERM-D are spot-on. Moreover, the JH13-D seemed less subtle in portraying delicate passages, whereas the UERM-D is more nuanced to my ears. Striktly referring to the demo versions though, I have no idea how close these are to the full customs.

at the risk of waking this thread from vampiric slumber, you could, as a good customer of UE, ask when they're coming to town with a universal demo of their customs - I've tried a few when I pulled the trigger, and while it's been too long for me to write down my impressions, I found it pretty easy to tell them apart, so they're different enough for you to plunk down for a second set :wink:

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks. Unless the UERM really stands out, I think there is no need for me to get a third pair of customs in addition to my ES5 and 18 Pro. Is it worth getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back