do you use EQ?
Mar 13, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #151 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't done that. But I have done a direct A/B comparison of my EQ at flat cut into the circuit and the same thing with no EQ in line. I can't hear any difference at all. Since I listen with my ears, not an oscilloscope, I really don't care about signal degradation that I can't hear. I can DEFINITELY hear the improvement that proper equalization makes on my system. Huge improvement.

+1

The view that EQ always introduces some kind of audible distortion is completely groundless.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #152 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't done that. But I have done a direct A/B comparison of my EQ at flat cut into the circuit and the same thing with no EQ in line. I can't hear any difference at all. Since I listen with my ears, not an oscilloscope, I really don't care about signal degradation that I can't hear. I can DEFINITELY hear the improvement that proper equalization makes on my system. Huge improvement.

See ya
Steve

Mr. Steve, no one listens with a scope and my reference to one did not suggest that you or anyone should. However a scope, signal generator, distortion analyzer and other test equipment are valuble devices used by all engineers and manufacturers to develop audio equipment and ensure said equipment is performing according to established parameters for audio reproduction devices. This increases the listening pleasure of these devices.

To give another example, no one drives around with engine diagnostic devices, battery analyzers, air/fuel analyzers and wheel alignment racks attached to thier cars. However these devices are essential in the manufacture and maintenance of vehicles as they ensure the vehicle is performing within established performance and safety parameters. This increases the driving pleasure we have all come to expect from our vehicles.

Because you cannot hear the difference between eq in and eq out does not mean there is no difference or that someone else may not be able to discern this difference. You may not be able to hear the difference because your hearing simply may not be sensitive enough or you may have become too accustomed to your setup and the way you listen.

As another example, professional race car drivers are able to detect extremely slight changes in tire pressure and tire wear as they race around a race track. Yet, how many times have you seen a car in front of you with a soft and/or badly worn tire and the driver is going along their merry way totally oblivious to the fact? Because he or she cannot detect the change in their tires, doesn't mean there is none.

This subject of the virtues and disadvantages of tone controls and eq has been hotly debated for eons and will no doubt continue with supporters and detractors separted into two very distinct camps. The fact is, neither camp is right or wrong. It really all comes down to one's hearing capabilities and preferences. One thing for sure, as far as the voting in this thread is concerned, there are more people who do not use eq than there are people who do. One may want to ask one's self why.

You say that you can hear the difference that eq makes in your system and the difference is huge. I don't dispute that. Eq allows one to fine tune the frequency spectrum of the reproduced signal to compensate for issues regarding speaker placement and speaker limitations but more importantly room acoustics. However electronic eq is a cheap, band aid approach to solving the problem.

If you take a look at high end audio equipment from companies such as Audio Research, VTL, First Sound, Spectral, Messenger, VAC, BAT and etc, etc. you will notice that none of their preamps or even integrated amps include tone controls. The reason is, high end manufacturers have long concluded that the fewer components in the path of the audio signal, the greater the likelyhood the amplified signal will resemble the original signal, which is the goal of someone designing audio reproduction equipment.

How then, one might ask, does one compensate for speaker (headphone) anomalies and room acoustics? By the use of passive devices like room treatment acoustical tiles, tube traps, reflectors and defractors. In the case of headphones it becaomes a bit less straight forward as one must rely on cabling solutions, isolation devices and to some extent having various headphones in one's collection where certain cans suit certain recordings more so than others, among other tweaks. Electronic eq is not the end-all, only solution to fine tuning the audio signal and tuning a system/room.

For more thoughts on this subject, there are many articles published in the mainstream audio press by magazines such as Stereophile, The Absolute Sound and HiFi +. One article you may find interesting can be found here.

In closing it's been interesting discussing this topic with you and I hope you see this as just a discussion and not a battle or competition of any sort. My interest in these forums is to exchange thoughts and opinions and share ideas that increase my knowledge and understanding of the hobby and hopefully meet some cool people along the way. Enjoy the music. Aloha.:.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #153 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

The view that EQ always introduces some kind of audible distortion is completely groundless.

My original statement: "I don't use EQ because equalization stages are essentially elaborate tone control circuits that add additional components to the signal path leading to degradation and colorization of the audio signal.:."
mentioned nothing about audible distortion which is completely different from signal degradation and colorization.:.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #154 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because you cannot hear the difference between eq in and eq out does not mean there is no difference or that someone else may not be able to discern this difference. You may not be able to hear the difference because your hearing simply may not be sensitive enough or you may have become too accustomed to your setup and the way you listen.

Personally, if I can't hear the difference I don't mind what could be measured...
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #155 of 233
Quote:

My original statement: "I don't use EQ because equalization stages are essentially elaborate tone control circuits that add additional components to the signal path leading to degradation and colorization of the audio signal.:."
mentioned nothing about audible distortion which is completely different from signal degradation and colorization.:.

OK, sorry, I'll amend my comment to say 'the view that EQ always introduces some kind of audible degradation or undesired colorization is completely groundless.' Better?

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #157 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, if I can't hear the difference I don't mind what could be measured...
confused.gif

Again, because a certain individual cannot detect a difference doesn't mean someone else won't be able to hear a difference. I like to share my system with other local audiophiles all of whom have different ears and hearing sensitivities, as well as other preferences. I try to set my system up such that the performance exceeds the capabilities of even the best ears, but that is, of course, a work in progress which will most likely never be complete.

If I can't hear something I do listeneng sessions with other audiophiles and get their feedback. Almost always, I find that there is room for improvement based on what others may or may not hear. If I only listen to the system myself there is no way to know everything about the performance as it's easy to get used to your system's sound and think it's perfect. That's the fun part of the hobby for me.:.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #158 of 233
Quote:

OK, sorry, I'll amend my comment to say 'the view that EQ always introduces some kind of audible degradation or undesired colorization is completely groundless.' Better?

It's better if, more importantly, you understand what the differences are.:.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #159 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get why this is an argument. Use or don't use an eq as you choose. It doesn't impact anyone but you.

For me it's not an argument, just a discussion, and an interesting one. It may not impact just the system's owner depending on how one uses one's system. Please see my 10:23 am post.:.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #160 of 233
Quote:

For me it's not an argument, just a discussion, and an interesting one.

Well that's where Rastek and I agree, we're not arguing here, just discussing and sharing points of view. That's why this is called a discussion board...

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #161 of 233
Quote:

Well that's where Rastek and I agree, we're not arguing here, just discussing and sharing points of view. That's why this is called a discussion board...

ditto.:.

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #163 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... post removed due to rudeness. Man I gotta stop posting when I'm crabby from an empty stomach... sorry..
frown.gif

Yo j-dawg. No worries, apology accepted and appreciated. I did read the post you deleted and took no offense. You did however make some good points and I will take a lesson from them. If anything I said was found to be condescending or offensive to anyone, I do apologize. I meant no harm. Aloha.:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back