Do you secretly respect Beats?
Mar 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #46 of 338
No they haven't followed Apple's playbook at all.  Apple's is significantly different, it is backed up by a lot more substance and if you don't see that you are very confused.  You can like Apple products for legitimate reasons without regard for any of the advertising (as I do, I'm not affected by their advertising).  The same is not true of the Beats.  They are nothing but an artificially created image. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #47 of 338

I was primarily thinking of the iPad here - sure it has a lot of features, but they absolutely created a niche for it to exist within, and everyone else has to compete with it, on it's terms (it doesn't address a single need by virtue of its existence - it's just a very clever re-packaging of a number of (formerly) independent bits). Other Apple products are not entirely dissimilar - if we're talking pure price/performance, Apple is nowhere near the best (not even in the ballpark). They absolutely are selling style and flash over substance, but no, it isn't as lopsided as the Beats parts (in other words, sure you're paying more for the same bologna, but not ten times more).
Quote:
No they haven't followed Apple's playbook at all.  Apple's is significantly different, it is backed up by a lot more substance and if you don't see that you are very confused.  You can like Apple products for legitimate reasons without regard for any of the advertising (as I do, I'm not affected by their advertising).  The same is not true of the Beats.  They are nothing but an artificially created image. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #48 of 338
I respect that it's brought more people into the world of headphone's generally.. and that some come to us and be englightened.

do i respect them at all?...no.

Dr.Dre has had some good music and a good studio with him even backing some audiophile things like iTunes Mastering where 192KHz and 24bit tracks in ALAC? may be used. but i find that to just be more hype for his heapdhones

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #49 of 338
I still have my Beats Solo packed neatly in the included carrying pouch right on my shelf. I thank my brother for getting me those, so that I could finally graduate from sub-$50 earbuds.

Do I respect it? No... more like I have had fond memories with it, and it's like a reminder that I was once listening to headphones that were below it. Sort of a milestone marker.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #50 of 338

Quote:
I still have my Beats Solo packed neatly in the included carrying pouch right on my shelf. I thank my brother for getting me those, so that I could finally graduate from sub-$50 earbuds.

Do I respect it? No... more like I have had fond memories with it, and it's like a reminder that I was once listening to headphones that were below it. Sort of a milestone marker.

+1 to this my friend :)

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #51 of 338

Quote:

Skip to 1:25 and watch the amazing craftsmanship.

The gold plating...just makes the sound so much better.  Thank you for the laugh.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #53 of 338
Honestly I despise the brand not for the way they sound which truly is bad enough, but as the way they market them as how music should sound. So the already not so informed masses are mind****ed into believing that music is Massive bass with no mids or treble and that producers that mix and master recordings really need noise cancelling tech in the studio.
I believe any producers who use beats should be locked in a room and be forced to listen to Lou Reeds Metal Machine Music Forever.
But it's late and im a little drunk so i might be getting too into this. And I will never respect anyone affiliated with beats by Andre Young (Dr Dre) Ever.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #54 of 338

Quote:
thats what they all say... :)

When you understand how something works pretty well, you aren't as affected by it.  I don't buy anything for the image, at least not the marketing created image.  I mean no one is immune, but I'm pretty well unaffected.  I actually would like Apple more if they advertised less because marketing really turns me off. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #55 of 338
I would say the Beats are kind of a mixed blessing for headphones in general.  While they do increase the market visibility of headphones in price ranges a large number of us deal in, they also warp people's perception of what quality sound is.  I got my start with the first generation Bose on-ear headphones which served the same function.  Fortunately I think exposure to genuine quality tends to dispel the Beats' marketing in a large number of people, except for those who feel the need to justify or defend the money they spent.

I think the Beats' most effective ability is their seemingly never-ending capacity to generate thread after thread on Head-fi even though we all "hate" them so much. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #56 of 338
Respect?  Only in the sense that it is a widely recognized brand name.

I'm one of the few (I think) who approach anything made by Monster with a wide breadth of skepticism.  I used to think their cables and related products were the sh**, but I've since grown out of that.  The only caveat to the previous statement is that they do make some quality stuff, but they are invariably over-hyped and artificially inflated.

As for the headphones, the Beats headphones are decent. I've auditioned them at the Best Buys, and I thought they sounded ok, better than what I had at the time (which really isn't saying much).  However, I could not bring myself to have any faith in a company who primarily peddles cables to suddenly become the king of headphones.  I'm also not a fan of phones that have built in amps and other electronics (read require batteries to power said phones) to achieve a certain sound.  I understand the engineering behind it, it's just that I guess I'm a purist.  I think hps should be able to stand on their own and sound even better when an external amp is matched with them. 

Like many of you, I do extensive research before plunking $200+ on something.  Personally, $200 is too much to spend on headphones in general.  (Blasphemy! 
beyersmile.png
)  But I'm at a point where I do not mind spending that much (or more) if I think I'm getting something exceptional in return.  Based upon the many reviews in this forum and general bits of wisdom I was able to glean, I'm thoroughly enjoying my music and other auditory stimulators with my new Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro.  They may not be the "coolest" phones compared to the Beats, but I know mine will last me quite some time with even better sound compared to the Monster headphones.  Beyer Dynamics also have a better reputation with respect to head gear.

Just my 2 copper leads.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #57 of 338
It funny to see so much hate here for a product that sells. Know one forces someone to buy them. If people like them then who cares.  To say they sound like garbage is full of ****.  They sound good for bass can.  If it was sold in the mid $150 to $200 range for the Pros they would be a good can for the money. They can be EQ'd just like any other can talked about here.  If Denon d2000 sold millions then someone will find something to hate about. That what happens when things get popular.  

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #59 of 338

Quote:
It funny to see so much hate here for a product that sells. Know one forces someone to buy them. If people like them then who cares.  To say they sound like garbage is full of ****.  They sound good for bass can.  If it was sold in the mid $150 to $200 range for the Pros they would be a good can for the money. They can be EQ'd just like any other can talked about here.  If Denon d2000 sold millions then someone will find something to hate about. That what happens when things get popular.  

Which pair of Beats are you talking about? I'm a basshead and the Studios is not something I'd ever buy, not even for $50, and the Solo HD is garbage. People are not forced to buy the Beats but they are being brainwashed into thinking that the Beats its the only option out there, I've personally converted 2 Beats fans myself and I know they only like the Beats because they haven't heard good sound before.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #60 of 338

Quote:
Which pair of Beats are you talking about? I'm a basshead and the Studios is not something I'd ever buy, not even for $50, and the Solo HD is garbage. People are not forced to buy the Beats but they are being brainwashed into thinking that the Beats its the only option out there, I've personally converted 2 Beats fans myself and I know they only like the Beats because they haven't heard good sound before.

Personally I think it is brainwashing that I now consider $200 headphones middle of the road and $50 headphones as disposable cheap when in 2010 the i would not have spent more than $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back