Do you think it is worth buying a GS1000i while you aleady have Ps1000 and Rs1i?
Sep 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 52
I'm a bit further down the Grado line from you but I've got my eye on a pair of GS1000i's too
popcorn.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 52
i would totally buy the gs1000s if i had the extra cash, the soundsstage might be too big for some but they are amazing. very detailed, extremely comfy and virtually weightless. the bass on them is great too, very natural sounding.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 52

Quote:
i would totally buy the gs1000s if i had the extra cash, the soundsstage might be too big for some but they are amazing. very detailed, extremely comfy and virtually weightless. the bass on them is great too, very natural sounding.

I own a GS1000i and absolutely agree with Dubstep Girl ; the GS1000 is one the most comfortable and great to listen at low volume.

When amp and sourced properly it is probably one of the top tier dynamic phone period!

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 52
yea they are extremely underrated. i am getting a woo audio wa6se amp and rega DAC in the next month or so, im sure the gs1000s will really shine with that (i will have a chance to listen to them before i buy).

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 52

Quote:
yea they are extremely underrated. i am getting a woo audio wa6se amp and rega DAC in the next month or so, im sure the gs1000s will really shine with that (i will have a chance to listen to them before i buy).

Seems to be the go - my plan is to buy them within a matter of weeks. Burn them in like crazy and then audition
them with a new amp at my local dealer who has a good selection of amps on offer.

Hopefully it will just be a case of finding out whether the Burson 160, Violectric V100 or Lehmann Rhinelander
is the one that brings out the mids, a criticism along with harshness I hear that is the result of a poor pairing.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 52
Hate to be the black sheep, but I prefer the RS-1/RS-2 to the GS-1k...

Something about that soundstage sounds wonky when you're used to the other headphones, it almost feels too dispersed for my taste

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 52

Quote:

Something about that soundstage sounds wonky when you're used to the other headphones, it almost feels too dispersed for my taste

I'll never tire of that upfront Grado sound but the lure of an expansive soundstage headphone is too strong, I'd never make a K701
for example my 'only' headphone but it's nice to have a cavernous headphone on hand for some reference stuff like :-

Hans Zimmer's work on 'Dark Knight' as something contemporary or a German gothic church organ recording from a reputable label.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 52
Molossus is a very good track off that album..

Ultimate Grado music here:

I don't know, I think for the money I'd be happier with Moon Audio Black Dragon RS-1's if I had the ability to just write someone a check for the best headphones according to my taste... the soundstage was just weird for me, I prefer everything to be upfront and clustered, versus too spaced out because then i get distracted "searching" for my music with all the soundstage... I think at the HD580 level is enough for me, K701 and AD700 felt like I was in space LOL.

It's completely a matter of preference, I think you win either way with whatever you choose, it's just ergonomically it challenges me too... GS-1k bass is not to be trifled with though, it was quite impressive, although that amp deserves an equal amount of credit too...

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 52

Quote:
what do you think of it?

if you already have the PS1000 I don't think there is any reason to own the GS1000i aside from curiosity. I've owned a couple different GS1000s (recabled and stock cable), and while I enjoyed them, the PS1000 fixes every thing lacking in the GS1000 and keeps every thing good. The GS1000 gives up the magic grado midrange in favor of a midrange that could be called any thing from "dry" to "completely sucked out" depending on your ears. The PS1000 brings the Grado midrange magic back baby! while still retaining the crazy large weird soundstage of the GS1000.

I think owning both the RS-1 and PS1000 makes sense. It gives you the best of current production Grado in both the flat/bowl pad variety and the bagel pad variety. I suggest you save your cash and enjoy the two Grados you got.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 52
Quote:
what do you think of it?

Only if you want to be my personal hero.

Quote:

A rare legitmate criticism regarding the PS1000/GS100(i) (other than that it is over-priced). However, I note that the OP has the PS1000, so this is probably not an issue for him.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 52
Thank you for all the suggestions!

I think i need to make my question more specific.

Ok.my case.
I love grado's headphone and Ps1000 's sound is wonderful.
I have HD580, Denon D7000, DT990 pro. compared to those brand, grado is special, different and more"real", more closed to the ensense of art(music itself, not only sound)
and i don't think i can easily accept other brand anymore after having listened to grado.

Ps1000's sound is the best , but for me the only shortcoming of it is that it is too heavy(half kilo), which i think it will be harm to my neck for long-time listening.
i am going to give the Rs1i to my father as a gift. that means i only can have the heavy ps1000.

So i need a grado sound,light,comfortable headphone.I am just wondering if GS1000i is a suitable one or not.( it won so many awards). 

what i am thinking is Ps1000 for short-time listening and Gs1000i for long-time listening.
Buying another Rs1i is also an opition. but everyone wants to try something new and fresh.....

My question is:
i have heard that Gs1000i is similar to D7000 and Dt990 because the sound designing is almost the same.
if it is like that , i don't think i will buy it.

i am in Bangkok, The Gs1000i i can try here is in a noisy shop so i can't tell anything. Please give me advice.

Is Gs1000i similar to D7000 or Dt990?

Thank you. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 52
Well you will find that the GS1000i is very comfortable and light - that's one of its strong points.

Good to hear you're loving the Grado groove with your music

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:
if you already have the PS1000 I don't think there is any reason to own the GS1000i aside from curiosity. I've owned a couple different GS1000s (recabled and stock cable), and while I enjoyed them, the PS1000 fixes every thing lacking in the GS1000 and keeps every thing good. The GS1000 gives up the magic grado midrange in favor of a midrange that could be called any thing from "dry" to "completely sucked out" depending on your ears. The PS1000 brings the Grado midrange magic back baby! while still retaining the crazy large weird soundstage of the GS1000.

I think that this comment just pushed me over the edge with buying the the PS1000. I've been hesitating because of 2 reasons: its huge weight and the sound is too similar to the GS1000i....

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #15 of 52

Quote:

I think that this comment just pushed me over the edge with buying the the PS1000. I've been hesitating because of 2 reasons: its huge weight and the sound is too similar to the GS1000i....

There no hope for you now Nick01 - you're officially a Grado tragic!
biggrin.gif

Looks like we might both be in the race at Audiophile now - I've promised
myself not to call until I have the money in my bank account!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back