Does anyone collect vintage cans?
Nov 18, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fun hobby, and there are many curiosities from the various periods over the last 35 years when suddenly a bunch of designers would get crazy ideas about headphones and there'd be a big spurt of Headphonia. Some of these sold so poorly that they'll be hard to find but worth the effort.

<snip>

That's it. Memory dump complete.

Walt Brand

What an awesome post from the past. Walt you are the man!
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by kank_39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi y'all,

Just to start off, i've gotta say that i'm no audiophile nor headphile but I've just got a nitch for headphones (although it's clear that they sound better than most earphones IMO).

Anyway I'm a collector and i'm thinking of holding off my present collecting focus for the time being and starting off on a vintage headphones collecting escapade. From the looks on eBay. This hobby doesn't seem too expensive.

May i know if there's anyone who collects vintage cans? I'm into those made in the 60s and 70s, no pre-WWII ones please.
smily_headphones1.gif
Any advice on the things to look out for and good deals would be greatly appreciated!

BTW I'm hoping to run them through my home hifi system so I'm really looking for those in good working condition.

Thanks!

I'm just getting into collecting vintage headphones. I've only got one pair so far!
gs1000.gif
My Lafayettes sound absolutely awesome! The only thing I'm worried about is the ear pads falling apart. They're ok now. No rips or tears but they go flat very quickly.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever happened to plasma headphones? I've read about the technology somewhere. Was anyone actually crazy enough to build one? A ball of burning plasma emitting ozone and IR/UV radiation into your ears might not be your cup of tea but hey... takes the cake on bizarre technology. And in theory, they should give you the best possible sound from the midrange on up.

A French company called Plasmasonics made one. AFAIK there aren't any left which still function. While I'd like to see someone make an attempt at this tech again, I hold far more realistic hope for Raal deciding that there is a market for their Ribbon headphone.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 56
Then there is my favorite closed can, the Pioneer Monitor 10.

7269d1219083026-just-arrived-pioneer-monitor-10-pictures-pioneer_monitor_10.jpg

Metal, leather, vinyl pleather and some plastic ends up in something that looks great, and sounds good. Instrument separation is downright impressive, good bass, except that it is not so textured, does not render high note female opera voices so well but is good for synthesizer music and rock in my opinion. In short, it sounds the way it looks, sturdy but with an attitude.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #20 of 56
I used to, sort of. Since I earlier this year had 5 vintage (20+ years old) Stax headphones.
Sold out now though...
smile.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #22 of 56
Mentioned earlier was the Koss Pro4AA, what about the Pro4AAA?
I found a photo here.

Heavier than the double-As. I can't comment on the sound as I still need to get new earpads for 'em.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #23 of 56
I have a AKG K-400, and a AKG K140 is on the way.
My BeyerDynamic DT150 looks vintage, but still can be bought new.
I love vintage gear, have an old record player, cassette deck and amp.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mentioned earlier was the Koss Pro4AA, what about the Pro4AAA?

As long as you have a decent amp to drive them, and the drivers are in good shape, the 4AAA is sweet. An E-MU 0404 USB will drive them quite well, as will a receiver with a good headphone section.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you have a decent amp to drive them, and the drivers are in good shape, the 4AAA is sweet. An E-MU 0404 USB will drive them quite well, as will a receiver with a good headphone section.

I've got a Headroom Micro so I don't think there's much trouble there.
biggrin.gif
The ancient pads are rock-hard though. I should really get off my arse and order a few pairs of replacements from Koss.

EDIT: I have fond memories of listening to these as a kid with Chipmunks records and Weird Al cassettes on our early 90s Technics receiver, so I know they sound good. With the pads fubared, though, they lose all bass and sound really sibilant. Not to mention make your ears feel crushed.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #26 of 56
I found a pair of Audio Technica Signet TK22s at my Dad's. They are very bassy (especially compared to my Grados), but sound nice. Has anyone else here heard them?

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #28 of 56
I love vintage hps, especial the studio monitor ones.
tongue_smile.gif

1. Pioneer monitor 10
2. Beyer DT-48S
3. Beyer DT-48E
3. Sansui SS-35
4. AKG K-141
5. AKG K-240DF
6. AKG K-300
7. Sony DR-M5

I hope to get the Elega DR-631 soon, and Pioneer 10ll/10R and I'll feel better about my vintage collection.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #30 of 56
A Sony MDR V7 would end my quest for headphones for a while. Maybe an old AKG or Pioneer Monitor 10 in pristine condition and I'm done. Old AKGs can be tricky though for once you find one a serious amplifier is needed.

I dubbed my Monitor 10 'eargasm headphone.' It's really special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back