Do you give people money when they ask for it?
Jun 14, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 78
Nope, never. A) I don't actually carry any cash (reward dollars on credit card ftw) and B) In New Zealand there's no excuse to be homeless, there are so many social support programs and benefits you can apply for that being homeless appears to me to be a choice rather than a necessity.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 78
If the person's eyes tell me they're in trouble or hurt, I will do as I can. I used to let it bother me that I was being taken advantage of but giving is in the spirit. If they are taking advantage of generosity, I do believe in karma. Otherwise someone truly needing help gets overlooked. I've had the satisfaction of buying a few meals and listened to a story told.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #18 of 78
I gave a guy a dollar once at a train station. He complained that I gave him only a dollar and then tried to sell me drugs... so no.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #19 of 78
No, nay, never.

In Hong Kong, there is a notorious case of a woman asking passers-by for bus fares, claiming that she got stranded far from home and has lost her wallet. She has been doing so for at least 10 years (and is still pulling this same trick the last time I heard)

And then there are those "Buddhist monks" asking for alms on the street, in full costume -- cleanly shaven heads, saffron garbs, prayer beads, bronze singing-bowls. The local Buddhist association say they never send monks on the streets for money, so nowadays these imposers only frequent tourist spots. A local magazine did an expose on these roustabouts, and found that, after a hard day's begging, they retreat to a meaty feast and, sometimes, a company of prostitutes.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 78
Yes, sometimes I do. I try to quickly assess their sincerity and need before handing over a few bucks. Usually though I'm a sucker.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #21 of 78
Generally I don't unless for some reason I feel that the person in question is genuinely in need. Often times if you're giving hand-outs, the person sees you as a sucker and will try to provoke you in order to get more money, which is why I usually avoid the practice to begin with.

My personal opinion is that funds are better off being given to a charitable cause or local shelter that will at least ensure that part of the money goes toward sustenance and not directly toward alcohol/drugs.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #22 of 78
I don't because I barely have subway fare in my pocket nowadays.
I usually look the guy straight in the eye and say; sorry sir, I don't have anything to spare.
I have noticed my friends in the service industry (waiters, waitresses and bartenders) always give, whether it's a guy with a hand out or the street musician.
I don't trust the non-profits too. when I needed them, I got nothing.
so, I don't know what the answer is, well I do but that section of the forum is long gone. I think the best is to volunteer one's time to the needy.
I see the coalition for the homeless food van parked in front of criminal court every night, there's a line for the food before the van comes every evening.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #23 of 78
I voted yes, but I'm from a rural area where there are no scammers or beggars. It really would depend on the situation if I was in a big town or city. If it's obvious that they are telling the truth or if they are very sincere, then I probably would. If it's even a little bit questionable, then probably not.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #25 of 78
I usually spare some change.

However, I do have a story about a scammer that once approached us at Olive Garden. He was dressed in a decent suite and was walking around the parking lot. He asked us for money to help him pay for a tow truck to get his broken down car to Canadian tire. Seemed kind of strange so I told him I didn't have any money for him.

We went to Save-On for groceries a few days later and saw the same guy working the same routine with some other people! I rolled down my window and started yelling at him and scared him out of the parking lot. Wish I had a full Big Gulp or something to bomb him with!

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #26 of 78
If someone asks, "Spare change?" just keep walking and say, "No, thanks."
I only give money to drunks who openly tell me they need a few dimes to buy a bottle - at least they're honest.
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, never. A) I don't actually carry any cash (reward dollars on credit card ftw) and B) In New Zealand there's no excuse to be homeless, there are so many social support programs and benefits you can apply for that being homeless appears to me to be a choice rather than a necessity.

New Zealand is quite similar to Australia in social welfare policies. Most beggars in Sydney are unable to access welfare for a number of reasons. Some are unable to produce adequate identification. Others because of their mental illness or otherwise and are just too dysfunctional to manage the hoop jumping that welfare requires.

From what I have heard the beggars on Sydney streets live day to day trying to scrape up the $18 required for a homeless hostel bed and some extra for food. I can't believe anybody would choose this degrading sort of life by choice.

I only started seeing beggars in the last 15 years. Most of us in Australia know who to thank for that.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #28 of 78
I live in Chicago and there's a decent number of vagrants wandering around. I never give anyone money. Maybe it's just me being insensitive or selfish but I really see beggars as lazy and parasitic. Harsh words, but I really am getting tired of seeing these people stealing stuff, hassling people, and puking all over the place when they're too drunk or are feeling the effects of withdrawal.

People need to work for their money, and standing around shaking a cup around doesn't count. I'll give the clearly homeless man legally selling newspapers a big tip but I won't give the money I work for to anyone just because they don't have a job.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #29 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...B) In New Zealand there's no excuse to be homeless, there are so many social support programs and benefits you can apply for that being homeless appears to me to be a choice rather than a necessity.

There are plenty of social services and charitable groups in the United States, too.

The problem is that most of them have rules that people on the street will not accept. People hate the strict and fairly early curfew (like 7PM) that most shelters have. However, the real catch is that none of them allow or tolerate drug and/or alcohol use.

We also have the "unofficial" shelters - jail and the hospital. That's where those who aren't clean usually end up.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #30 of 78
I would never tell someone on the street "Sorry all i have is twentys"!
They may fight me for it.
I also dont give to people with car trouble. Its the oldest story in the book.

Oh really??? Car trouble huh? Where is your car, ill see whats wrong and get the part for you with my credit card. Still need the money?
wink.gif

I wont give to organizations either,because they waste 90% of the money and barely any gets to the people you want to help.

Id rather help people i come in contact with ,one to one and ive helped many that way, and they got 100% value from the money rather than a small percentage.

I usually dont give cash. Id rather buy someone a coffee and bagel and creamcheese,, or maybe a sandwich from Subway, or something, so they cant buy drugs.

You have to feel out the situation.
If its a friend having hard times, ive gone shopping for groceries and dropped it off to them before, given rides, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back