Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Jan 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #721 of 1,409

I've got the silver.  It is nice looking too.  I had a Silver Woo WA22 originally with it and looked great.  Now I have the fabulous Cavalli Liquid Fire which is Black so...........I want my case painted Bright Red to match the LF volume knob!!  Go under my profile and I have some pictures of the LF w/the DAC2.
Quote:
I wonder ... did anyone buy the silver color? Looks good or bad?

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #722 of 1,409
Thanks Icenine, I'm going for the silver one as well then, was worried it wasn't good looking and I would have to take a black one. I might end up with three pieces: the Dac2, M-Int and Music Server.
Really nice photo's, I remember seeing that photo around, thought it was a publicity photo of Cavalli. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #723 of 1,409
Does anyone know if the USB input includes any type of isolation circuit - galvanic, transformer, etc?

I can't seem to find any mention of this in the W4S manual/webpage or in reviews of the DAC2...

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #726 of 1,409
AppleheadMay, they say so:

Quote:
Utilizing two independent ICEpower™ modules, the mINT is capable of outputting 100wpc into 8 ohms and will drive the majority of speakers on the market with ease.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/612512

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #728 of 1,409
One small thing bothering me - Is there a way to power up the DAC-2 into the 'powered on' position.  Currently, when I flip the rear power switch on, the DAC-2 powers up then goes into muted standby.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #730 of 1,409

Quote:
One small thing bothering me - Is there a way to power up the DAC-2 into the 'powered on' position.  Currently, when I flip the rear power switch on, the DAC-2 powers up then goes into muted standby.

Not that I know of, you have to hit the power button on the front after you flip on the rear power switch.
I think this measure is taken so that one doesn't inadvertently blow his ear drums out when powering up the source, perhaps.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #731 of 1,409

Quote:
What do you mean by muted standby?  does the front panel say "Mute" after you turn it on?

After a hardwire (rear panel) power on, the front panel blinks on then off, remains unlit and the signal is muted until you press the front panel button.  I refer to this as standby, the signal is muted in standby.  With everything else I like about the DAC-2, this is the one item I think falls flat and is not intuitive from a usability perspective.  It's like turning on a light switch and then having to press a button to get the light to stay on.  The front panel standby / on button is a good idea and useful for putting the DAC-2 into and out of standby, but when I turn the hardwire power on at the rear initially, I expect the unit to come on and stay on.  After all, I am powering on because I want to use it.  So I imagine this is just something set in the boot sequence of the firmware.  It would be great to have the option of setting the power on state, and this is something I am going to suggest to W4S.

Quote:

Not that I know of, you have to hit the power button on the front after you flip on the rear power switch.
I think this measure is taken so that one doesn't inadvertently blow his ear drums out when powering up the source, perhaps.

Thanks.  :)  I tried to find a setup menu preference for it but came to the same conclusion.  However, I don't feel this was done intentionally to prevent a loud source.  There is no way to adjust the volume while the front panel is off, nor select the input while the W4S is off at the front panel.  Once you select the input with the remote from the front panel standby mode, the DAC-2 becomes "un-muted."  So the same 'loud source'  issue would potentially exist whether there is 1 or 10 power on buttons.  Also, when I set COAX to 'variable'  (I typically run it in 'fixed' mode), the DAC-2 does not remember the last volume level set after a hardwire power off/on, and defaults to "0" so the loud source issue would be moot in this scenario.  I suspect this was just a decision made upon other criteria, hopefully not an oversight.  My best guess is that during testing, W4S simulated a power outage where the rear panel is on, power is lost at the AC receptacle and then is restored.  Perhaps having the DAC-2 remain on after an outage was deemed worse than having to initailly power on twice.

For me it is a nuisance since I always hardwire power off and on.  It would be great to have a user-selectable preference for the initial power on state.  

