Do Sony XB700s look stupid on your head? And some questions about Senn's 448
Jul 27, 2011 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

dmarquand

New Head-Fier
Yeah so do XB700s look stupid on your head? And do they really leak much sound?

I'm also considering some Senn's 448s as well.  Is the bass acceptable? 

I'm set on these two so please don't suggest any others. Any feedback about these would be great.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 28
Heya,

The XB series are absolutely hilarious looking. I think for at home use, who cares, go for it if you want better bass. The XB's will have more bass, quite a bit more, than the HD448's. The HD448's for some reason are advertized as `bass enhanced' headphones, but really, they're not all that bassy. The HD4xx series really sound great for things like acoustic, jazz, rock, indie, folk, etc. When I ran some electronic through them, I wanted something bassier. Plus, the HD4xx series headbands feel cheap and flimsy. I ended up returning them. The cord is also tiny and long. I just didn't like anything about the HD4xx series except they do actually sound good, but everything else about them is just cheap or junk feeling and that's just not cool for a $50~80 headphone depending on where you buy it. And then back to the Sony's. They're great, but goofy looking. I can't take having goofy looking headphones.

Why are you set on just these two headphones? Any particular reason? The only available options to you?

Very best,

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 28

Quote:
Thanks! By the way, I've used Amazon for years and I didnt know they had customer images. How do you find that?

It's just directly under where the normal image would be.  A lot of the times no one has uploaded additional images, so that's probably why you haven't noticed it.  There's also a link though that says: view and share related images.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 28

Quote:
Yeah so do XB700s look stupid on your head? And do they really leak much sound?

I'm also considering some Senn's 448s as well.  Is the bass acceptable? 

I'm set on these two so please don't suggest any others. Any feedback about these would be great.

Why are you set on these two? My God, they are polar opposites. The HD448 has absolutely no bass. The XB700 has gobs of bass. What genres do you listen to?

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 28
Its nice for home use..  But not for on the go. Why? because large  = comfy, but the non foldable frame + large pads would mean that they need quite some bagspace to store and cant be hung on the neck when not in use, because the size of the cushions prevent that...

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
Heya,

The XB series are absolutely hilarious looking. I think for at home use, who cares, go for it if you want better bass. The XB's will have more bass, quite a bit more, than the HD448's. The HD448's for some reason are advertized as `bass enhanced' headphones, but really, they're not all that bassy. The HD4xx series really sound great for things like acoustic, jazz, rock, indie, folk, etc. When I ran some electronic through them, I wanted something bassier. Plus, the HD4xx series headbands feel cheap and flimsy. I ended up returning them. The cord is also tiny and long. I just didn't like anything about the HD4xx series except they do actually sound good, but everything else about them is just cheap or junk feeling and that's just not cool for a $50~80 headphone depending on where you buy it. And then back to the Sony's. They're great, but goofy looking. I can't take having goofy looking headphones.

Why are you set on just these two headphones? Any particular reason? The only available options to you?

Very best,

I just am very obsessive over things that I want haha. I'm looking for a short to medium corded, above-average bassy, comfortable pair of HPs that don't need an amp, all for under $150. I've been researching for days. I think I'll get the XB700s for home use, then for use at the library - well, I'm still looking. I think I'm turned off by how many people say the 400 series is too cheaply made. Any suggestions would be great.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Why are you set on these two? My God, they are polar opposites. The HD448 has absolutely no bass. The XB700 has gobs of bass. What genres do you listen to?

It's funny you say that, because I listen to two VERY opposite genres - classic hip hop, and classical music. So I'm planning on buying XB700s for hip hip, and something else for classical..

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
They look like giant tires on your head lol

I'm going to have to go with giant donuts, but that's just me.
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 28
hello I have the.hd438 which is definitely bassier than the 448. the build quality isn't too bad. the headband if quite hard but the extension part is a little weak. wire is very thin. love the sound though.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
hello I have the.hd438 which is definitely bassier than the 448. the build quality isn't too bad. the headband if quite hard but the extension part is a little weak. wire is very thin. love the sound though.

If you wear them in an airplanes, Starbucks, or at the library, do people ever give you a weird look because of the tire rims? Lol.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
If you wear them in an airplanes, Starbucks, or at the library, do people ever give you a weird look because of the tire rims? Lol.

Seriously,

What was Sennheiser thinking when they made the HD438 look like that. If it looked sleek, I would have kept them. They do sound pretty good and are decently comfortable. But they look like scene trash.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back