Do you believe in cables?
Jun 25, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #62 of 108
I asked a buddy who's a physics major what his thoughts on cables were. Granted this isn't exactly his field, but science in general is.

He said think of things this way. There are many things in the world that are apparent, and scientifically aren't possible, but it happens in front of your eyes. You just deal with it and stop fighting logic and just let it be.

He said think of things such as how a pitcher throws a curveball, breaking ball or screw ball. Scientifically speaking, the threads should not have THAT much impact on the direction or attitude of the ball. However, any baseball player will tell you otherwise.

A helicopter or hummingbird should NOT be able to fly. Both physical area of objects should not be able to fly, yet, it happens.

I think cables probably fall into this category or grey area. Scientifically speaking, with measurements as proof, they shouldn't affect things...yet, to MANY peoples ears....they do. I say..."meh".

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #63 of 108
Your buddy must not be much of a physics major if he can say something like that with a straight face. All of those things are quite possible theoretically.

Also, I would argue that I've never seen evidence that cables change things to someone's ears. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count, remember.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #64 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your buddy must not be much of a physics major if he can say something like that with a straight face. All of those things are quite possible theoretically.

Also, I would argue that I've never seen evidence that cables change things to someone's ears. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count, remember.

Well, simplistically speaking. Of course you can delve deep into the subject matter and prove otherwise, but generally speaking.

See, that's the thing about subjective material...it varies from person to person. From completely agreeing, to completely falsifying....but I guess that also falls into anecdotal evidence.
redface.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #65 of 108
I believe in reasonably priced and reasonable quality cables all around. It makes sense to me that a $60 set of interconnects would be better, a $100 headphone cable could show an improvement, and $50 power cables would be better than stock.

Am I going to dump hundreds, or thousands of dollars into cables? No. Call me a "mild" believer, I suppose.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #66 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn
He said think of things such as how a pitcher throws a curveball, breaking ball or screw ball. Scientifically speaking, the threads should not have THAT much impact on the direction or attitude of the ball. However, any baseball player will tell you otherwise.

A helicopter or hummingbird should NOT be able to fly. Both physical area of objects should not be able to fly, yet, it happens.

I hope your physics-major friend didn't tell you this stuff . . . otherwise he needs to spend a LOT more time studying physics before he calls himself a physics major.

Everything I quoted is totally and completely wrong. All of those items (baseball, Humming bird, helicopter) are completely explainable.

There's nothing subjective or anecdotal about it.

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #67 of 108
As far as i can tell cables make more difference in:
a) Quality of joints/plugs.
b) Stress relief.
c) Flexibility
d) Durability
e) Shielding.

A cheap cable will break at the plugs and the sound will crackle or fizz, stress could make the cable break within or at the joints, it might not be flexible enough, it might not be durable and the conductor will part within the wire. As for shielding, I've seen cheap cables pick up radio stations or mobile phones more than other cables.

Then again, cheap cables are cheap and it has little to do with their price. Some expensive cables are crap, and just have 'bling'. Some incredibly cheap cable is amazing.

You don't have to spend much to go from cheap bad to cheap great. Perhaps triple from £3 for a 1m RCA--> mini interconnect to £9. you WILL hear the difference.

As for exotic materials etc etc, the only thing that changes is how cheaply an expensive cable was made or what corners were cut - like poor quality SPC.

I also believe in cables for long runs or for marinised environemnts. Good and bad cables will sound similar or close for the first week, but after they will not be close.

I am sceptical that a HD650 cable can turn a HD600 into a HD650 though. I do believe that silver sounds different, and that all cables can sound slightly different, but I wonder if there are reasons that aren't embodied in the cables, but rather what people EXPECT to hear along with how a cable is made and finished along with esoteric physics stuff.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #68 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked a buddy who's a physics major what his thoughts on cables were. Granted this isn't exactly his field, but science in general is.

He said think of things this way. There are many things in the world that are apparent, and scientifically aren't possible, but it happens in front of your eyes. You just deal with it and stop fighting logic and just let it be.

I think cables probably fall into this category or grey area. Scientifically speaking, with measurements as proof, they shouldn't affect things...yet, to MANY peoples ears....they do. I say..."meh".

...are you sure he's a physics major and not a phys ed major?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

His statement is definately not something someone accomplished in physics would make IMHO. anyhow physics does not go into the detail on circuit analysis as EE's suffer through so unless he's specializing in some electrical field within a physics curriculum I'd discount his opinion vs. that of an EE or EE tech.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #69 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

sooo dooo IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #70 of 108
Do I *believe* in power cables?

No, I believe in God, and I believe in what I hear and I believe in what I can measure.

That said, I have heard a difference (albeit small) between power cables on certain equipment. I have heard large differences between interconnects on other equipment. I have some gear, between which I hear no great difference from one interconnect to the next.

So, I employ appropriate power cables and interconnects where they make an audible difference in my gear.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #71 of 108
It was a simple answer to a simple question. Laid out in laymens examples. I didn't ask him for a break down analysis of why he does or doesn't believe (and looking back....he never gave me a definitive yes or no answer, lol) or more complex examples. Although, I have no doubts he could. Some people, just need a reason to argue, lol.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #72 of 108
I don't believe in anything. I do have faith that some things are true. There is a subtle difference. To believe is to hope and cling on while faith is to trust and the ability to re-evaluate.

As for cables, time will tell. I have faith that it does make a difference to some degree but to what extent, I dunno. I haven't tried anything too expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #73 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe in anything. I do have faith that some things are true. There is a subtle difference. To believe is to hope and cling on while faith is to trust and the ability to re-evaluate.

As for cables, time will tell. I have faith that it does make a difference to some degree but to what extent, I dunno. I haven't tried anything too expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Trust me on this, once you've been here long enough you probably will... I used to laugh at the idea of spending 100's of dollars on a couple of metres of cable, now I own one 100$ rca interconnect (1m) and 200$ headphone cables.

I only trust what I myself notice, and I've noticed improvements with switching from stock to Zu mobius on the sennheisers. Aswell I've noticed improvements with better interconnects.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #74 of 108
I do not believe in power cables. The whole concept of them changing the sound is absurd.

I do not believe in difference between interconnects as longs as they are all well made. Or atleast, I havent heard any difference between my Tara Labs Prism-33 IC and any well made cheapo RCA that I have. (some came bundled, some bought from electronics store)

Headphone cables are still unknown area for me. Been thinking if I should try to recable some of my headphones and see if it makes any audible difference.

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #75 of 108
Do I believe cables make a difference, yes...to a point. I have recently bought some of the Signal Cable Silver Reference interconnects, and after doing some A/B ing with all of my amps, I found them to be much better than my Kimber PBJ's. Much clearer and more transparent highs, a smoother midrange, and a more well defined, tighter bass. I went back and forth more times than I want to admit. This may only be silver vs. copper, but I know I liked the sound of the Signal Cables much better.

Will I ever spend hundreds of dollars on 1M of interconnects, no. Do I think you can spend $100 or so and get a big upgrade, yes.

With that being said, I have some LC-1 interconnects ($35) from BlueJeans that I think are fantastic. Very different from the Silver Reference, but very good. I can explain away paying more for the Silvers, since it's a far more expensive material to be making cables with.

I have found my happy place with my interconnects. If you spend more money on cables than your source, amp, or cans cost, I think that is pretty idiotic. But, I guess it's up to one's own listening to make that decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back