Do you believe in cables?
Jun 27, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #76 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust me on this, once you've been here long enough you probably will... I used to laugh at the idea of spending 100's of dollars on a couple of metres of cable, now I own one 100$ rca interconnect (1m) and 200$ headphone cables.

I most definitely won't. As I mentioned before, it makes sense that it would make a difference to a certain degree but I'll never believe in the sense that word is being thrown around here. I might be in the minority here but I want good quality but nothing further. Music comes first and our minds are extremely adaptive. Those diminishing returns are not worth the exponential costs. A/B switch testing means little to me. Too much focus on the messenger.. But that's just my opinion and I reserve the right the change it when I'm overloaded with disposable income.

btw, all my music is compressed.
eek.gif
heh.

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #77 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I most definitely won't. As I mentioned before, it makes sense that it would make a difference to a certain degree but I'll never believe in the sense that word is being thrown around here. I might be in the minority here but I want good quality but nothing further. Music comes first and our minds are extremely adaptive. Those diminishing returns are not worth the exponential costs. A/B switch testing means little to me. Too much focus on the messenger.. But that's just my opinion and I reserve the right the change it when I'm overloaded with disposable income.

btw, all my music is compressed.
eek.gif
heh.

Your position is understandable and very much respected. It will save you a lot of money as well!

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #78 of 108
I think there might be a little merit to it. But I think it really depends on the quality of the stock cables. If they meet certain basic standards, I really don't think some fancy, expensive cable is going to make that much of a difference in the sound.

Having said that, I guess I should note that I've never really tried it for myself. But I will say that as long as the cable is conductive and meets all the requirements that are necessary for the application, I just don't see how it can make a perceptable difference. Not as much of a difference as better designed drivers, headbands and enclosures or a better source or amplification, anyway.

To me, it seems that fancy cables would be the last place to go once everything else is ideal. It also seems to me that it might just be more for aesthetic purposes and feeling like you have the best cables possible on your headphones. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with either of those.

And as always with something as subjective as sound quality, I think if you really want to hear a difference, you will whether it's there or not. Psychology plays a very crucial role in determining audio quality because hearing is so adaptive. Even people who lose a significant amount of their hearing sometimes have to be tested by an audiologist before they even realize it. The brain can actually fill in the gaps and deceive you into thinking you hear things that you don't. Especially if you know what's supposed to be there.

Having said all this, I absolutely love the fact that you can spend as much or as little as you want on cables. Or that you can even make your own if you have the time, skill and inclination. I love audio and I completely understand being fetishistic about it. If I could afford it, I'd spend tens and tens of thousands of dollars. And you'd better believe I'd do the fancy cables. Just in case. And just because I could afford it. When it comes to audio quality, if you want the absolute best sound possible and you can afford it, why leave anything to chance?

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #80 of 108
i do believe is recabling headphones and interconnects since i can tell the difference

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #81 of 108
That was great!!!

If you can hear the difference between amps, headphones, etc, then I'm sure cables should be added to that list!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
believefaery2-213.jpeg

No cables = no sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #82 of 108
I Do believe a right n match cable (powercord, ic, etc) will make a huge different and improved a system significant..................

but...........

before u think about cable, u better think about u'r system first.

nice well balance system will got a extra benefit in right n match cable instead a damn expensive cable in "nothing to say about" or "out of balance" system

that all just my 2 cent....... but it work to me

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #83 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
believefaery2-213.jpeg

No cables = no sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

No music, no point.
smily_headphones1.gif
Or rather, I'd readily listen to bad quality with good music than bad music with good quality.

The system, i.e. source, cabling, etc.. == the medium or messenger
The music == the message

But I do value a good system. My point was that it's silly for me to take it too far. I'd rather spend my money on the music.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #84 of 108
I really don't think that power cables can make a difference. Interconects transmit very low power so I don't really think anything but a cheap good interconnect with shielding can be beat by any of these $100 cables.

As for headphone recables, I've just gotten a HD25 with a headphile cable and the stock cable (which is steel), makes actually a surprising difference in the sound. But in this case we are comparing a very nice cable to a very bad one.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #85 of 108
I do believe in cables (from past experiences) but I tend to work within a 10-20% of total equiments cost forumula; anything more will probably be wasteful as the equiments are likely not be good enough to take advantage of the benefit or the cost outweight the gain.

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #86 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmozilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't think that power cables can make a difference. Interconects transmit very low power so I don't really think anything but a cheap good interconnect with shielding can be beat by any of these $100 cables.

As for headphone recables, I've just gotten a HD25 with a headphile cable and the stock cable (which is steel), makes actually a surprising difference in the sound. But in this case we are comparing a very nice cable to a very bad one.

Methinks thou hast just contradicted thyself.
I've been your shoes.

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #87 of 108
I recenty constructed two sets of HGA SC-1 interconnects. I can tell no sonic difference between these very sharp looking cables and cheap-o, 15 year old Radio Shack cables. The new cables act more like an antenna than an interconnect. Go figure. Therefore, I conclude that wire is wire. Do not waste your money on high dollar cables unless you are interested in vanity. I know this may create a lot of furor from 'cables make a difference' camp, but I cannot subscribe to this philosophy.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #88 of 108
For me there is clear difference in presentation and clarity between £10 ($20) interconnect and my stereovox. The question is really whether the subjective presentation and clarity is worth the extra money. Personally I think it is but for others may or may not.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #89 of 108
I believe that cables of the proper length, gauge and impedance applied in the appropriate places make for a better listening experience than using the wrong or inadequate (broken) cables.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #90 of 108
There are differences in shieldings, twisting styles and materials. Like dacs, amps, speakers and headphones, also cables improve with build quality but the improvement gets smaller and smaller when the level raises. Just like in dacs and others. People may say there's great difference between $10 and $100 cable, but the difference between $100 and $1000 is very minor. Naturally. It is in same league as an integrated soundcard versus a quality DAC. Some don't believe in expensive amps either, but the number is smaller. And so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back