Do Sony XB700s look stupid on your head? And some questions about Senn's 448
Jul 28, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
Seriously,

What was Sennheiser thinking when they made the HD438 look like that. If it looked sleek, I would have kept them. They do sound pretty good and are decently comfortable. But they look like scene trash.

Very best,

Yes, I'm scratching my head too. Maybe they were trying to appeal to 10 year olds.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #18 of 28
xb700 doesn't look stupid, it looks comfortable.  The only thing with more cushion is probably xb1000, but that needs an amp to shine.
xb700 does have a pretty short cable though.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
So what would you say is the closest to 438s that look good?

Ultrasone HFI 580's.

I figure if you're willing to spend like $80, you're willing to spend $130 and get some solid, quality, bassy, and clear headphones like the Ultrasones and call it a day instead of chasing the thought of having gotten something worthy of your dollar in build quality, sound quality, rendering, sound stage, and style. Ultrasone style. If $50 is a deal breaker, I would reconsider the hobby you're buying into, and even more so suggest you save to get into the best headphone you can for your money. The $150 point is the sweet spot in my mind.

And yes, the XB series do look stupid.
evil_smiley.gif

Very best,

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
Ultrasone HFI 580's.

I figure if you're willing to spend like $80, you're willing to spend $130 and get some solid, quality, bassy, and clear headphones like the Ultrasones and call it a day instead of chasing the thought of having gotten something worthy of your dollar in build quality, sound quality, rendering, sound stage, and style. Ultrasone style. If $50 is a deal breaker, I would reconsider the hobby you're buying into, and even more so suggest you save to get into the best headphone you can for your money. The $150 point is the sweet spot in my mind.

And yes, the XB series do look stupid.
evil_smiley.gif

Very best,

How do the Ultrasone's perform as far as comfortability and also, which is important to me as I'll use them in the library, sound leakage? They do look pretty darn good. I'm assuming you have these. Btw, if I get them, should I buy an amp if my iPod Touch 4G isn't enough?

Thanks.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
How do the Ultrasone's perform as far as comfortability and also, which is important to me as I'll use them in the library, sound leakage? They do look pretty darn good. I'm assuming you have these. Btw, if I get them, should I buy an amp if my iPod Touch 4G isn't enough?

Thanks.

I watched a video review and this guy says the Ultrasones need an amp for use with an iPod :frowning2:

Also too bad it has a 15ft cable. 

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #22 of 28
Heya,

Ultrasones are comfy. More so in my opinion than M50's. Sony XB's are comfortable, they're just ridiculous looking. The HFI 580 doesn't need an amp. It's brothers & sisters do. They're closed, sound leaking occurs, but it's minimal compared to open-headphones. Note, all headphones all of them, leak sound unless they're IEM's or noise canceling // huge isolation headphones which are still hard to keep from leaking completely. I wouldn't use a full size headphone in a library. At lower volume it may be silent and not be heard. But at moderate, or higher volumes (where I listen for example), I leak no matter what headphone it is. IEM's are the only thing that won't leak at all unless someone is right next to you and you take them out of your ears (then it will be heard, kind of like a mosquito buzzing).

Very best,

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Heya,

Ultrasones are comfy. More so in my opinion than M50's. Sony XB's are comfortable, they're just ridiculous looking. The HFI 580 doesn't need an amp. It's brothers & sisters do. They're closed, sound leaking occurs, but it's minimal compared to open-headphones. Note, all headphones all of them, leak sound unless they're IEM's or noise canceling // huge isolation headphones which are still hard to keep from leaking completely. I wouldn't use a full size headphone in a library. At lower volume it may be silent and not be heard. But at moderate, or higher volumes (where I listen for example), I leak no matter what headphone it is. IEM's are the only thing that won't leak at all unless someone is right next to you and you take them out of your ears (then it will be heard, kind of like a mosquito buzzing).

Very best,

OK, and one last thing, from a pro, what's a good remedy for shortening long cords?

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 28
the hd438, if worn by a teen (me), dont attract too much attention. it's comfortable, sounds good for it's price.
The sound is really good when it comes from my laptop, but when I run it from my PSP, the volume is too little and the bass
is really mashed up with the other sounds and stuff.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
I watched a video review and this guy says the Ultrasones need an amp for use with an iPod :frowning2:

Also too bad it has a 15ft cable. 

Ah CNET? They ******** a lot anyway; I'll take their advice with a pinch of salt. And sauce. And a hell lot of pepper.

I think 90% of Head-Fiers can tell you straight and true that the HFI-580 run very efficiently even from an iPod.

Comparison review in sig if you need it :)

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
OK, and one last thing, from a pro, what's a good remedy for shortening long cords?

Get the Ultrasone DJ1 with the coiled cord! It's the same exact pair of headphones as the 580, just with a coiled cord and different style.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back