Does J3 SQ meet your expectation?
Feb 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 24
i thought the sflo was much better than the j3 un-eq'd.   with eq, i think its close to being the same but there are some instances when im listening to whatever song that it just sounds.... weird.  if the sflo didnt have such a crappy UI and their CS/warranty service was better, id get another sflo.

edit: so i voted for so-so.

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #17 of 24

[size=medium]
Question! Important!

i have some flac files, downloaded, they are flac, large, almost huge files, but the bitrate is not variable as i am used to flacs.... are these new ones real flacs, or what?...... please, who knows i really need an answer
[/size]

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #18 of 24
The J3 barely satisfies.

From personal observations, I don't like the J3 because:
  • It's bright compared to any other portable player or sound card I've heard. Bright things give me headaches.
  • Even with an excellent amp the music lacks texture. Instrument separation is non-existent. My onboard sound card (from a P6T Deluxe motherboard) blows the J3 out of the water in these two areas, thought it has it's own problems so I try not to use the onboard card.. much.
  • When EQing, it's very difficult to boost anything under 80hz. You won't be hearing any rumbling bass, if you like that sort of thing. You could use Mach3Bass, but it makes the bass bloated and it spills into other frequencies.

I was hoping the J3 would be a good source for my home setup, boy was I wrong. I'm now desperately looking for a good DAC. It does alright for portable use however, thought SQ wise it's only marginally better than my ancient Sansa e260 with Rockbox on it.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
The J3 barely satisfies.

From personal observations, I don't like the J3 because:

• It's bright compared to any other portable player or sound card I've heard. Bright things give me headaches.
  • Even with an excellent amp the music lacks texture. Instrument separation is non-existent. My onboard sound card (from a P6T Deluxe motherboard) blows the J3 out of the water in these two areas, thought it has it's own problems so I try not to use the onboard card.. much.
  • When EQing, it's very difficult to boost anything under 80hz. You won't be hearing any rumbling bass, if you like that sort of thing. You could use Mach3Bass, but it makes the bass bloated and it spills into other frequencies.

I was hoping the J3 would be a good source for my home setup, boy was I wrong. I'm now desperately looking for a good DAC. It does alright for portable use however, thought SQ wise it's only marginally better than my ancient Sansa e260 with Rockbox on it.

Just comments.
1. I think it's neutral. Far from being "bright" and I'm no treble head.
2. You don't amp the Cowon. There is no line-out so don't be double amping. Separation is excellent IME.
3. Try using Mach bass in addition to BBE. Adjust mids accordingly.

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #20 of 24
I have to agree; it's a little bright, but that's what the EQ is for.

Bass remains tight for me when I use Mach3Bass, so I don't know what's the problem with strannik's... maybe you are just pairing it with the wrong headphones for the J3?

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #21 of 24
I just compared the Anedio D1 to my Cowon J3.  As far as I know the Anedio is a very neutral DAC. The Cowon sounded a bit brighter and more up front, but the difference was not huge. The inferior soundstage of a portable DAP vs. the soundstage of something like the Anedio may have been the reason.

I never use the Cowon flat, however...

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #22 of 24
The J3 doesn't meet my expectations, it SHATTERS them. With EQ = absolutely unrivalled. Without = at the very least as good as any other player. That's pretty much the truth. The extremely powerful and linear amplifier in combination with NO HISS WHATSOEVER makes this a dream to listen to. And as soon as I turn on BBE Headphone my mind is blown.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
The J3 doesn't meet my expectations, it SHATTERS them. With EQ = absolutely unrivalled. Without = at the very least as good as any other player. That's pretty much the truth. The extremely powerful and linear amplifier in combination with NO HISS WHATSOEVER makes this a dream to listen to. And as soon as I turn on BBE Headphone my mind is blown.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back