Does anyone have the iPhone LOD pinout?
Apr 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #46 of 259
For those who have made one already:

What happens when you get a call? Where does the audio get routed to? I'm curious because I want to use my iPhone in my car, and my headunit has an aux input, and I'd prefer to get a line out signal as opposed to using the shure adapter i've been using. It's kind of important for me because of the fact that you can't drive w/o a using hands free setup in California very soon.

My other option is to get the 2008 model of my head unit because it has bluetooth and iPod connectivity, so I can use hands free calling, and get a line out signal. But then I'd have to find someone to buy my head unit(which I'm very happy with), and then fork up more money for the new one. Thanks for the input.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #47 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by eldwar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I'm also a bit unclear about this, but do you have to set the phone in flightmode? Sounds very unpractical to me... Just bought myself some d770's and a pa2v2, and waiting for them to arrive, but if I understand you correctly, i don't know how much i'll use them with the iphone...

i'm having pa2v2 and use it with iphone. I must turn on the airplane mode coz the EM radiation sounds unbearable and it occurs every every minute or so. to me airplane message is a plus.

May 4, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #48 of 259
Don't know if it'll work yet but as a tip for you guys, can't you just use two wires for the ground (One connected to pin 1/2 and one connected to pin 11) instead of making a jumper, then solder both ground wires to the ground pin on the 3.5mm male side?

May 4, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #49 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if it'll work yet but as a tip for you guys, can't you just use two wires for the ground (One connected to pin 1/2 and one connected to pin 11) instead of making a jumper, then solder both ground wires to the ground pin on the 3.5mm male side?

No reason it shouldn't work.

May 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #50 of 259
So I had this Monster iPod Car Charger I got through work (gratis) a while ago and have been using it to charge the iPhone. It does give you the "airplane" message every so often, but you can tap 'no' and there aren't really any problems. I noticed it had a mini jack, so I figured it was line-out....I tried it out with my Tommie and it worked. There are a couple of caveats though...the volume seems to fluctuate depending on which album you're on, and you can not use the regular volume control to change it. Also, the EQ in the iPod Options Menu still is active and I am having trouble finding a good fit...so far "flat" is the best option.
Question: Can I cut off the cable with the car adapter on it if I just want to use it as a LOD? Photo below:
2518511715_af9f8a1425_m.jpg

High rez here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/...3ff31415_o.jpg
excuse my messy desk.

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #51 of 259
*beating dead horse*

I jumpered 11 to 15 and I get sound to my PIMETA. I get the airplane message when I do this, and the iPhone tells me, "This accessory is not made to with with iPhone" and asks if I want to turn on airplane mode. I tried the 1K resistor from 21 to GND, but the same message popped up. For the record, there is continuity between all three ground locations: pins 1/2, 15/16 and 29/30. This detail signifies that one can connect pin 11 to any of these locations to the same effect. I connected a line out dock with the 30 pins into the iPhone dock's rear entry, and I couldn't find any the resistance between 11 and GND that others have reported. Perhaps you all can clue me in.

Testing the iPhone with the "accessory" connected, it appears that the music is paused when you take a call. Also, taking out the LOD with music playing will also pause it, another difference between the iPhone and iPod lines. You won't hear the phone call through the line out, so you will be removing the headphones to take a call. I didn't hear any of the interference that was mentioned, but I wasn't holding my phone right up against the amp.

I hope that clears things up for the confused.

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #52 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. Thanks for the work, MrJoshua. Now we just need to spread this over the interweb, since it seems like no one knows how to get a line out signal from the iPhone. And to make things clear, pins 1 and 2 are connected on the iPod board, so there isn't any need to solder then together in your connector. For that matter, you could just use pins 15 and 16 (both GND) since they're closer. Thanks for sharing.

Just bump into this thread cos I have to make a new LOD for my friend's iPhone.

According to your post, is it correct that I should use:

Pin 3,4 for L,R audio signal.
Pin 15 and 16 tied together for G ?

Does anyone make an iPhone LOD without using any resistors?

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #53 of 259
Hi Thuan Tran,

Use 2, 3 and 4 for the signal and ground, just like a normal dock, then use a tiny short piece of wire soldered from pin 11 to pin 15.

Pins 1,2,15,16,29 and 30 are all "ground", they are all connected to the same trace inside the ipod/iphone, so you can use any of them for ground.

You can use the same pin (1,2,15,16,29 or 30) for audio ground and to connect to pin 11, or different pins, it doesn't matter as they are all connected anyway.

You must connect one of them to pin 11 though for an iphone/touch LOD to work, it's just easiest to use pin 15 as it's closest to pin 11.

You don't need to use any resistors.

Hope that makes it clear!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #55 of 259
noob warning apologies if this is not the right place for this post.

i'd like to wire my 3G iphone to my car and accomplish a few things.

Charging (i have a usb car charger that works already)
Line out audio
Remote control
No airplane mode warning

i've been looking through this thread and am trying to figure it out but can't put all the pieces together from the forum

thanks!

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #60 of 259
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ip...-photo-359077/

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the process of making a stocked iPhone line out dock cable and will post photos and details here in this thread. All of my ipod LOD cables will NOT work with a iPhone because the iPhone requires that a few pins be activated and up until now I have not stocked any iPhone cables ready for sale. IMPORTANT The new 2G iTouch with built in speakers are much like the iPhone. A normal iPod LOD will not work with a 2Gen iTouch, you must use one of these iPhone LODs to send the signal to your amp. I recently bought a 32gig 2Gen iTouch and confirmed all this.

Instructions for use

1. Plug in ALO iPhone/iTouch cable*
2. When asked if you would like to use in airport mode choose yes, if you want.
3. Use with your amp.

The iPhone cable also works fine with any ipod.

*the phone can be on, no need to power down the phone

Thank you all,

Ken

It probably needs pin 11 to be grounded like in the iPhones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back