Do you warm up your headphones?
Sep 21, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #47 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always sit on my HD580 for half an hour before use.
icon10.gif

No wonder they sound so flat/thin!
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #50 of 80
My headphones need only 12 hours to warm-up until they sound clean, less than 8 hours didn't work. I leave them running 24/7 at normal listening volume. I previously used lower burn-in volumes to add edginess to the sound, but I found a way to add edginess to the sound elsewhere instead. Using the normal listening volume when burning in the headphones has the cleanest, heaviest and warmest sound. I also have a towel covering the headphones to keep them warmer.

The rest of my audio system needs a month of warm-up. The low-level detail is constantly improving. The biggest changes happen within the first 2 hours, first the bass is missing, but after 2 hours the bass is there but it sounds veiled, there is lot of harshness and the veil is covering it up, it makes it sound smooth and clean but with lack of low-level detail. After 24 hours there are more dynamics, edginess, blackness and low-level detail. Between 1-5 days it becomes smoother. After 6 days the transparency appears and it sounds edgy again. After 12 days it starts getting smoother. After 14 days there is nothing in front of the music. After 15 days it sounds too warm. After 22 days more transparency appears and there is a certain combination of veil and blackness that makes it sound kind of brown, it sounds like both stock and Valhalla power cord together, it's the worst combo. After 5 weeks that veil is gone there is nothing in front of the music again but there is more low-level detail than 14 days. It also sounds cleaner.

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #52 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks interesting.
I will check it out, if its available in any local store that is..

You can get one from HiFi Center in oslo
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #53 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you leave your cary running 24/7 or is this from your computer.

I use my computer to output the audio because I don't want to wear out my CD mechanism. I still keep the Cary on 24/7 with the music stopped.

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #54 of 80
I believe everything requires warm up from gear, cables, and even yourself. Everyhing requires warm up in order to function at it's best. Some claim a room requires settle time but I don't think that applies with headphones. It might however. I wouldn't be surprised. Since I keep all my gear on 24/7 I think it is mostly the headphone cable that requires the warn up but I suppose the headphones themselves warm up to optimum as well. Not to mention my ears of course.

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #55 of 80
I gave my twin my UM-1's and I told him to let them warm up for 15 minutes or so and he does. If you are a twin they never take your advice. He loads planes so he uses these at work. I was surprised he listened to me. He loves them. I would have had a nasty earful if I gave him bad advice. 2O YEARS in the Army. I take it as a compliment.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #56 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get one from HiFi Center in oslo
tongue.gif

Thanks!
They are located 100meters from my daily traveling route, so guess I will pay them a visit a day.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #58 of 80
Geez, I was gonna post something, but after reading Patrick82's post, I feel so inadequate.
blink.gif

(Takes deep breath) I'll just say I believe in about 30 minutes warmup. Now I'm gonna go hug my teddy bear.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #59 of 80
bah, you guys are all weak.

I inject around 40 mVs of dc offset to my drivers for around 5 minutes to heat the drivers up before i listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back