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #732 of 1,409

Quote:
The front panel blinks on then off, remains unlit and the signal is muted until you press the front panel button.  It's like turning on a light switch and then having to press a button to get the light to stay on.  With everything else I like about the DAC-2, this is the one item I think falls flat and is not intuitive from a usability perspective.  The front panel standby / on button is a good idea, but when I turn the hardwire power on at the rear initially, I expect the unit to come on and stay on.  So this is just something set in the boot sequence of the firmware.  It would be great to have the option of setting the power on state, and this is something I am going to suggest to W4S.

For me it is a nuisance since I always hardwire power off and on.  It would be great to have a user-selectable preference for the initial power on state.  

i just simply leave the main power on all the time and use the front panel "power" button to turn it "on" and "off".

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #733 of 1,409
I also leave the rear power switch on all the time; but after initially setting the unit up, I haven't touched the front panel since.  I turn it on and off with the remote.  I don't adjust the volume, and as I listen, the display shows me when sampling frequencies change.  Quite convenient.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #734 of 1,409
I think that the front panel "On" button puts the unit into a kind of warm standby as evidenced by the chassis temperature, which is slightly warm to the touch. The rear On/Off button controls the AC to the unit and is meant to be left in the "on" position. On my DAC, there is an internal green LED toward the back that remains lit unless the power switch on the rear panel is "off."  You should be able to see the LED through the slits on the side of the unit. 

Regardless, there is no harm always leaving it powered on, and mine is on 100% of the time. (And I like the soft blue glow 
wink.gif
)

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #735 of 1,409

At least for the moment I consider the Dac2 to be the best purchase I’ve made and in particular appreciate the plethora of inputs.  However, I haven’t quite decided whether I consider this thread more informative or more corrupting.  I have learned a tremendous amount from the considered, and differing opinions of people I’ve come to respect.  But on the flip side there’s the corruption.  

With the Venom 3 held in such high regard by many of those who’ve contributed to this thread, I thought, "What the hell, why not give it a shot?"  I was frankly amazed that, real or not, I could hear a marked difference.  Which needless to say led to, well if I’m getting Decware’s silver interconnects with the amps, why not try a Signal silver reference coax from the Marantz to the Dac2?  And that may lead to begging on the street in order to afford Ramen.  

The path to an emptier wallet became steeper when I A/B’d a couple CDs using the Signal coax against the flac files from my computer over toslink.  My impression (real or imagined) was the sound from my computer was veiled, a touch warm, a bit less detailed compared to the CD.  Excellent mind, but not the same, and I preferred the sound from the Marantz.  You can see where this is heading.  Ordered Signal RCA interconnects for the analog out of the Marantz to connect to the HT.  At which point it was like why not give a Cardas clear usb a shot?  

The second set of Signals won’t arrive until this weekend, but the Cardas arrived Wednesday.   I added it in, leaving the toslink in place.  Real or imagined the result was the same as with the Signal cable.  With it  I’m not hearing much if any difference between the CD over the Signal and flac over the Cardas.  However, I also A/B’d toslink vs USB, and it confirmed, for me, there’s is a difference.  Though obviously not so extreme, it’s not unlike the toslink is LCD-2 and the Cardas is HD800.  I do hear some harshness in the treble with the HD800s on some tracks using the Cardas, but I’ll see if the either the cable or my ears adjust over time. 
 A plus is it also makes me think there’s hope for the LCD 2s.*  The difference for the LCD-2s was all positive, at least a bit more of everything I feel they’re lacking.  At least I can now listen to them for more than 45 minutes without feeling like I’m punishing myself.

Much as I would like to curse all of you, I really think I owe you thanks.  Just for the record, NO I’m not buying the Audeophilleo2 (at least not yet); I’m too busy trying to talk myself out of calling Decware and upgrading the interconnects to the Xhadow Precision RCA jacks.   

*I like detail, instrument separation, clarity, and sound stage.  I’ve found, so far, the LCD-2 (r.2) to be lacking in detail, a bit too much bass, too “warm”, and compared to the HD800 I don’t even need to mention the sound stage.  Obviously this is just my preference on what I like to hear.  However the Cardas seems to refine the bass and extend and clarify the treble, and I think there’s more detail.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back