Do the comply foams with wax guards change the sound?
Dec 23, 2010 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Hopefully you know the 'Tx' series comply tips with integrated wax guards I'm talking about...

Do they cause muting of the treble and enhancment of bass?

Comply *claims* they're 'acousticlly transparent'. But surely that can't be the case.

So how much DO they change the sound? For example, do they make an ER4P sound like an Atrio or are they not as drastic?

Thanks in advance for replies...

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 12
They are nothing as drastic as making an Etymotic sound like an Atrio, but the changes are apparent. They are definitely noticeable, but not so different that they sound like different headphones.

If you cut the foam that extends past the spacer, the Comply won't affect the SQ at all.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Just something I posted a while ago:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am still suggesting those who find RE0 too thin for their taste to get a pair of Comply TX400. IMO, you haven't really heard everything about RE0 before you try the TX400.

Tips make that much of a difference?  Is it because the RE0 is able sit deeper in the ear?

No, not because it sits deeper in the ear canal, but everything to do with altering the acoustic impedance of the IEM. Many hate Comply because they think it muddy up the sound. More precisely, it (as all foam tips do) increases the acoustic impedance of the IEM and shifts more energy from transient to decay and harmonics which allows the body of a note to build up more easily. Of course the reason why people hate it is mainly on the fact that it slows the leading edge down and therefore each note is getting less defined (= muddy up). But on a relatively fast and lean IEM, the increase on acoustic impedance actually provides a positive effect. A few good examples I have experienced with will be RE0 with TX400, Phiaton PS210 with T400 and Etymotic ER4 / MC5 with Shure olive. In the case of RE0, the effect is especially noticeable with the TX400 because TX series has a build in filter that add more acoustic impedance to the mix but doesn't take away too much of RE0's strength in speed. They are rather in good balanced IMO. It is kind of similar to how Phonak does to the PFE with different filters (grey filter has less rated acoustic impedance than black filter, and black filter has less rated acoustic impedance than the Perfect Bass green filter). By increasing the acoustic impedance, you smooth out more and more of the treble and allows the bass to build up. It is a trade off no doubt, but getting the right balance to fit a person's taste is what important here.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 12
So, if I understand correctly, any changes in sound are due to the foam itself, and not the thin sheet of material that goes across the lumen of the sound tube and acts as a wax guard on the Tx series Comply tips?

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 12
How do the foams change the sound? I think it's still the wax guards that change it. I mean it's kinda obvious that a layer of material over the driver would mask its sound. 

Quote:
So, if I understand correctly, any changes in sound are due to the foam itself, and not the thin sheet of material that goes across the lumen of the sound tube and acts as a wax guard on the Tx series Comply tips?

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 12
I have to agree with what ClieOS said. It does make the sound muddy. I used to like them a lot but you sacrifice a sound quality preference for comfort. Reason why I switched to triple flanged on all my IEMs. Including my 535s. I feel like they get deeper in the canal and achieves a better sound isolation without the personal acoustic nuance that comes with foam tips. Although comfort is a problem, the earphone usually doesn't stay in my ear for more than 1 hour or so, so its not a BIG problem. I haven't had experience with the TX series, but that is only because I stay away from foam tips in general. I would hypothesize and expect that the filter would cause some problems. Probably more than the foam itself. But that is only as good as anybodies guess I suppose?

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:

No, you misunderstand me. Anything you added will change the acoustic impedance, including the foam on wall as well as the sponge / foam blocking the earwax. depends on how many and what kind of material, it can very.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 12
bummmmp

can I get more views on whether or not the 'integrated filters' in the new comply tips alter the sound. And if so, to what degree?

Comply does market the filters as 'acoustically transparent' (I guess they would say this) - but how true is their claim?

I was thinking of getting some CK10's (I need to go the IEM route because of the ambient noise reduction) on the strength of thier reviews, which frequently point towards their sparkling treble extension - a trait which I prize highly. I want to also protect the IEM's from ear-wax related damage (I produce a LOT of the gunk) - but by getting one of these 'filtered' comply tips, am I essentially negating the CK10 sound by muffling it and I might as well be buying a pair of Sennheisers?

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 12
I don't have any of the non-filtered Complys to compare against, but on my SE530s the Tx100s cut bit of sibilance compared to the Shure olives.  That may be a small HF cut, but its likely just the different foam.  I don't notice it making the 'phones any softer either.  I don't think the filter does much of anything sonically.  There's probably some subtle, nitpickey things someone could conceivably notice, but its sure not changing the basic character of the 'phone.

What could change the character of the 'phone is using a foam tip on a 'phone that wasn't designed for it.  I don't know what the default tips for the ATs you're looking at are, but if they're not foam its possible that the Complys (filter or no filter) could kill most or all of the treble sparkle.  The Shures seem to be designed for the olives and, for example, sound rather thin the tri-flanges.  On the other hand, they seem to sound just fine with "soft-flex" sleeves that seem to be made out of a different kind of rubber.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 12
I have never used the Tx series. However, I have used T400s and 500s. I am currently using the S series on my IEMs, especially my RE0. These are not as soft, nor bounce back as quickly. They have a similar smoothing effect on the RE0s, but I don't think it's as pronounced. I like them a lot.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 12
I'm using the TX100 with my DBA's at the moment and I purchased the T100's at the same time, I can not notice a substantial difference between the two at all. The Comply overall does make the sound a little warmer, but, between the two I'd say it was pedantic to comment on a noticeable difference
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 12
I have to agree with the 2nd post, it is noticeable if you are looking for that nth degree of detail, it is noticeable.  Trimming seems to help a bit, but not sure if the change is due to the guard or just Complys in general.  I have a set of the non-TX series, but they are too long and not designed for the IEMS I'm using the other Complys with.  I find a bit less loss of the highest highs and some lows with the Olives than even the trimmed Comply TX500s, only when I'm listening really closely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back