Do you believe in Karma.. Non relgious thread..
Aug 9, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #31 of 70

Quote:
 I wonder why it has been so important to people that we are supposed to go anywhere when we die?

Why has it been so important for people that we don't go anywhere when we die?  I'm not saying I'm sold one way or the other, I'm kind of in between, but I can see this question asked in both ways.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #32 of 70
I wouldn't say important but I think its kind of re-assuring that all doesn't end after this life. Personally I feel more and more that we are here to learn and take this with us to a next life if there is such a thing. If there isn't than I still got what I want. To learn..

Karma is definitely fact. You do good, you get good. And this ofcourse also applies to yourself and your thinking.
That's why they sometimes say: ''be careful what you wish for, you might get it.''

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #33 of 70
Awesome thread!

bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #36 of 70

I wouldn't say important but I think its kind of re-assuring that all doesn't end after this life.

Well, hard proofs seem to show otherwise...like that 8yo kid that has recorded many jazz albums and plays piano like a God. He was born w/ predispositions, and some ppl even have absolute pitch hearing w/o any training.

Karma? Reincarnation? I get it that we're not all equal, but still some kids definitely have pre-learned skills. Some ppl have predispositions to learn languages, some can barely speak their mother tongue...

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #40 of 70

Quote:
Why has it been so important for people that we don't go anywhere when we die?  I'm not saying I'm sold one way or the other, I'm kind of in between, but I can see this question asked in both ways.

I can see the conceptual draw of both.  Something of that nature is what the Japanese refer to as Yuugen (forgive the Romanji, but I'm not fighting with posting the kanji on this forum lol).  Basically it's the idea of the "unknowable" in the universe.  So with that as our preface, understanding that from a demonstrable perspective the only thing you can know is that you don't know (if you ask Socrates apparently that's how it is with everything, but I digress), then if you choose to ascribe to one side or the other its because either the nature of the outcome appeals to you, or because the answer is core to your operational assumptions (and all of us have some).  The draw for me of the notion of a past/future/separate life is a few fold.  The first is that I will often have moments where I remember events that I know I've never witnessed, or have very violent dreams right before a friend's passing or significant loss, or for that matter have a gut level premonition that this is probably my second or third go 'round, but probably the last for my brother and my mother (both incredibly bright, nuanced, centered people).  On a more immediate level, were I to believe in hell I'd imagine it would probably be a conscious perception of nothingness.  To be self-aware only enough to know that there is nothing; no thought, no imagination, no space, no existence, for all eternity.  On the other side of things, I imagine the draw of not believing in another existence is bound to the notion of freedom, of not feeling enslaved by what, for all intents and purposes, is a scientifically unfounded, unprovable belief that seems to controvert the very nature of scientific positivism.  Of course, in my mind, it is as much enslavement to unquestioningly follow proclaimed religious dogma as it is to put unquestioning faith in humanity's perceptive or analytical capacity.  If you think about the nature of theoretical physics, for example, a great deal of our mathematical and scientific constructs are premised on tenuous inferences designed to help us transcend our profound physical and observational limitations.  At the core of every logical or theoretical system, there is a tacit somewhere, even in systems that are premised on physical observations.  You have to assume something is so in order to deduce thereafter.  So really, it's just a matter of what you decide to accept as a given.  From there, the academic deductive mistake aside, you can come to nearly any "logical" conclusion.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #41 of 70

Originally Posted by Dev Avidon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will often have moments where I remember events that I know I've never witnessed

I quite often get "deja vu" feelings...some ppl seem to believe in a "multiple universes theory": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

The idea would be at this very moment there is N versions of you and I, that might have made different choices...and their choices might influence you, for the best or the worst.

We still have no idea of what happens in the backstage, so every option's possible.

Like this book: http://www.johmann.net/book/tciy.html

It carries a lot of crazy ideas, like:
-the dreams realm does exist for real, it's not caused by your imagination whatsoever! at some point a girl says she will come say hi in a guy's dreams, and she does.
-"caretakers" take care of humans on earth...they would be strongly related to what we call "aliens"

I know a woman who was clinically dead several times in a row, and she said she wasn't allowed to repeat what she saw...but that there's nothing to fear from death.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #42 of 70
In karma? No. What karma stands for? Yes.

Then again, maybe the kind hearted people I know who had some really terrible things happen to them just like to punch puppies on their days off. Life is too short to be an asshole, may as well do something to help others to get that minor boost of joy.

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #43 of 70
No, I don't believe in Karma. Most people seem to think karma is this great blackboard in the sky on which fate tallies up everything good and bad that we do. To me, its the most simplistic concept of a "controlled" universe I can imagine. People have simply replaced the all-powerful godhead figure with non-personified force that plays cop over good and evil. To me, it harkens back to childhood, when our parents ingrain on us: "GOOD BOYS GET TOYS; BAD BOYS DON'T GET ANYTHING." That's just a childish view of universal justice that all parents push on kids. To me, karma is simply a grown-up extension of that kind of thinking: "IF I'M GOOD, I'LL BE REWARDED; IF I'M BAD IT WILL COME BACK AND GET ME." Pure superstition based on echos of well-learned childhood lessons.

Or as it's more commonly put:

You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town
He's making a list
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out Who's naughty and nice
He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!
O! You better watch out!
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #45 of 70
Wait, Santa Claus is not real? In Holland you have Saint Nicolas who delivers present via roof tops on his white horse with the help of assistants in silly outfits who have a dark skin tone. Whether he is real, well I find it all somewhat amusing and I am no less superstitious than any other person. 

The idea of karma is quite likeable, I like it and do not really have a good argument to like it. Oh well back to my groovy music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back