Do you give people money when they ask for it?
post-5764253
Post #1 of 78

Sduibek

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I had an experience yesterday in which I was taking out the trash & recycling, and a gentleman approached me looking distraught/deperate and said he's looking to get a couple bucks for gas for his car.

Usually I will grab a few dollars or change and give it over; after all it's only a bit of money and i've been in those situations myself a few times. Actually just recently I didn't have enough for bus fare and the guy i'd been chatting with @ the bus-stop paid for me.

Anyway, since I pay most things with Credit these days, all I had on me was a 20. I gave it to him and he was very grateful of course
I don't usually do that (see #2 below)but was feeling generous for some reason.

So:
1)If someone asks for a few dollars for bus fare, gas or whatever, do you give it to them?
2)If you only had a larger bill like a 10 or 20, would you give them that or say that you only have the bigger bill and can't help them? (or say you have no money on you at all)

I am very curious since i've done #2 many times and want to see what the status quo is on this sort of thing!

Cheers

post-5764294
Post #2 of 78

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Reaction score
Yes, I certainly help a fellow out if I have cash. But living fully of debit/credit cards I rarely do.
With exceptions to those who clearly beg for a living (drug addicts, gipsies, ...), which do not get a dime from me.

post-5764301
Post #3 of 78

grape ape

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I never do. There are so few people who are actually homeless and desperate that don't have mental illness compounded by addiction that I don't see the need to ever do it. I would help pass a bill that created better, free addiction recovery programs and realistic treatment for their mental health issues even if it raised my taxes.

post-5764306
Post #4 of 78

krazyxazn

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Nope, most of these guys just spend it on beer or cigs. I only carry $5-10 in cash and just use my credit card or debit card. If they want a fresh water bottle or food. I'll give that but cash no.

post-5764313
Post #5 of 78

Mr. B

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I mostly use plastic and very seldom have I ever handed out more than a dollar (you hear a good story now and then) but I usually leave the house with a few quarters in my pocket which I will easily part with when asked.

post-5764390
Post #6 of 78

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Reaction score
No, I use plastic for almost everything. Despite the perception, I've found that using a charge card (as opposed to credit; you have to pay off a charge card every month) or debit card is a great way to stay on budget. You get a summary of how you spend money every month, too, which helps with budgeting.

Anyhow, I usually don't have cash to give. However, I have bought food and water for people.

Interestingly, the vast majority don't seem to be interested in food even though they supposedly want money to "buy food."

post-5764415
Post #7 of 78

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Reaction score
When I was in grad school in downtown Detroit, I was hit up by these guys sometimes several times a day. I learned my lesson one day when I gave a guy looking for bus fare some money, and heard him not 45 minutes later on a pay phone trying to score drugs. Over the next two years, I heard that guy trying to catch the same bus over and over and over again.

I've also made repeated offers to buy a sandwich from the campus commons for these guys. Funny...they NEVER ONCE took me up on it. Most cursed at me, and one even flashed a boxcutter at me. I guess they didn't like the food any better than I did. I'm also thinking that's why the popular choice for the clever panhandler became "I need a bus ticket".

In my experience, almost all of these folks are either going to use the money for drugs, booze, or are running a small business. Yes, that's right...our local news channel did a segment on some of these folks who went home to their homes after they finished "working" for the day. I recognized one of them from campus.

It's too bad, because there may well be folks who are desperate for help that have to compete with these other folks. Because I can't distinguish one from the other, nobody gets my money.

post-5764460
Post #8 of 78

grape ape

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The food thing is always BS since in any, even medium sized town, will have multiple ways to get free food-be it soup kitchen, churches and some student run food programs. Towns that don't have food programs for the homeless coincidentally don't have homeless people.

post-5764514
Post #9 of 78

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, I never give money. Who knows how it will be really used? If it is a homeless person and not workforce capable, and I have the chance, I will buy them something to eat or give them the food I just bought.

One thing I cannot stand though is people on the road who are obviously lucid and able-bodied begging for money. I never give them anything. Go get a job!

post-5764558
Post #10 of 78

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Voted yes. In case I can really help I will give some cash. However, I won't give a penny to any bum, drug addict or whatever. Also, I rarely have cash on me...

post-5764580
Post #11 of 78

Khanate

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Certainly not, there are shelters and food services for the homeless. I don't mind paying more taxes for a social re-insertion program that would help them get jobs, but I'm not going to give them money when they already have shelter and food and are not willing to get a job to buy their cigarettes or drugs.

post-5764795
Post #15 of 78

Robot

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I don't know how it's in the USA, but in eastern Europe one is lucky if someone actually asks for money and doesn't take all you have, by force.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)