Does anybody think you're insane for spending so much on headphones? (and the opposite)
Jun 21, 2009 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Just like the title says, does anybody think you're crazy for dumping some much money on headphones? Personally my dad thinks it's fine as he is an audiophile (has a $25,000 vinyl/stereo set up) as well and sees what I pay as pretty low. My manager on the other hand think I'm totally insane for spending $100 on a pair of headphones.

Most my friends and co workers love my DT770's since they have big bass (go figure..) and also were willing to pay for a pair of them.

My aunt and uncle also think I'm crazy with this hobby of mine (well aunt mostly as my uncle asked me to get him some Grados). He made me get him some SR-80's.

The first time I brought my DT880's into work my managers asked how much I paid. When I told them $300 my main supervising manager replied "What, $300!? That's ********* insane there Austin! Perhaps we should pay you less now (hes was joking about paying less)". My mom also thinks I should put that money in savings, but well you know... I'm not very good at saving up.

So has this ever happened to you guys? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 49
My friends think I'm crazy because they can't tell the difference between their iBuds and my Ultrasones. I really can't see how anyone with average hearing can't tell the difference between those, they think it's a waste of money but I think it's money well spent
smily_headphones1.gif
. Most people neglect it but some of my friends think they sound amazing and I love seeing their reactions. Personally though when my friends wear my headphones I'm just thinking "Hurry up! I wanna listen"

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 49
You're only crazy if you tell other people what you paid for something. I'll tell a couple of close friends, but that's it.

Instead, dodge the question. If any non-Head-Fi'er asks me about the HD-800, I'd tell them the truth. Which is that I sold a few things and that they cost me about $100 or so.

That is what happened, but they don't need to know that the total was $1,400.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're only crazy if you tell other people what you paid for something. I'll tell a couple of close friends, but that's it.

Instead, dodge the question. If any non-Head-Fi'er asks me about the HD-800, I'd tell them the truth. Which is that I sold a few things and that they cost me about $100 or so.

That is what happened, but they don't need to know that the total was $1,400.

That's actually the route I have gone at work when I bring new headphones in. I always tell them I sold off some old video games to pay for them.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're only crazy if you tell other people what you paid for something.

Yup. I rarely tell people what my headphones cost, even if they ask. If they want to know because they want a pair, I usually ask them what they'd be willing to spend, and the conversation most often goes another direction. I also don't walk around telling people what anything else I own costs. That's just weird.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. I rarely tell people what my headphones cost, even if they ask. If they want to know because they want a pair, I usually ask them what they'd be willing to spend, and the conversation most often goes another direction. I also don't walk around telling people what anything else I own costs. That's just weird.

Yeah, but I have a hard time straying from the truth. I've always been a person who tells it as it is and states his mind freely. So yeah..

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 49
You have to let them experience the sound before you tell them the price. It'll seem completely reasonable after they've listened to your great cans and then hear the really high price tag.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 49
Yeah my managers have listened to a few of them, and liked them but still said the price was too high. Everyone has their own opinion though.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 49
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I usually explain I wanted to build a hi-fi rig, but that is impractical for me for a number of reasons, and it's cheaper to get a kick-arse Headphone rig. If people say i'm crazy, I say that, yes, I'm crazy, but I'm enjoying it.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 49
At first my friend thought I was crazy to spend $300+ on a headphone. Then, when I invited him to my house and let him listen to HD600 he was shocked, and now he wants a pair. Now that I ask him, he says he understands completely and comes over to my house all the time.

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 49
Not insane, but some may thing I am a bit crazy.
But then again they should keep their mouth shut, cause they tent to spend more on cars or like.

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 49
A friend of my father's has a $100K set-up in his basement for recording/playing music. Quality in anything almost always costs something. And we're talking about audio equipment here, not diamonds, gold, or Picasso originals. Price actually makes a difference in this category (typically). Some people just don't get it. They'll think you're crazy for exercising 20 hours a week, etc... whatever it is, son. Do what you like. Who gives a you-know-what?

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 49
I told my family I was going to buy a new amplifier sometime in the future. They thought I was crazy.

That day, my dad spent 450 dollars on a jacket.

The irony was so thick you could have sliced it with a knife.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeytofu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll seem completely reasonable after they've listened to your great cans and then hear the really high price tag.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't seen that. Everyone loves the setups and then the color drains out of their faces when they hear the prices. Sometimes, it's best not to tell anyone at all. If they hear something they love, they'll get after you for the price or beg to borrow the cans, assuming that they're probablu under $100 or something.

Also, this makes a good case for DIY. Total costs are usually vague (we don't want to know and new toys, I mean, tools are prohibited from being figured into cost analysis) and you can always say you made it from a $10 box of junk you found at a garage sale. They'll marvel at your talent and skill, not knowing that you paid $90 just for the capacitors inside, let alone the $500 output transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back