Do I need an amp?
Dec 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TotalDominAsian

New Head-Fier
I use Shure SE535 on the go, and I just ordered a set of Denon D2000 for exclusive usage on my home computer.

Will I notice any appreciable difference with an amp? I've never used an amp before.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 16
Not sure about the 535, but the D2000 responds very well to a decent solid state amp. Even something as simple as the E10 improves the sound a lot.

It's one of the more significant changes I've heard amp wise. The entire D2/5/7 line improve a lot.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 16
If you amp, you'll definitely want a DAC to run your computer audio.  Most computer sound cards are very poor at their headphone amplification and even line out.  Plus, they can pick up all the internal noise from your computer, which you can definitely hear through headphones.

But, as to your question, I think all headphones do benefit from amping.  Some benefit greatly, whereas some only slightly benefit.  I do think amping is almost always an improvement. 

I know there are some very high quality OPAMPS out there, but I have not had the fortune to hear them.  Unfortunately, every OPAMP I have heard is very noticeable.  The sound is usually a little flat, compressed, and lacks air.  I really enjoy the sound from OPAMP-less class A and class AB amps, even when driving headphones that sound decent on an OPAMP.  They just sound better with proper amping.

Sorry to ramble...I'm just a believer in proper amping.  Based on the gear I've owned and used, I've not met an OPAMP or computer sound card that I've liked.  I'm sure great ones exist, however.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 16
No worries. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier

OPAMPs are usually used in small electronics and as cost-saving measures.  They can be nice, but when you don't need portability, more power-hungry amplification methods usually sound better.

I can say with good certainty that a portable amp with an OPAMP will most likely do much better than a computer sound card.  Heck, even this is a nice little unit:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NUUDAC2HP

Quote:
I must be a complete Amp noob. I have no idea what you mean by OPAMP. If I'm looking to pick one up for under $100, am I screwed? Just save up?

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 16
Oh ok. Thanks a lot. So If I'm looking for just a nonportable desktop amp, I should be looking at either the Fiio E10 or the Nuforce uDac2-HP? Any major difference besides $20 between the two?

I've also been told by a friend to look into Schiit. Looks like their cheapest amp is $250. Is there a huge difference between say the E10 and their Asgard? I'm sure I'll one day own expensive amps, but the Denon purchase has me kind of drained right now lol.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 16
There is a massive difference between the Asgard and the other amps you listed.  For one, the Asgard is a true class A amp and puts out some major horsepower.  The FiiO and the uDacs most likely use OPAMPS.  I think the FiiO E10 and uDac are about the same in quality and should do an ok job. 

If you decide on the Asgard, you'll definitely want an external D/A converter because running the Asgard from the computer's sound card will be less than ideal.  You will definitely pick up lots of the computer's internal noise.  And, the D/A converter in most sound cards is not great.  You know the expression, crap in = crap out.  You'll want to feed your nice Denons the best sound possible.  You can make a nice start with the FiiO or uDac, but make a massive jump with the Asgard and external D/A converter.

Quote:
Oh ok. Thanks a lot. So If I'm looking for just a nonportable desktop amp, I should be looking at either the Fiio E10 or the Nuforce uDac2-HP? Any major difference besides $20 between the two?

I've also been told by a friend to look into Schiit. Looks like their cheapest amp is $250. Is there a huge difference between say the E10 and their Asgard? I'm sure I'll one day own expensive amps, but the Denon purchase has me kind of drained right now lol.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 16
DACs do get quite pricey, and they are one of the items that usually do get better as price increases. 

But, you'd be hard pressed to do better than this for $150:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HRTMSII

In the $350 bracket, these guys are getting good reviews:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MFVDACII
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

Another thing occurred to me, this little guy is actually a decen DAC and amp combo.  It is probably better than the FiiOs and uDacs in the same price range.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMEF2A

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 16
The Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card sells for around $180, it's about the best headphone amplifier on a sound card in it's price range.
Cheaper then a Schiit Asgard ($250)/external DAC ($100 or more) and does not take up desk space.

The Essence STX comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound and will play Blu-ray audio to the fullest.
Has 3 replaceable op-amps (operational amplifiers), something to experiment with.
You could even later add the Schiit Asgard, plug the Asgard's RCAs to the STX's RCA jacks, using the STX's DAC.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 16
Ive got some SE535's and im running it with no amp and could benefit in the highs,etc; but not 100% necessary since its one of the few IEM's that dont need an amp. As stated above, the AH-2000's do need an amp. When i had the AH-5000's they sound 50x better with an amp, Violectric V200 at the time, compared to running them out of my iPod. A new state-of-the-art SS amp with your budget would be as stated, the Asguard and Bitfrost.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 16
For some technical reason the D2000 and the SE535 will benefit from an amp with a low output impedance.  The Essence STX's DAC measures quite well but its headphone amp has a 10 ohm output impedance is less than ideal for your headphones.  Something like the Objective2 with a much lower output impedance would make a great amp for those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back