Does it get much better than the HD800?
May 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #166 of 357
Quote:
Perhaps you're right, but the ones I heard were at least 6 months old back in January, so they're older than that. Frankly, it's similar to my experience with older HD650s, dark to the point of being drab. I just can't call that natural, "real life" certainly doesn't sound like that when I walk around every day.
I heard them for an extended test on an all Cary setup; CD 303T, Xciter DAC, and HH-1. Not the best chain, not even for Cary, but the TH900s were quite impressive. MuppetFace, the person who started the thread you linked, has owned them for some time now and she agrees, they're quite special and hold a unique place in the top tier.

I have never heard a veiled pair of LCD-3s but based on other's descriptions, sounds like that pair had similar issues. But trust me, they can be so much more. I did own the Xciter DAC for a while and really loved it. The only 2 issues I had with that DAC was that there were no balanced outputs and with USB from my PC, there was always a low level hum. Thankfully my W4S DAC-2 fixed both. The problem I have with the TH900s is that (like the D7000s) act as poor closed headphones with regards to isolation and noise leakage. Otherwise I'd be more interested in them.

May 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #167 of 357
I have never heard a veiled pair of LCD-3s but based on other's descriptions, sounds like that pair had similar issues. But trust me, they can be so much more. I did own the Xciter DAC for a while and really loved it. The only 2 issues I had with that DAC was that there were no balanced outputs and with USB from my PC, there was always a low level hum. Thankfully my W4S DAC-2 fixed both. The problem I have with the TH900s is that (like the D7000s) act as poor closed headphones with regards to isolation and noise leakage. Otherwise I'd be more interested in them.

I can agree with you on isolation, they aren't very good there. However, leakage isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Either that or they're listening at volumes that no one should, at least not if they value their hearing.

May 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #168 of 357
Quote:
I can agree with you on isolation, they aren't very good there. However, leakage isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Either that or they're listening at volumes that no one should, at least not if they value their hearing.

All I know is that they (D7000s) failed the "wife leak test".
wink.gif

May 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #169 of 357
Yeah, leakage is marginally improved with the TH900s, though external isolation is still crappy for closed cans.

May 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #170 of 357
Quote:
Yeah, leakage is marginally improved with the TH900s, though external isolation is still crappy for closed cans.

I'm still going to hear them very soon. I have tomorrow off (not a holiday here in Canada) and was planning on going to a local audioshop that has them available. But as luck would have it, my 4 year old son came down with a fever this weekend. So it looks like instead I'll be playing superheros for the better part of the day. I'm still curious to give them a try. I've owned the D7000s twice now and like them (not loved) and their lack of isolation was my biggest issue with them.

May 28, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #171 of 357
May 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #173 of 357
Did you also sell your Ed8 Peter? I want to try the Sig Pro next.

May 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #174 of 357
May 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #175 of 357
Quote:
Did you also sell your Ed8 Peter? I want to try the Sig Pro next.

I did about a month or so ago. I picked up the W3000ANVs and preferred them (I didn't need 2 closed headphones). Isolation/leakage, they're actually a bit better than the already amazing Ed.8s. I've tried the Sig Pros locally and I did prefer the Ed.8s FWIW.
smile.gif

May 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #176 of 357
Waiting for you to hear the Fostex TH900.  You are doing all my research for me as i sit happy with my ED8's to see what is next the AT or Fostex....thanks for being a Guinea-pig 
wink_face.gif

May 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #177 of 357
Quote:
Waiting for you to hear the Fostex TH900.  You are doing all my research for me as i sit happy with my ED8's to see what is next the AT or Fostex....thanks for being a Guinea-pig 
wink_face.gif

No worries. Glad I could oblige. I should have a chance to hear the TH900s in a few weeks. But with that said, there is a very low chance I'll pick them up as they isolate/leak as poorly as the D7000s did. But we shall see.

May 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #179 of 357
Quote:
I donno, i think you need them to round off your list, better just knuckle under and pull the trigger.
very_evil_smiley.gif

LoL, we'll see, but I've got too many headphones as it is. If they're that impressive, something would have to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back