Does it get much better than the HD800?
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #346 of 357
  Compared to what 
biggrin.gif

BTW I'm really interested in 007 mki and how it compare to HD800? (btw if this is off topic pm?)  

I just never found the HD800 to be bright or thin which are the biggest complaints of the HD800. I tried the Anax mod around a year ago and didn't like it as much. If the serial number is to believe it could be that mine is a real low one (under 500).

As far as the 007 MK1 I would try to see if you can hear it at a mini meet or when it's not too loud (usually when it begins) at a larger meet as the SR007 MK1 could make an appearance there. I have mine paired with a Buffalo III and SRM717. In terms of sound signature if the HD800 was on one side and the LCD2 on the other the SR007 would be in the middle but leaning slightly towards the LCD2 but the bass is not huge in quantity. I think of it as a HD800 with a bit less emphasis on the treble and a slight warmth to the sound and smaller stage. I also find the SR007 to be on a higher level than the HD800 but not by a large amount.

Also keep in mind I'm not driving it to the fullest but a BHSE is a very large amp and out of my price range and a KGSSHV is hard to get unless you know how to DIY (which I don't and many DIY builders won't touch Stax) or if you can find them in the FS which is rare and they get snatched up quick. The SR007 pretty much cured my upgraditis as the only real headphone I would even consider is the SR009 but I'm not paying the asking price for it. Sorry I'm rambling a bit here.

It's been years since I heard the HD600 but it *might* be an upgraded HD600 so would need to hear the HD600 again to quantify this. If you want to PM this further feel free to do so.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #347 of 357
No idea about how the HD800 stock sounds, mine is actually hardwired with StefanAudioArt's Voice cable and I never heard it in another way. On my system (T+A MP 3000 HV --> B52/Genalex Gold Lion/Bendix 6900 --> HD800 balanced) it displays an unbelievable extension without the slighest trace of grain or brightness (if the recording is ok, of course). It is just perfet for my musical preferences (pretty much 99% orchestral music). The big upgrade this year was switching from my good old Marantz SA-7S1 to the T+A source and...wow! I've actually never tried a Stax system, I hope I'll be able to listen to one in the future, altough I doubt I'll start spending there considering how much I already spent here. :) But I doubt it can get that much better than this.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #348 of 357
The consensus seems to be: wait until there are headphones between the LCD-2 and HD-800 but aren't quite the LCD-3. 

Maybe Audeze's next pair will be the ones we're all looking for. 

EDIT: I haven't been on here for a while, I'll go read the thread about the LCD-X or whatever they are called. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #349 of 357
Firstly an apology for 'jumping in on an old, (was a bit surprised it had actually 'stopped' as to the title), but hving read the entire thread I notice the, (obviously correct) comment as to related componentry to enable the HD800 to perform at it's best.
What headphone amps would you consider?
How would these 'hold up' under your criteria for a preference, (I mention in no particular order):
Violectric 200
Violectric 220
Violectric 281

Auralic Tauris ll

GSX ll

Cavalli Lau
Thanks,
John H

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #350 of 357
Evening my fellow quality sound appreciators.

Have any of you heard of this?

I think this can make the HD 800 experience that much better, especially if people are complaining about the bass being too thin at times. It's called a SUBPAC. I just discovered it today at my work. Very impressed. Represents low end bass frequencies very accurately. It's like having 2 subs strapped to your back. The concept is wild.

Here is the web page.

http://thesubpac.com/order/subpac-s1/

Love to hear what you guys think. It won't screw with your sources that you choose to pair it with. It's a simple line in/out connection. :wink:

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #351 of 357
I have used sennheiser hd800 , lcd3 classic , lcd x - using  alo studio six /decware csp3 preamp 
i have used sennheiser hd600 and hd650 on a singlepower mpx3 
i have used grado HP2 on a melos sha 1 amp 
used HE-6 hifiman on a sophia el34 tube amp and odyssey stratos extreme amp

i have not heard electrostats /stax 

for me imo the best pair of cans i used is the hifiman he-6
second will be the hd800 
thrid goes to the audeze lcd3 and lcdx

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #352 of 357
I, too, just read the entire thread.  I have the HD800 paired with a Woo Audio WA5-LE.  I have seriously enjoyed these headphones in this rig.  I've long said the HD800 is about as good as it gets, provided the amplification is proper (and that translates to expensive).

However, I got to listen to 2 headphones this year that changed my opinion.  

The first was the Stax 009 paired with the Blue Hawaii.  It was such a clear cut above my rig, I gotta tip my hat to Stax.  I'm not buying, it's just too much for me to spend, but there was no doubt this headphone is a cut above my HD800 with even the best amps.  I haven't heard the 009 with any other amp, but with that pairing, I didn't want to take them off-- like ever.

The second was a surprise-- my own HD800 paired with the GS-X mkII.  It was a fraction below the Stax sound, to my ear, but it was a narrow fraction.  Wired balanced, that combo brought out bass I'd yet to hear on my Woo rig, and retained all of the clarity, soundstage, and dynamics I currently enjoy.  It's by far the best pairing I've heard for the HD800, a clear cut above even the Liquid Fire.  

I've yet to hear a rig with any other headphone (including the LCDs and HE-6) that can beat the 009 or the HD800 with the right amp.  

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #353 of 357
I would love to hear a Stax rig, but I am almost afraid to. 
My HD800/CSP3 rig sounds so good I don't want to spoil it with a Stax rig renting space in my head. :)

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #355 of 357

The first was the Stax 009 paired with the Blue Hawaii.  It was such a clear cut above my rig, I gotta tip my hat to Stax.  I'm not buying, it's just too much for me to spend, but there was no doubt this headphone is a cut above my HD800 with even the best amps.  I haven't heard the 009 with any other amp, but with that pairing, I didn't want to take them off-- like ever.  

This is how I feel too, and I've heard the HD 800 + GS-X Mk2 combo (and I much prefer the HD 800 with the Woo WA22 opposed to the GS-X Mk2).  The SR-009 is so much more natural and realistic sounding than any dynamic or planar, to my ears.  Even the SR-007 is a cut above any non-electrostat in my opinion.  

Nov 28, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #356 of 357
The consensus seems to be: wait until there are headphones between the LCD-2 and HD-800 but aren't quite the LCD-3. 

Maybe Audeze's next pair will be the ones we're all looking for. 

EDIT: I haven't been on here for a while, I'll go read the thread about the LCD-X or whatever they are called. 

well hifiman's new he560 seems to fits description of a blend of hd800+lcd2 but not lcd3 hahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back