Does it get much better than the HD800?
May 14, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #137 of 357
Quote:
Quote:
I did not like the Lyr paired with hd800, t1, or really any headphone other than thunderpants and lcd2.

Ditto.  If you don't mind having multiple amps, the Lyr's worthwhile for its synergy with the LCD-2's, but it brings out absolutely nothing special about the HD800's.  As a person who owns all 4 items, I felt like I was in Bizzarro World when I read that 6moons article wherein he said that the Lyr had better synergy with the HD800's than the LCD-2's and that the Burson was better amp for the later.  That said, I don't personally know what a good amp would be for both the LCD-2's and the HD800's. Oddly enough, I like my Lehmann BCL with both the HD800's and the LCD-3's, though, but would cautiously turn the Lyr back on if I felt like using the 2's.

The Lyr upgrade tubes I ordered are in mail limbo somewhere, so I've only heard it with the stock configuration.

Yes, the LCD-2 is a good pairing with the Lyr. It can sound nice even with average tubes. The HD800 can also be made to sing by the Lyr, but tube selection is crucial. The HD800 highlights the differences between tubes in starker contrast than the LCD-2. The smearing of detail and lack of transparency in some tubes known to match well with the LCD-2 is striking through the HD800, and it's no surprise people have quickly written the Lyr off as a viable entry level amp for the HD800. My previous favourite tubes sound crap through the HD800 and if my experience was limited to that level of performance I guess I'd also be part of the chorus. The thing that has me going against the grain is how good the HD800 sounds when Amperex Bugle Boys are fired up.

May 14, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #139 of 357
Quote:
I did not like the Lyr paired with hd800, t1, or really any headphone other than thunderpants and lcd2.  I could never get the noise floor silent and it drove me nuts.  I recently sold my lyr for these reasons.

I felt the concerto handled my hd800 much better and did almost as good a job with the lcd2.  I'm a big fan of the concerto, seems to work well with every headphone I have ever thrown at it.  It must be the active balanced ground or something.

I have not heard the v200, but for the hd800 I'd prolly prefer it over the lyr based off what I've read about it.

No, it's just the low output impedance.

May 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #141 of 357
Quote:

Lol, I tried that one too.  Terrible.

Not all of Chesky's stuff is a hit - there are some pearlers though - the guy who sings 'Love and Happiness' and slow jazz crooner - Kenny Rankine.

Absolute reference quality and very involving and real to my ears.

May 24, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #142 of 357
I'm thinking about getting the HD800 and found this thread... the cable thing...
here is a thread on the topic that includes many double-blind tests.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths
yeah.. the result is generally interconnects don't make a difference and supprisingly(not) the power cord does. I personally can't hear the difference between different cables, but I can hear the occasional large votage swing. And please don't say that these are tests for speaker cable, or headphone cable is not interconnect, because speakers are more revealing than headphone and headphone cable is an interconnect. That being said... these findings are still to be taken with a grain of salt, even though I feel they are correct.

Anyway... saving up money during summer for HD800. I was thinking about the 007, but I started to feel that I'm losing the focus here, because it seems like the more I spend the more I focuses on the equipment instead of the music. So I'm sticking to the "cheaper" dynamic for now... Maybe I will step up to 009 (or whatever that fits my preference) when that 10K doesn't mean anything to me, so I can truely enjoy the music with it instead of seeing it as a status symbol in the HIFI community and kid myself about the sound quality.

May 24, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #143 of 357
rolleyes.gif

May 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #146 of 357
Quote:
Why? What is it better at?

Yes I know the HD800 had better details/separation/soundstage, but the MS Pro sounds very musical to me for when I just want to enjoy the music instead of listening to every little detail. I sorta get bored with the balanced sound as well from time to time having the DT880 and JH13 pro. It's a purely preference thing. I also like the fact I don't have to buy a super powerful amplifier to power MS Pro properly, unlike the HD800.

But each to their own, I am sure there are more people out there who would enjoy the balanced HD800 sound than the MS Pro perfectly imperfect sound.

May 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #148 of 357
Quote:
People find Beats very musical too.

Isn't that drawing a pretty long bow there comparing the Beats line-up to the MS-Pro?

Sure both may be heavily coloured by HD800 standards but in terms of overall clarity and detail retrieval - that's hardly a fair comparison.

May 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #150 of 357
 This hypothesis for the HD800 being the 'be and end all' for Hi-Fi reproduction against all others will never cease on Head-Fi 
wink.gif

However, let's take a step back and look at a parallel from the speaker world, if this was indeed absolutely true on all counts
 then the world of 2 channel Hi-Fi would probably not exist, there would simply be no need.

Something like this below might explain why:-

MK Sound - More award winning Hollywood soundtracks have been mastered on these babies than just about anything else out there in monitor land,
 George Lucas mixed all all of the Indiana and Star Wars classic flicks using these, the backing crew with James Horner on the Titanic movie soundtrack
 also insisted on using these. Other accolades include:-

* 2006 - King Kong 
(Best Sound Mix + Best Sound Editing)

* 2004 - The Incredibles 
(Best Sound Editing)

* 2003 - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King 
(Best Sound Mix)

* 2002 – Chicago 
(Best Sound Mix)

* 2002 – Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 
(Best Sound Editing)

* 2001 – Black Hawk Down 
(Best Sound Mix)

* 2001 – Pearl Harbor 
(Best Sound Editing) 

What am I getting at? - This is the HD800 - back to MK Sound, would these indeed be the dream speaker of choice for most of us? Probably not.

I've heard them and whilst they give me every streak of detail and speed - they're still just a monitor at the end of the day, I could not see myself
pulling up a brandy on the couch with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back