Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
May 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,096 of 1,409
Off Ramp with a PS audio HDMI cable.  

What you think "The Great Silent One"?

I see many using this DAC with tube amps.  Is it because it may be to revealing or to analytical for SS amps?

May 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,097 of 1,409
Quote:
Quote:
I am right there with you. Interesting to see how the SE can compare to say the NAD51 or the PSAudio PW2 (Since the street price is similar). Did they get the USB updated to a level that is respected by the community.

Meanwhile, I still am very happy with my DAC-2...
biggrin.gif

What input do you use?  Can you give me a few impressions? 
L3000.gif

I primarily use the USB. I have used optical. I do not have any other type of output to the DAC to try. Compared to my previous Cambridge DMPlus, it has a decidedly better low end slam. Better soundstage positioning and there is more substance to the music. I have not listened to many DAC's as I am somewhat remote, but this is the best one I have heard so far.

May 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,098 of 1,409
Quote:
Off Ramp with a PS audio HDMI cable.  

What you think "The Great Silent One"?

I think I'm coming over with food/drink. 
biggrin.gif

I see many using this DAC with tube amps.  Is it because it may be to revealing or to analytical for SS amps?

Not sure - I am as surprised by this observation as you are.

May 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,099 of 1,409
W4S already offers great value for the buck. And I went to their site and bought "B"-stock to boot! 
wink.gif
 Still got change left in my pocket...

May 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,100 of 1,409
So, I got my DAC-2, I'm sorry DAC-2 DSD, back today.  It took exactly one week, including 2 days for transport (round trip).  I got a new manual and new stickers on the back indicating it's a DSD model now.  I very much got that "unboxing" experience all over again.

I've been so busy listening to Random Access Memories on vinyl I haven't had time to download any DSD's yet.  Maybe tonight.  So glad it's back though.  I hooked it up and listened to a few songs @ 44k and one @ 96k: it's such a nice piece of equipment.  Wonderful mate to my Decware.

May 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,103 of 1,409
opr8r, are you using USB and did you notice any difference from the upgrade?

May 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,107 of 1,409
Yes, I upgraded to DSD.  I am using USB, but it's hard to say if I can hear a difference.  I've been listening to a difference source for a week so I can't very well remember what it sounded like before.  It does sound good though.  I could be wrong, but I think I hear a slightly more airy soundstage.

But yeah, I'll be doing a lot more stuff with it tonight.

May 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,108 of 1,409
May 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,109 of 1,409
In my case, I have an early edition DAC-1. Though spec'd to DAC-2 numbers, for DSD love, I'd have to buy a new unit. This isn't a negative by any means, considering the huge performance gains along with the savings I already encountered.

Starting from scratch like a completely new buyer, it's just a matter of staying with the Boys or shopping elsewhere. 

May 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,110 of 1,409
Quote:
In my case, I have an early edition DAC-1. Though spec'd to DAC-2 numbers, for DSD love, I'd have to buy a new unit. This isn't a negative by any means, considering the huge performance gains along with the savings I already encountered.

Starting from scratch like a completely new buyer, it's just a matter of staying with the Boys or shopping elsewhere. 

at $2499, you start to enter a different tier...I would assume it deserves the price point with the better components and specs. Just starting to get pricey..
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back