Do you prefer DAC with MQA or without it?

MQA or No MQA?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 40
I think you completely missed the point regarding DX5 Lite on the "$100" MQA fee.

The cheapest MQA decoding USB dongle (*a random Chinese brand) that I can find via a quick Google search is about $75. If the actual licensing fee of MQA per device is actually $100, that means the USB dongle I just found would be sold, even at full price, at a loss. That is simply impossible. With most MQA capable all-in-one DAC chip, you actually already paid the license to use its MQA decoding capability when you paid for the chip itself. Even if DAC/amp manufacturer decided to acquire a separate license, those are usually in some kind of bulk licensing agreement that deal with a large, but non-specified number of units that will more than cover many future products instead of individual product rolling out of production line everyday.

So why Topping chooses to 'save' people the $100 MQA fee? Well, they didn't. MQA per individual unit is probably a few cents to a few dollars depends on what kind of license Topping has. However, giving so small a discount will make no sense to the customer. Topping needs to make enough discount to make sure people who don't use or even dislike MQA think the DX5 Lite models make for a better value by giving it a big price cut, otherwise people will just going to opt for the regular DX5 (and more like not buying one altogether). In short, Topping really just want to sell more DX5 quick (*maybe the regular DX5 is selling slower than they were hoping for?), so they create an illusion to incentivize those who have no interest in MQA to take a look at a product they would otherwise skip. That $100 is cutting into Topping's own profit, not MQA's.

I'm remember when DX5 came out , a lot of people were against paying for useless MQA .
Topping were advertising MQA decoding , thinking people will go with it.
But it was the opposite.
So the DX5 not selling well is no surprise to me.

Now , you can see that they have not made the same mistake with their new product (DX7 Pro + ....).

And not advertising about MQA , on a long run , will affect MQA and Meridian , not TOPPING.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 40
Another round of quick Googling:

Hidizs XO (MQA 16X) USD$99
iBasso DC06 (MQA 16X) USD$

Noted that the above USB dongle all do 8X decoding on board after 2X from the source (*UAPP, Tidal, Hiby Music, etc), so you are getting the full 16X = "MQA Render"

Also note that 'Full Decoder' can decode to higher bitrate because all decoding is mandated by MQA to be done on hardware only, so technically any time when an app is doing the first 2X decoding, then it is not going to be a 'full decoder' but just a 'render' Hence why 'full decoder' is almost always desktop device so it is kinda a moot point to compare it to USB dongle. It is not because you can't make an USB dongle that does the whole full decoder thing but it is intentionally limited by MQA so that full decoder can be their 'premier' product.
where are you hiding?

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #18 of 40
mqa.png

"Nobody asked for MQA. Nobody needs it or particularly wants it. It was an answer to a question nobody asked. While it arguably wasn’t stillborn, it had lived a short, miserable existence."

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 40
Mar 16, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #21 of 40
so,for full mqa decoding 16x i must buy IFI from list or one from two
Hidizs XO (MQA 16X)
iBasso DC06 (MQA 16X) ?

It depends. But as far as I know A&K does advertise their DAP being MQA capable? I think you will be better off asking in the A&K thread regarding how to configure your DAP to get MQA to work.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #22 of 40
It depends. But as far as I know A&K does advertise their DAP being MQA capable? I think you will be better off asking in the A&K thread regarding how to configure your DAP to get MQA to work.
im get full mqa decoded file from full mqa decoder 16x or same sound will be from 8x mqa device,as 2x first unfold making tidal or software. so,finally no difference to use 8x or 16x mqa support dac. correct?

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #23 of 40
Technically yes, but no one can 100% be sure because MQA (*the company) never release any white paper to confirm this is the case.

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #24 of 40
Trust neither the marketing, nor the hate-bandwagon of people who mostly never heard MQA for themselves. Trust your own ears. To me it's kinda similar to hearing a newer remaster of same album. Slightly different. Usually better, sometimes not. Having access to both, nice to have.

You can't generalise either but if I'm forced to I'd say, when comparing a 24/192 on Amazon to a MQA Master on Tidal,
the 24/192 PCM is often clearer/crisper but flatter and less organic. The MQA is often lusher/smoother, more rounded, and more spacious. This sounds like I'm pro-MQA but the lusher/smoother/rounded/spacious can sometimes even be too much of a good thing compared to the clear/crisp. At other times though, a cymbal or something will sound definitively more real metallic shimmery, and actually "there" or "present" compared to dull, boring, 2D, flat white-noise kinda papery sound on the non-MQA. So for me it's honestly a toss-up and depends on the actual production master session, not the format itself.

So I'm glad to have both, but... it's frankly kinda annoying to have to always AB and figure out which one sounds better for a certain release. I wish they could get it together somehow and get the best qualities from both into a new format everyone agrees on, that goes beyond this current format war.

Cheers

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #25 of 40
i dont see any difference from my dac without mqa, with 8x renderer or 16x full decoder. all decode making tidal software or half making renderer dac. compared A/B . same sound same resolution shows dac screen.

Apr 3, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #26 of 40
i dont see any difference from my dac without mqa, with 8x renderer or 16x full decoder. all decode making tidal software or half making renderer dac. compared A/B . same sound same resolution shows dac screen.
My understanding is there shouldn't be a difference.

For renderer, the software player does the first 2x unfold then the renderer finishes off the final 8x. 2 × 8 = 16.

For full 16x decoder the DAC does all the work itself.

So in theory will be identical but of course, one can split hairs over which one does the final 8x better, if the extra "work" being done generates some extra computational noise in the signal, which would be different depending on the signal chain, etc., blah blah.

If this understanding is wrong, I'm happy to be corrected about it.

Cheers

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #27 of 40
this ok
My understanding is there shouldn't be a difference.

For renderer, the software player does the first 2x unfold then the renderer finishes off the final 8x. 2 × 8 = 16.

For full 16x decoder the DAC does all the work itself.

So in theory will be identical but of course, one can split hairs over which one does the final 8x better, if the extra "work" being done generates some extra computational noise in the signal, which would be different depending on the signal chain, etc., blah blah.

If this understanding is wrong, I'm happy to be corrected about it.

Cheers
you wrote. but what writting web that there is not only double unfold, but full mqa decoder can do 3x unfolding?

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #30 of 40
MQA dodo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back