Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Mar 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #844 of 1,409

Quote:
Let us know.  I bet it's incredible!

Having dabbled with pretty much just headphones for nearly 11 months and now completely back to speakers it's like finding freedom again. As if I was in a wheel chair for 11 months and now I can walk again!  Can't wait for the amp.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #845 of 1,409
Mar 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #848 of 1,409

Quote:
You can admit you enjoyed headphones a little bit 
tongue.gif

Well the LCD-2/V200 rig sounded great, but I guess in the end I just really dislike headphones, enough not to use them again.   A part of me has always resented using them.   The turning point of truth for me was when I ordered up a 3K headphone amp after which I realized I had gone completely insane, lost all perspective and was chasing my tail.  Then as fate would have it MWilson (someone has to take the fall here! 
very_evil_smiley.gif
)  sent me a pair of tube mono block amps and a tube pre amp and there was simply no turning back.  

Thank heavens though that when all the dust settled the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2  was the cornerstone of the rig and like a beacon it guided me back home.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #850 of 1,409
To add my two cents... the DAC-2 is unbelievably awesome at this price.  It just walked all over all the DACs in my profile and achieved that high resolution, high energy sound while being smooth and grain free.  Its USB implementation is also quite friendly and crash proof.  I originally had the DAC-1 but its USB, and frankly its could have been the unit, was less integrated than the DAC-2s.

Beyond happy, should definitely be on someone's short list if they are looking in the 1K+ range.  I would say that some have reported that as a preamp its not going to compete with similar priced preamps.  But then they, having no digital inputs, make terrible DACs at any price :p

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #851 of 1,409

Quote:
To add my two cents... the DAC-2 is unbelievably awesome at this price.  It just walked all over all the DACs in my profile and achieved that high resolution, high energy sound while being smooth and grain free.  Its USB implementation is also quite friendly and crash proof.  I originally had the DAC-1 but its USB, and frankly its could have been the unit, was less integrated than the DAC-2s.

Beyond happy, should definitely be on someone's short list if they are looking in the 1K+ range.  I would say that some have reported that as a preamp its not going to compete with similar priced preamps.  But then they, having no digital inputs, make terrible DACs at any price :p

I just added the W4S ST-500 to pair with the W4S DAC-2.  Very nice combo.  I use the 12V trigger from the DAC-2 to put the ST-500 into idle mode when turning the DAC-2 with the remote.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #852 of 1,409
Perhaps this isn't the right place to ask, but does anyone know if it is possible to fix the latency with the DAC-2 when you connect a Macbook Pro via USB and watch a video or movie using VLC or similar app.  I have found that there is a significant delay which makes watching Youtube videos or movies via VLC unwatchable if I want to listen through my Hi-Fi rig via DAC-2.  Audio and video are out of sync by a second or two, but work fine if I switch back to the MBP's internal speakers.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #853 of 1,409
Trying to decide between this and the Audiolab MDAC. the DAC2 is almost twice the price though, and i prefer the looks of the MDAC and its gorgeous screen. If only i didnt have to wait till the end of may for them to be in-stock, i might cave and just get a DAC2.... Im sure i would be happy either way, but i know my wallet would be alot happier with a mdac.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #854 of 1,409
Again.  I want to paint my W4S DAC2 case RED at some point.  Just like this Oracle Dac.  I think it would look delicious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back