Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Jul 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #1,338 of 1,409
It was a good upgrade. (Cheap too!) This DAC has become one of my al time favorite pieces of Audio gear.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #1,339 of 1,409
Back in January, I bought a 1tb SSD and had them swap it out for the stock HHD in my W4S Music Server. I have my components right next to my listing station, and could hear the HHD spooling up and down when accessing data. Very annoying during, very quite passages while listening to music. Now everything is silent! As it should be. Nice to see that is now a option listed on their site. I highly recommend an SSD if you have their music server and you sit close to it.

I was looking at the clock upgrade. Nice to see that it is reasonably priced. Not sure how much difference it would make to me. As the sound I have now from my system is just plain entrancing. Admittedly, not counting just the W4S components I have in my home system. I just don't think I would hear that much difference if any. The main game changer in my system it the Bakoon HPA-21 amp. It was the final piece for me as far as an end game rig. I was very surprised by this, but the sound is just that good. I have been at this a long time, and it's nice to see the new gear coming out and and thinking to myself, I just don't know how it could make my music sound any better than what I have now. Very nice feeling indeed! YMMV! But then again, this hobby is about trying different components. As least as far as your wallet will let you!

Cheers!

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,341 of 1,409
My DAC2 started out as the original DAC2 then got all the upgrades to the full DSDse version with Femto. Each addition was a definite upgrade from before. They do a nice job of keeping owners in the game should you choose to follow the upgrade path.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #1,342 of 1,409
Has anyone heard both DAC2 and Audiolab M-DAC? How do they compare?
I am contemplating to buy either of these, DAC2 that I am getting is a used gear, still more expensive than a new M-DAC. 
DAC2 is 110v version so I would need a 220v to 110v converter. M-DAC is 220v. Not sure how much it affects the sound quality. 

I heard M-DAC it was very detailed and has very good imaging but I found it slightly clinical sounding.
May the top end edginess was because the DAC was not broken in sufficiently. 

I have not heard DAC2 so I am very confused which one to go for. 
Any suggestions on how they perform against each other? 

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #1,343 of 1,409
  Has anyone heard both DAC2 and Audiolab M-DAC? How do they compare?
I am contemplating to buy either of these, DAC2 that I am getting is a used gear, still more expensive than a new M-DAC. 
DAC2 is 110v version so I would need a 220v to 110v converter. M-DAC is 220v. Not sure how much it affects the sound quality. 

I heard M-DAC it was very detailed and has very good imaging but I found it slightly clinical sounding.
May the top end edginess was because the DAC was not broken in sufficiently. 

I have not heard DAC2 so I am very confused which one to go for. 
Any suggestions on how they perform against each other? 

I have not heard the M-DAC so I cannot help. I am completely satisfied with my DAC2. I have seen the M-DAC at AXPONA and it is a great looking piece. The reviews are solid for it too. I cannot comment on its sonic signature myself.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #1,344 of 1,409
Thank you longbowbbs
I would wait to see opinion from anyone who have heard both.  
happy_face1.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #1,345 of 1,409
I love the look of the M-Dac...Very cool!

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,346 of 1,409
I have the North Star Dac 192 but wonder if it would be a large upgrade to go with the DAC-2. I think I could get rid of the analog preamp that I have not since I never play my vinyl now. How does it do as a preamp and DAC.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #1,347 of 1,409
The DAC2 is a solid pre-amp. It does offer both SE and XLR balanced to the amp. You have a 65 step volume control. A dedicated pre-amp will outperform, but you will need a good to best the DAC2.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,348 of 1,409
Does anyone here use the original (not upgraded) DAC 2 with any kind of a Mac running Yosemite?  I'm wondering if the DAC-2 driver for Mavericks will still work with Yosemite, or will I need to wait for an updated driver before upgrading my Mac Mini to Yosemite?

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,349 of 1,409
Well, I answered my own question.  I cloned my HD first, just in case, then installed Yosemite and updated everything, included iTunes.  The W4S DAC2 driver works fine.  As a matter of fact, I didn't have to restart or reset anything.

iTunes 12, the DAC-2, Audirvana 1.5, etc., all working as they should.

Perhaps this will help anyone with similar gear.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,350 of 1,409
  The DAC2 is a solid pre-amp. It does offer both SE and XLR balanced to the amp. You have a 65 step volume control. A dedicated pre-amp will outperform, but you will need a good to best the DAC2.

I drive my Genelecs with the DAC2.  Sounds terrific.  I haven't done any upgrading on it.  I'm happy with what I have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back