Do people in Austria just have really small heads or what? (AKG complaint thread)
Sep 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes, of course sample size is small, but I just got AKG K701s, and, as before with my K81DJs... the headband is simply too small. I know I have a giant noggin, but all my other headphones are able to fit comfortably without needing to hit the max setting. On both AKG sets the biggest setting still isn't enough, and immediately I could tell they were going to become painful within the next few hours. Lo and behold, after about 15 minutes I began to notice the pressure at my temples (the tops of the pads) was becoming extremely annoying. I haven't even had the chance to let the bumps in the headband dig into my skull yet because the lateral pressure is too much. It's too bad, because I actually think they sound absolutely awesome.

For those of you who have the same issue, does it get better over time? Can I bend the headband in a "thinner" U shape? I'm not sure what the "wires" are made of so I don't want to go breaking anything after just having received these headphones.

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 13
I like to wear my headphones low & somewhat loose. Beyer and seen dont get it. I consider myself to have a slightly larger than average gourd, but come dangerously close to topping out beyers & senn's.

Accomodating reallllllly big headed people would not hurt...

ooh yea, I maxed out K701's

OOH! The DT48 fit me. But they clamp like whoa.

I wish the R10 had ever so slightly more room "under" the headband but I max that out too. 

I do get somewhat funky with tilting headphones. but they sound better that way
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 13
When I first got mine I found the headband was pretty uncomfortable. I don't notice it at all anymore though. I think you just need to give them some break in time to let them loosen up. I love the k701s too, couldn't bring myself to sell them
k701smile.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm just afraid, because the K81DJs sounded great at the time, but caused me so much pain after even only an hour of listening that I was forced to sell them. I spent a LOT of time trying to bend that headband, too, and no dice. I was pleasantly surprised when I couldn't find a fault with the K701's sound signature upon first listen, too. I can see why they're called bass deficient, but my progression of headphones has slowly brought me, step by step, almost to the point of preference... They sound shockingly similar to MS1000s, which I prefer over HD650s. The velour pads are really comfortable, too - it's just their stupid headband design. Grr!

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 13
kekekekekeke

normal

thereifixedit

well, it looks janky, but the headband discomfort is gone. They sound maaahhhhhhvelous. I'm really digging these things. I've had them on for three or four hours and the nubs on the headband only hurt a little bit. After my "fix", I realized how easily they could have solved this issue - if the non-movable white part (whose only function seems to be to affix the two wires/cables together and to be the "maximum" for the headband adjustment piece) could be moved up a centimeter each, it would fit just perfectly. Anyone know how these are attached? Glue, perhaps?

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I found them to be big....

I guess I have a small head.... and brains....

-sigh-

The cups themselves are quite large (much larger than I expected), but if you found the headband fit to be too large, even at the smallest setting... wow 
tongue.gif
just goes to show the huge variance in human physiology, I guess.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 13
Yep, AKG's design isn't very good in general. The K601 fits me fine, but I can see the problem; if I pull them to the fully extended position, the tops of the ear pads don't push the tops of my ears by much.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 13
hehe, SONY sure seem to aim some of their phones such as the CD900ST at kids....this thing tortured the top of my ears big time, just like the HFI-780. I know many ppl who ditched the latter due to major comfort issues. Maxed out, the headband felt 10 pounds of rocks.
I like the T50RP, it could even fit a gray alien
images

May 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 13
My akg k240's fit me fine... And I have a pretty big head, even for a 165lb 6'2" guy.... I thought that akg's could fit anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back