Do you warm up your headphones?
Sep 20, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #16 of 80
wow, you people are really hard-core . . . . . .
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think we need to seek professional help
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

seriously though, I wonder if it is the gear warming up or just me getting more relaxed and in tune with the music.

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #18 of 80
can i put my can on an heater to warm it up?

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #19 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhifibasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i put my can on an heater to warm it up?

As long as it has a headphone input
blink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #21 of 80
That's interesting that you mentioned that, because I thought I was crazy for thinking that your headphones sound better after they played music for a little bit. But I did notice that myself last night

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 80
my source and amp are always on, but i suspect that warming them up - if they were not on - would help. as for headphones (putting aside the issue of burn in), i doubt dynamic headphones need or would see any benefit from warming up. for electrostatics, i think it is different. for tubes, i definitely see improvements in the sound after the first 20 mins or so and they seem to sound best after about 1 hr.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #24 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by beemer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So , I am crazy = P

Look at me with all my coincidences. Am I the one crazy?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #25 of 80
Owners of electrostatics know of the need to warm the system up for 1/2 hr or more to get the best from them. But there are issues of bias charge-up with stats that wouldn't directly apply to the dynamic phones which most people here are discussing. I.e. you actually have to get these phones charged up typically from 200-600 volts to run properly. They will work when first turned on but the dynamic range and frequency response improve with warm-up.

It is also my impression that most other equipment seems to need warm-up as well although the effects are generally more subtle. Part of what may be happening is things like capacitors getting warmed up.

Obviously there are warm-up issues with tube amplifiers and the like.

One of my most compelling warm-up experiences was with a DAC unit. I had bought a new Musical Fidelity DAC and had it for a few weeks. I was then away from home for about a week and when I came back everything sounded bad. The biggest factor appeared to be the DAC, about 2 hours of use brought it back to life.

The reviews I had read of this DAC unit recommended, not so much warm-up, as hundreds of hours of break-in. I have also had DAC's with no power switch at all, just designed to be left on all the time. Obviously this would solve any warm-up issues with them and possibly that was why there was no switch.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #27 of 80
Personally I find that my Headphones always sound better after 30mins of use. My guess is that the driver is "warmed up" from the vibrations and maybe that allows it to work better?? Don't really know, but I do much prefer my cans after some use.
confused.gif

.....but in saying that, I can't wait 30mins for my audio fix....so I 'put up with' the "cold" sound.
basshead.gif
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #28 of 80
Yes, I do.
Maybe not 'warm', but I turn on the amplifier and wait ~30 minutes for them to charge before I start my listening session.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #30 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by beemer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's interesting that you mentioned that, because I thought I was crazy for thinking that your headphones sound better after they played music for a little bit. But I did notice that myself last night

Same here -- especially now that it is getting chillier. I think the can internals do "loosen-up" a little when warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back